organ donation . opt in? or opt out?

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
No! a choice has been made for someone . Putting the ownus on the individual to have to take action . Surly that is the definition of taking away someones choice . And I would have thought the doctors would be in a better place to say what use someones organs are rarther than just a presumption. If it was somthing you where truly suportive of then you would take a moment to register just incase you could help. And find it strange that someone who beleives it should be compulsory for others to be put on the list hasnt made the effort to put them selfs on it.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
That is the crucial point - you can choose to opt out so the choice is not taken away from you it's just been turned upside down. I say well done Wales for leading the way on this and making the brave move to introduce this.

Rockape671

It sounds like a good idea to me. They're saying we're going to use your body for spare parts when you die, unless you don't want us to. If you don't, let us know. Don't really understand what the problem is.

Reactions: 2 people

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
The problem is their presumption to what is right. Its My dessission and if it does come as standard over the uk I will leave the scheme on principle. I realise that wont be a great loss but I dont think I will be the only one. And I am prety sure that the red tape of using partes from people who have not opted in. Especiall when the familly is against it will cause as many if not more problems than it solves.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didnt registered because I truly believed that I didnt have to. If my family knows my wish of being a donor do I have to register? Maybe Im not aware of the law in UK :?
Anyway I really dont understand why you feel that strong about this. We are not forced to anything. They just assume that everybody would love to be a donor and make it easier to be one (but still having a choice of not being one if you wish). Doesnt it say how lovely Welsh people are :thumbup:

Ch3lton1an

I have always carried an organ donor card and counted it a privilege to opt in. I was lucky to receive a kidney from my sister when I needed a transplant myself. It felt like a positive step when I joined the register and it seems draconian of the government to assume they own my body as well as all my money! Free choice is what I say!

Unbeliever

I was put off organ donation by a V programmme a few years ago when several doctors said that they hemselves would no
opt to donae organs until it becaome common practice for anaesthesia to be given because they were aware that pain was felt quite often when it was thought to be impossible.
I have never heard this point debated since but it does give me pause.....

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't beleive there should be a default opt-in, not do I beleive there should be a default opt-out. What I would like to see is a mandatory requirement to choose one or the other as soon as you reach 18, and the right to change your mind.

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

oggymitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As an organ recipient i would certainly agree with the opt in system as long as family have no say in the matter, I would opt in if i thought any of my organs would be worth donating, at the moment i am looking into leaving my body to medical science. As an atheist i don't see the point in spending lots of money to bury something which could be useful. My family went against my wishes by having me christened before i was old enough to make a choice, i would hate to think of somebody else making decisions on my behalf once i am dead.

imalittlefishy

I am more on the opt-out than the opt-in side of this argument - although I do appreciate the arguments about the government taking away personal choice, to me the number of lives saved is more important. I am registered as an organ donor even though I know it's quite likely no-one will want my organs...but Thommothebear I've never thought of this option before and it seems like a very good idea to me! Best of both worlds.

Thommothebear said:
I don't beleive there should be a default opt-in, not do I beleive there should be a default opt-out. What I would like to see is a mandatory requirement to choose one or the other as soon as you reach 18, and the right to change your mind.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am more on the opt-out than the opt-in side of this argument - although I do appreciate the arguments about the government taking away personal choice, to me the number of lives saved is more important. I am registered as an organ donor even though I know it's quite likely no-one will want my organs...but Thommothebear I've never thought of this option before and it seems like a very good idea to me! Best of both worlds.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite frankly I think that, if you are not prepared to sign up to be a donor after death, then you shouldn't be able to recieve a donor organ in life. And I am very much in favour of everyone automatically being a donor unless they have formally opted out.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
More to the point, If you "sign up" as a donor why should your next-of-kin be able to override your wishes!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry the card, even go to the extent of carrying it when I go out running, cycling etc. Carry a blood group card as well, just in case.

I'd hope my other 2/3 would not override my wishes as I've made it clear on several ocaisions that I don't see my body as anything other than wormfood when I've finished with it. My will states ecological burial, no cremation. I may even change that to non-religious as well, being a confirmed atheist.

Opt in/opt out. I think make the choice as an adult with the proviso that you can change your mind any time.

But logically and morally, can you support a stance that says I'll have yours, but you can't have mine. And let's face it, you go into hospital needing a transplant, if the organ is there, you'll get it; they won't be looking at whether you are carrying the card.