Some advice with blood sugar control very high

andreaabbott1

Hello I am posting on behalf of my husband who is a techno phobic.
He is 66 and was diagnosed with type 2 when he had a heart bypass 12 years ago

To be honest he has been in denial all that time and had abused himself with what he eats
these can include sweets meant for kids , crisp, pies, chips, cakes.

I have kept on at him but to no avail

The past fortnight he blood sugars have been in the 20 obviously he has had headaches and felt tired and had a wake up call.

He will make every excuse going for not exercising and for comfort eating . The same as I do for smoking

He takes 1000 mg slow release metformin daily which he takes in the morning ( he still gets the dumping urge and the runs)
He also takes
Aspirin 75 mg
Levothyroxine 125 mg
Amlodipine 10 mg
Atenolol 50 mg
Omeprazole 10 mg
He takes all these in the morning at the same time
and takes Perindopril 8mg at night

His blood sugar this morning was 11.4

he has just eaten two hard boiled eggs and two slices of burgen sunflower and chia with real butter

I have told him to take his bloods again in 2 hours time

normally 2 hours after eating anything his bloods are 17.4

how much should he drink water wise in the day

and what is the average for morning blood sugar levels

Our GP doesnt seem at all bothered but surely maintaining high blood between 11 and 20 is not healthy

Andrea

Carbdodger

Morning
I would be horrified to have BGS numbers of that order. I aim for in the 5's first thing and in the 6's after food. I do this through diet and exercise alone keeping my carbs to around 30 gr a day. As much as burgen bread is lower in carb then others I think it's nearly 10g a slice so 2 to start the day would be a most of my daily in take. Instead I prefer to get my carb allowance from green veggies, cauli, swede and celeriac. I do make desserts using almond flour and sugar substitutes. I have no cravings for "comfort" foods as my diet is varied and doesn't leave me hungry.

At 66 your husband is but a youngster so by not looking after himself he runs the risk of diabetic complications which could really harm his and your quality of life.

Have him look at the low carb recipe section here and maybe he can be persuaded to change his diet and see if that helps his numbers?
Cd

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are correct. BG levels should be kept in single figures and preferably under 7 if your husband wants to avoid any of the complications associated with Diabetes. Once these start it can be difficult to reverse them so he needs to change now.

It looks like he needs a complete change of diet. Read the posts on the forum as there is so much information on diet. Although not always recommended by the medical professions you will find most contributors on here believe in the benefits of reducing intake of carbohydrates as it is these that your body converts to sugars.

My advice would be to eliminate all sweets, cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including most fruit juices, white bread, potatoes in most forms, vegetables grown below ground, white rice, pasta, pizza, pies and fried foods. Also anything using refined white flour. Watch out for all breakfast cereals which can be high in both carbs and sugar. If buying supermarket packaged, tinned or frozen foods look for the traffic light symbols and avoid most things with red lights.

Substitute wholegrain seeded bread, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, green vegetables (or grown above ground as less starch). Increase your proteins such as lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs etc.

This is not an extensive list but should get you started. Its also much easier if the whole family joins in. Smaller portions together with regular exercise ( if only a half hour walk every day) will also help to reduce BG levels as well as weight.

Keep asking questions. We all love to help and give you the benefit of our own experiences

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose sell a loaf called LivLife which is half the carbs of most other breads. Don't confuse it with their own brand LuvLife. Its a bit pricy at £1.99 for a small loaf but not too bad if you are cutting down on the number of slices you are eating.

andreaabbott1

I love waitrose stuff, he complains about what i eat because I strictly stick to organic as I am not a fan of pesticides

He has gone off on one now saying he will just eat bacon and gammon and wont eat our food

He does suffer but is in denial He has really bad headaches, yawns all the time because he is so tired even though he sleeps 8 hours a night.
obviously he is grumpy, he has muscle aches, which is his excuse for not coming to the gym with me. because the back of his legs hurt

I have battled for 12 years to make him realise the damage he is doing but it is to no avail as he dont attend his doctors appointments

he hasn't had a fasting blood test done now for 3 years

I know it makes me sound horrid I am 20 years younger than him we have 2 disabled kids and TBH I dont need a grown man needing more attention than they do and he really wont help himself.

He will not eat to get his sugars down then think everything is ok and go back to stage one of scoffing what he likes

Carbdodger

I really have to disagree with Madbazoo in relation to replacing white grains with whole meal or white rice for brown etc for a lower carb diet. You will not achieve a low carb diet by following this method. A grain is a grain. A carb is a carb. Regardless of colour. Seek to eliminate them in their entirety. Get your husband to check this out by measuring his BGS.
Replace rice of any colour with cauliflower rice. Put the cauli in a food processor and let it go to grains. Either steam rthe grains or put in a bowl with some water and some seasoning, cover and microwave for a few minutes. Goes with most meals. Substitute potatoes with celeriac or swede.
Have a look in the recipe section for low carb bread alternatives. The one minute muffin works well.
cd

andreaabbott1

Is that raw cauli? then cook it after its been in the food processor ??

I have heard of cauliflower mash as well but cant find a recipe of how to make it

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
BS that high for a long period can affect him mentally as well, headaches, severe mood swings, muscle ache, tiredness, broken sleep, so it'll be difficult for him.

Burgen soya and linseed is the better bread, the sunflower and chia can still cause spikes. The livlife is even better. Feed him more meat, more veg, beans, eggs, cheese, anything to get hum off white carbs.

I tried to replace the carbs with fatty/meat snacks initially, such as bacon, peperami, cheese, anything basically that isn't a carb, and will get him bs down.
My mood improved, and I could eventually go onto a low cal diet, watching what carbs I ate, and avoiding any that gave me a bad spike.
Classic healthy foods will be a good start, avoid the really bad obvious choices, then build from there.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
andreaabbott1 said:
Is that raw cauli? then cook it after its been in the food processor ??

I have heard of cauliflower mash as well but cant find a recipe of how to make it

You can use cauli as a bulker in nearly anything.

Cauliflower mash is just that.

Boil it, squash it.

Optionally add milk, butter, season to taste.

Reactions: 2 people

Carbdodger

Andrea
Yes that is raw cauli into your food processor. You can freeze once processed so ready for next time. Try and keep "bite" in it when you cook it.
Cauli mash as Douglas says is just cauli boiled and mashed. If you have a stick blender try using that. You can add grated cheese as well for "cauliflower cheese" without the need to make a flour (bad) based sauce.

To give your husband a wake up call in terms of what might await him (and you) if he doesn't start to look after himself now try and get him to read a thread on here titled "Terminal and scared" by kman. (there must be a way of inserting the link directly to it but that's beyond me). Your husband should surely want to look after himself to spare you from having to care for an invalid.

Cd

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
It sounds like low carbing would not be palatable to him and therefore a diet he would not be likely to maintain.

Reducing carbs and sneaking better carbs in may be the answer.

I like cauliflower but frankly cauliflower rice, mash and tortillas are to me inedible more than once. Often low carb recipe's replace flower with almond flour. I can't stand Almonds and much as people tell you that you will get used to the taste frankly no you don't.

For me it is a compromise I reduce carbs not low carb.

Any changes to diet have to be sustainable. Exercise and weight loss really helped me but again you have to want to do it.

This may be a little blunt and intrusive. Sounds like your at the end of your fuse with this bloke on more than one level though. Perhaps you need to sort other things out with him first. I know how hard it is looking after a disabled child even though mine is now in his mid 20's it takes a lot out of you, it is tiring.

Carbdodger

Mongoose

Do you really have to be so negative? Just because you have a problem with things doesn't mean it's not going to work for others.
Cd

Morganator

My Mum is type 2 but because of dementia I deal with her diet and medication, with the help of wonderful Community Nursing Team. The advice for morning levels I was given was to keep her around 7 as this would reduce the risks of hypo and therefore falls as she relies on a zimmer.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Carbdodger said:
Mongoose

Do you really have to be so negative? Just because you have a problem with things doesn't mean it's not going to work for others.
Cd

Carbdodger why do you have to accuse me of being negative. This lass is struggling to get him to change anything so a radical diet is hardly going to be realistic is it?

Am I saying don't try it? No. I am being realistic that little changes initially are more likely to be more achievable than forcing big changes on someone who does not appear to want to change.

You may enjoy eating that stuff others don't real world! You are happy with it and it is sustainable for you.

I was giving examples of why for me and possibly for others it will not work.

Reactions: 2 people

Carbdodger

Whoooaaa hold on there. I'm not advocating a cauliflower diet! A low carb diet is super varied and delicious.
Meals this week have included:
Breakfasts - eggs and bacon, chorizo omelette, bacon sarnie in low carb minute muffin bread
Lunch - asparagus soup, smoked mackerel salad, chicken tomato avocado salad
Dinner - roast belly of pork with roast veg, steak, asparagus and mushrooms, Thai green chicken curry

The curry was the only dish with cauli rice!

If I'd wanted more food (which I didn't) I would have added in flax crackers with cheese or pâté, Lidl's yogurt with berries, sugar free jelly with cream, kale chips, .......

I've also been to the gym each day for about 90 mins a session so getting plenty of energy from this way of eating.

It is a complete misconception that low carb = boring.

Cd

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I am glad your enjoying evangelising however that really would not suit me. Would need a crowbar to open my bowels for a start.

A lot of salty processed products such as bacon and chorizo.

But me and you are not the issue and your really not going to sell that to someone with the issues described by the op.

Carbdodger

Again with the negativity Mongoose. Do you know how to be nice?
If what you call evangelising saves pain and heartache then so be it. Far too many folks with diabetes don't get what it can do to them.
A couple of bits of processed meat is the extent of it in my diet so no it I'm not having lots of salt. Far from it.
Sometimes people respond best to drastic changes. There is a tendency on here at times to be all softly softly and not get people to face up to the real dangers.
Cd