Dafne pump course

Sabantha

I have just completed my weeks dafne pump course, and after my moaning about a week off work for it I loved it!!!! Wasn't sure What I'd take away from it, but a great refresher on dafne and looking at the pump so closely, was with 6 others on course, every bodies control was different after starting on pump, we had lows, highs,ketones the works but got first hand insight on to correcting it!! Was a great week ! I'd advise to do it if get opportunity !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sueycl

Re: Dafne pump course

I really enjoyed Dafne too. I got so much from it. BUT the absolutely best thing about it was sitting in a room with people doing the same as me (b.g checks and injections :clap:) and not taking any notice. We were all equals :lol: :lol:

Reactions: 2 people

Sabantha

This course was with the pump, I did a whole week very similar to dafne week but rather than inject we pumped haha!! Was good as first day one of guys cannula hadn't gone in correctly so we seen first hand how to deal with that situation and get sugars & ketones down quickly!

jagger38

Re: Dafne pump course

Sabantha said:
This course was with the pump, I did a whole week very similar to dafne week but rather than inject we pumped haha!! Was good as first day one of guys cannula hadn't gone in correctly so we seen first hand how to deal with that situation and get sugars & ketones down quickly!

Sounds brilliant, wish my clinic did this, only had 4 hours training on my pump 3 years ago.

Sabantha

Really was great, we have 6wk, then 3month and 6month checks done in our group then all appts after done in groups, not necessarily same group but other pump users. Think you learn much more from people that know & understand although my DSN weres a pump with saline for week time every so often just to do her bit to experience it. Really fantastic service I think

dvhales

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really was great, we have 6wk, then 3month and 6month checks done in our group then all appts after done in groups, not necessarily same group but other pump users. Think you learn much more from people that know & understand although my DSN weres a pump with saline for week time every so often just to do her bit to experience it. Really fantastic service I think

I have been on the DAFNE course and like most people, I found it really good. However, now on a pump, I wondered if there was "conversion material" I could access to make the principles relevant to a pump user? I guess that the main approach is the same - carb counting, recording, step approach etc - but there must be some difference or there wouldn't be separate courses.
Can anyone help on this, please?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have been on the DAFNE course and like most people, I found it really good. However, now on a pump, I wondered if there was "conversion material" I could access to make the principles relevant to a pump user? I guess that the main approach is the same - carb counting, recording, step approach etc - but there must be some difference or there wouldn't be separate courses.
Can anyone help on this, please?
This thread is 2 years old.
Carb counting is carb counting :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your help. I was thinking that there was a difference as they are two distinct courses.
You should have had a specific pump training course as part of being given a pump. Did you not?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You should have had a specific pump training course as part of being given a pump. Did you not?
MY pump arrived from America, via an internet friend and I sat and read the manual fiddled with it until confident, then plugged it in whilst waiting for the paper work to be sorted out. Once the trainer arrived I was up and running :)

dvhales

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am talking about the DAFNE course - not the pump operation. Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. This is a national (indeed international) organisation and it runs two distinct courses - one for MDI and one for pump users. I have been on the MDI and now am on a pump, so my original question was - "what's the difference between the courses?" and "can I see the information so that I can understand if there are any subtle changes I need to make?"
I know how to use the pump.

iHs

I never went on DAFNE course to get a pump. I used BDEC instead and the dietician was satisfied that I knew what I was doing

Last edited by a moderator:

dvhales

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thread is the DAFNE pump course, which is totally different to operating a pump. If you don't know about the DAFNE course I suggest you find out and book yourself on it - it is really useful.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The thread is the DAFNE pump course, which is totally different to operating a pump. If you don't know about the DAFNE course I suggest you find out and book yourself on it - it is really useful.
I like many have never heard of a DAFNE pump course.
You eat the same on a pump as you do MDI a carb is a carb and like MDI you need to understand how carbs work and at what speed to match your insulin dosage.

dvhales

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did find this for 2015,

http://www.dafne.uk.com/Pump_Curriculum_Training_Workshop-I498.html

Patients recruited for DAFNE pump courses must be existing pump users who have previously not had access to structured education.

This seems a bit at odds with what I have read as as I am sure that a carb counting course is a prerequisite of obtaining a pump.
Thanks Catherine - a relevant reply. For those who haven't heard of DAFNE, your health providers should be ashamed! It is well worth chasing it up.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Catherine - a relevant reply. For those who haven't heard of DAFNE, your health providers should be ashamed! It is well worth chasing it up.

No one said they hadn't heard of DAFNE,!

This seems a bit at odds with what I have read as as I am sure that a carb counting course is a prerequisite of obtaining a pump.
No this is a myth/ delaying tactic for getting a pump. IE, very long wait for carb counting course thus longer wait for pump so no money spent on a pump.
You do have to be able to count carbs though before having a pump. Mind you if you can't count carbs then why not and 3 guesses as to why your diabetes can not be controlled in many cases (not all).

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Patients recruited for DAFNE pump courses must be existing pump users who have previously not had access to structured education.
Well I also would have thought hose ought to be as uncommon as hen's teeth and pregnant virgins.

Structured education is a NICE prerequisite for a pump isn't it?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe you don't need structured education if you got a pump due to being under 18? As an adult the main NICE criteria are that you have had structured education for MDI and failed to reach target HBa1c safely.