Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all,

I had my jab on Friday and steadily over the weekend I've become more poorly with body aching, head aches, coughing, hot flushes, and a very poor sleep. I wanted to find out if any other type 1's have experienced the same and how long did it take for it to wear off and what I could take ? It actually feels like flu and my BG is hovering around 10.

I've had it before but never felt so ill !

Juicy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just had mine a fortnight ago, didn't have any symptoms that you describe although bg was slightly higher than normal for a day after.

It could have been coincidental and you were coming down with a cold or flu anyway before you had the jab, either way if you don't feel right ring your gp surgery and ask for advice or book an appointment, needless to say if your bg is high you need to increase your insulin to compensate until you feel better again.

Hope you better soon JuicyJ!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's not unusual to have symptoms from the flu jab. It's very individual
Hana

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the feedback.

I went to see the pharmacist last night and he told me it takes up to 12 days for it to get into the system so in the meantime I could still get flu, thankfully it's not though and although I've got a bad cough, it's getting better each day. Just have never felt so poorly after a jab before.

Still better than getting flu though !

SugarPlums

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have had annual flu jabs for years without effect. Earlier this month had the jab and felt as rough as a rhino's bottom for a few days with subsequent high BG.

jeves

I work for Boots pharmacy and have type 1 had no side effects at all and would recommend it to everyone!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

lacey1

Felt like i had the flu for a good few days after mine but think its worth it
The pharmacist did say i would have no side affects just wish they wouldn't lie as would help with work and being rough

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jeves

A lot of it is psychology cause your expected to be ill I believe

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brandon1*

My son is newly diagnosed and only 10 so I dont think it was psychotic at that age and know he has developed a chest infection which is making his bm high around 22

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my flu jab yesterday. Sore arm, aching all over really badly, feel like I'm aged 150 and high blood sugar this afternoon for no good reason. I blame the flu jab but I can't prove it, and, silly me, I still think it's worth it. :D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I didn't actually think it would make me poorly so disagree it's psychological. The last time I had it I was a bit feverish for a few days but definitely not like this time. That's why I've been slightly stunned at how ill I actually feel !

Everyone is different, but the benefit if having it certainly out weighs the disadvantage of getting flu, so I hope my comments don't put anyone else off having it.

Brandon1*

My son now has a chest infection since having the flu jab and that is now playing havoc with his sugars he is now bms of 20-23

Sent from my ST26i using DCUK Forum mobile app

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Brandon - mine has now turned into a chesty cough that's keeping me awake most of the night.

Are you checking your son for ketones ? Also do you know how to calculate correction doses for getting his BG down ?

Let me know if you need any help as done DAFNE so have the sick day rules.

:thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
jeves said:
A lot of it is psychology cause your expected to be ill I believe

I think you must be right jeves as there is nothing in a flu inoculation that can give you a cold or the flu, in fact id go further and say that most people that say they get flu have never experienced how debilitating the flu really is, anyone can catch a cold at any time but a cold is not the flu.

had my flu jab a couple of weeks ago now with no problems just like the other 5 times I've had it. The injection can sometimes cause a small ache for a day or so but this can happen with any injection I'm not sure why but it does.

Reactions: 2 people

Brandon1*

Juicyj said:
Hi Brandon - mine has now turned into a chesty cough that's keeping me awake most of the night.

Are you checking your son for ketones ? Also do you know how to calculate correction doses for getting his BG down ?

Let me know if you need any help as done DAFNE.
Hi my name is Paula my son's name is Brandon he was only diagnosed 3months ago so still finding it hard he might have two or three good weeks then two bad week sugars up then I will change his insulin and he will have a day or to low out of my mind with worry and dnurse on leave every time he goes high

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App