full torso itching

fuelfool

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you have had similar and can offer advice. I'm slightly surprised that "itch" does not produce many search results, though glad for the rest of you if it is rare.
20 months in from critical level type 2 diagnosis. Male, mid 50's, 5'10" used to be 11.5 stone, now under 9. Originally Glic+Metformin, then 3x500mg metf, recently upped to 3x850mg metf. Prior to that (late 40's) problems with eczema (elbows+knees) and later mild asthma.
Post diag using Dermol 500 & 600 for washing, prior to that had been prescribed various emollients.

Immediate problem, I cannot find a comfortable position to sleep and at various times of day I get swathes of itches that move around the body. Putting on creams/lotions or having a bath at that stage seem to make matters worse (at least in short term).
Anti-hystamines have not helped, nor e45. Eurax has provided a couple of hours relief if I can stomach the 15mins total irritation after application. Fucibet has provided real relief but gp will not prescribe more.

Any similar experience, did anything help?

Only one doctor mentioned type 1.5 (because I was not overweight) but has provided no further information. I feel that no one is taking responsibility for oversight, when I asked my practice which doctor had the relevant expertise the answer was that they all had sufficient experience since diabetes was so common. Time to jump ship?

Supplementary questions (I get conflicting information from doctors in my practice and from the diabetes centre)
Dry skin, understood that hot baths and soaps are bad. Is having a lukewarm soak a bad idea, should it just be a dip or shower?
One doctor recommend saline bath soak, any thoughts on that?
(in any event I have real problems with drying, "patting" does not really work, rubbing can trigger itching, i reckon a full body blowdry as at some swimming pools would really help).

Nik442

Hi, I've had itching since July 2013, also type 2, 10st, taking metformin. It started on 3 of my toes which turned the colour of beetroot and the skin started flaking off so i was prescribed antibiotics which sorted them out but i still itch in other areas of the body. I've been taking 2 x benadryl a day which help. The nurse thought it was eczmea but who knows; the doctor said similar but they dont seem sure. The nurse also said to bath in saline water which i must say does help me. I also use a cream which contains witch hazel that alleviates the symptoms for a time. When the itching starts it's chronic. Hope you get sorted.

Nik

fuelfool

Dear Nik
Thank you for the information. Regarding details:
How much salt (presume cheapest cooking variety is ok) would you add to a bath ?
Which type of Benadryl? the twice a day suggests tablets/spoonfuls but I note that they also do itch relief cream.

Morganator

My son has dry itchy skin and takes cetirizene tablet once a day and uses Epaderm emollient. The Epaderm is good as it can be used as a soap substitute or as a cream in between bathing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nik442

I take the benadryl tablets. The witch hazel cream is a moisturiser, same as the epaderm is. Moisturisers seem to work best or they do for me. I was particularly concerned about my toes so I bath them once a day for 5 mins in salt water (table variety) and then moisturise them twice a day. Thankfully, they look like new and the itching has stopped on them.

Nik