Flu jab side effects

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Is is impossible to catch the flu from the flu vaccine, it is not a live vaccine. I have been having the vaccine for years now and never had any adverse effects.

In over 90% of cases where people think they have the flu what they actually have is a bad cold.

Lorna

Noonoo83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have my flu jab done every year and within days I get flu it's not un common to get it after the jab as it contains a small amount of the flu virus but diabetics who tend to have low immune systems are more likely to get flu

Janeknight

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a type one for forty years, and had a kidney transplant five years ago. A nurse arched into my house uninvited yesterday, saying she ad come to give me a flu jab - firstly, I haven't had a jab for fifteen years, and have had mild flu only once. This is because I eat an incredibly healthy diet and supplements, and don't smoke. I believe you don't need vaccinations if you lead a healthy lifestyle. Secondly, the nurse had no idea that being immunocompromised due to transplant, was a contra-indication against having the flu jab. Thirdly, she had no idea of all the toxins present in flu jabs, including mercury and cells from animal parts or foetuses, and just said that nurses weren't told all the information abut vaccines, just told to 'go and jab people!'. None of this information was in my notes, and had I not been on the ball, she would have just jabbed me! I think people should be better informed about the vaccines, and not just pressured into having it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Brandon - I don't think you can send a private message until you've done a certain number of posts in the forum.

In regards to sick day rules for your son - do you have any ketone test strips or urine test strips ? This is important to check for when someone is ill as they can become more resistant to insulin and the BG can rise, checking for ketones can prevent ketoacidosis.

Generally if his blood glucose is more than 13 mmol/l - then test for ketones. If none are present then continue to monitor every 4-6 hours, using a correction dose when raised even if not eating, increase by 1-2 units if unwell for more than a day.

If ketones are present and between 1.5 - 3 mmol/l on Optium meter, then calculate his total daily dose (TDD) from the previous day (include background and quick acting) and give 10% of TDD as quick acting insulin every 2 hours plus the usual quick acting for food if eating and his background insulin as normal/

If ketones are over 3 mmol/l on Optium then give 20% of his TDD as quick acting insulin every 2 hours + usual QA for food and usual Background Insulin.

He should be drinking sugar free fluids at least 100ml/hour.

Hope he's feeling better soon - try not to panic, complications occur with raised blood glucose levels over a prolonged period of time, we all get ill, have infections, raised levels and don't panic too much it's just remembering to take care of the illness and the rest should fall into place - let me know if what i've said is straight forward, hopefully not too complicated, it's alot to take in so here if you need any help :thumbup:

zztopbanana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, liars, cheats, thieves, discourtesy, egotism,
I've had them for the last 4 or 5 years and always been just fine and had this year's on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and by Monday morning was rough as a dog - cough, throat, headache, sniffles, sneezing, shivering, I had the lot (and yes, ladies, it WAS man flu...really....)

I spoke to the surgery about picking a prescription up later in the week and mentioned about being knocked for six and they told me it wasn't a live vaccine and must have picked it up off someone in the queue.

Anyway, whatever the source, I was rough for a good couple of weeks and it ranks as one of the worst colds/flu whatever I've ever had.

I didn't want to make up and honey and lemon for fear of further elevating my sugars which resulted in the cough dragging its feet - which in turn disturbed my sleep which in turn made me tired and irritable (or more irritable, should I say....) which makes you weak which lengthens the recovery time.

So, the short answer is yes, I had the jab, and yes, for whatever reason, I was wiped-out for two and a half weeks.

Brandon1*

Hi juicyj thank you for your advice I have been checking his ketones so far they have only been 0.2 so I up is morning insulin from 3 to 5 and the the afternoon from 4 to 6 teatime from 6 to 8 on his novarapid his night Lantos from 10 to 12 the yesterday and we have had better readings today seam like worst is over I hope thank you again for your help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jeves

So it's like I've said it's coincidental that these blood sugars have arisen not the flu jab

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the flu jab for the last 5 years, first 3 times was fine. Then 2 years ago I had muscle pain, headache, hot flushes for a couple of days - which was fine. Last year though I had the same symptoms but much worse and I was up all night vomiting, the kind where you feel like your going to die.

Just because the Doctors and Nurses say it can't make you ill, doesn't mean they are right. There is a lot we still don't understand about the human body. I won't be having the jab this year.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i am very fortunate to very rarely get ill, colds flus etc, although the flu jab a few weeks ago didnt make me ill at the time it certainly is a coincidence that ive been suffering this last week with a cold that rates in the top 3 worse cold ever for me, i will be nervous next year to have it again, but im also thinking how bad might this have been had i not had it

Brandon1*

Being is mum I opted to have the flu jab to I had a but of a sore arm and a stiffly nose but nothing else I think it must be down to where diabetics have a lower immune system hope you all feel better soon

Sent from my ST26i using DCUK Forum mobile app

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Noonoo83 said:
I have my flu jab done every year and within days I get flu it's not un common to get it after the jab as it contains a small amount of the flu virus but diabetics who tend to have low immune systems are more likely to get flu

The flu jab is not a live vaccine and does not contain any of the virus

Lorna

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
From the NHS website:

Can the flu jab cause flu?

No. The vaccine does not contain any live viruses, so it cannot cause flu. You may get a slight temperature and aching muscles for a couple of days afterwards, and your arm may feel a bit sore where you had the injection. Other reactions are rare and flu jabs are very safe.]

janekelleher

I had a flu jab six weeks ago totally fab no side effects, colds or illness - I am a teacher too and kids constantly ill so thoroughly recemmend it to all type 1's :)

Denisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After I had mine I had higher temperature for a few days, my sugar went much higher than usually. Now 2 weeks later I got a proper flu. Funny thing is it's the first time in 8 years and I never had the jab before.

Flycaster

Recently diagnosed as type 1 this May and have had my first flu jab. The second and third and fourth day was aching, sore throat, headaches and just above the site of the needle I had a massive lump on my arm which was bright red and very hot to the touch. Over a week later still have a bruise but the flu like symptoms have gone.