Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JRW said:
41 in new money. I don't know the old money as only diagnosed in January. I was told this is too low, and that I may have trouble detecting hypos.

46, from my last blood test. GP didn't mention anything about it being too low, either.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Got my HbA1c results today 39 mmol/mol or 5.7. Pleased with that as 3 months ago it was 61mmol/mol or 7.7

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Got a HB1AC of 5.4 % today could of been better but not bad. Bit confused with this , I was also told my Mean blood sugar was 93 mg/dl (5.1 mmol/l) I thought HB1AC and Mean are the same ?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Excellent result, not "not bad"!!! No, HbA1c and average glucose are unrelated. You shouldn't be told that they are related because they are not. I think we've got a different policy in the UK to other countries as we do not give out a patient's average BG with their HbA1c result.

HbA1c is directly related to the exposure that red blood cells have to glucose. If you were to plot a line graph of BG on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, then the area under the line (called Area Under the Curve, or AUC) is the exposure that the red blood cells have to the glucose. Sure, the average BG might approximate to an HbA1c value, but these vary wildly from person to person. An average will not be considerably affected by a few random highs, whereas an AUC calculation will.

Also, there is a natural variation in the lifetime of red blood cells from person-to-person, which will affect the HbA1c measurement. There is variation in the "stickiness" of peoples' red blood cells too. Finally, the HbA1c value is highly weighted to the most recent few weeks, where approximately half of it comes from the most recent month, around 8% from the most recent week and around 8% from month 3 to 4 - even though most people think that an HbA1c comes from your previous three months.

So, to give an average is misleading and I would expect better from healthcare bodies who insist on doing this.

Source: I work in pharma where I model AUC curves for oncology drugs.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Thanks for the reply SamJB, you really know your stuff :)

Pearsall85

Hey all had my check up yesterday and my hbA1c has come down from 8.4% to 7.1% so really pleased that the effort Ive been putting in has worked. Even tho it has been far from easy!

Stu.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 or late 40's But had a long term infection which ended up being Appendicitis.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
6.7% In may, after 3 months of being diagnosed in Feb this year :) :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
6.1% for the second time running. Pretty pleased with that.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My HbA1c was around 6.8% for a while then rose to 7.4% when I was under a lot of stress.

Since eliminating the stress and going low-carb I've come down to 5.7%! :D

Sadly my insulin needs are still changing all the time.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I almost dare not mention my last HbA1C, it was horrific. I have autoimmune problems and over the past few months it has been getting more pronounced with me feeling more ill as the weeks went by. I was T2 and checked BG for a week and with BG often in the high teens and 20s I went to my GP who arranged an urgent HbA1C next day advising that the results would be back in a week. 3 days later I was back at the surgery as results had been returned marked urgent. My result was 177, honest. Anyway urgent referral to Hospital unit and am now on insulin Humalog Mix25. BG is still high but not hitting the 20s, just mid teens, probably LADA but waiting to find out. T2s believe me, if you feel unwell check BG soonest. Could save a lot of aggro.

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got back from seeing consultant. At diagnoses in February 112 from memory then down to 47. Now at 41 very pleased with that![THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

K

Kat100

Last year first diagnosed it was 19 now one year on it is 6.5 next hba1c test in December....

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
Today's result was 33 or 5.2.
DSN told me I must try to get the number higher and that I should relax control as I must be having loads of hypos .
I said I wasn't and what was wrong with having normal blood sugar .

:-(

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're not having hypos then I wouldn't worry.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.6%; unfortunately I got to see a different consultant who thinks fasting BG of 7+ is fine so that appointment was a bit of a waste of time.