Pump or inject? 9 yr old new diagnosis

Sarah1980

My 9 yr old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 3 weeks ago. We only knew something was wrong when her breathing and pulse got extremely fast and she was taken to A&E. We were told she had DKA. Doctors told me later on that it's the worst they have seen in a long time, her veins had collapsed had become dehydrated and ketones the next day were still 8.6. She's been so brave with everything she's been through, but is now needle phobic, she will not inject herself and she will only let me do it, even refused the nurses in hospital. She is ok doing her glucose level herself though. In 3 weeks we've been to hell and back. I'm so proud of her. In this short time she's managed to get back to school and is living her life exactly like she used to. I need some advice on how to encourage her to inject herself and get over this fear. I have to go in lunchtime to give her insulin, I'd like to give her independence back so I was thinking about a pump. Any thoughts?? She's quite clumsy, and doesn't like the cannula as it's still fresh in her mind when they couldn't get then in at hospital as her veins had collapsed. We are managing her carbs at a 14 /1 ratio and have already got them in steady single figures so would a pump be best as we were offered one today

LaughingHyena

Sorry to here your news but glad you found this board. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and the support here has been amazing, so nice to be able to ask people who deal with the issues day to day.

I've just started on the pump, just over a month ago now. I'm finding it's going really well so far, however I do have to be really accurate in counting my carbs, a small error seems to have a much bigger effect on my blood sugar on the pump than it did on injections. Even though I felt I had got to grips with things on injections I have had to learn a whole lot more. The pump has lots of advantages, but I wouldn't say it has been an easy option.

I would defiantly investigate the pump, the ability to have very small doses, and to be able to have less insulin when I exercise is already making quite a difference. I still have some work to do getting my background rates sorted through that day though.

The pump cannulas are different to the one your daughter probably had in hospital, they don't go into a vein, just under the skin. I found quite a few videos on you tube of people inserting their pump cannulas, it really helped me get over that part of the process. Do you think your daughter would be willing to watch a couple?

Here's one to get you started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wj1xH8AM7Y

There is also this one form the same person about over coming her needle phobia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlHdQcY-u38

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Def go for the pump if its been offered, it will make your daufghters life much easier in the long run I'm sure. Goodluck :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Having helped a now 9 year old child with a pump and mum long distance by phone calls I would definitely say a pump.

A pump can be hard work for the parent and I would definitely say get a pump with a remote control, as this is much easier other than an omnipod for both child and parent. It allows the parent to sit down when child has gone to bed to review and change what is needed....without interupting the child.

The cannulas are nothing like hospital cannulas... But I can inderstand your childs fear... But it does mean you and your child would have one cannula every 2 or 3 days and not constant needles..

The child and parent I help know they can contact me anytime day or night and I have given this support for 2+ years now. However, I am rarely needed nowadays as the child and parent manage so well... But we have formed a great friendship despite never meeting.

It is good for child and parent at a young age. I have recently met another patent whose daughter was diagnosedd at 15 and has completely denied doing her injections, blood tests and was given a pump which she also refuses to use and she has been in dka and intensive care 4 times in recent years. If she and her parents had been given the pump and carb counting course and good support she would not have been in so much trouble now with understanding her diabetes and managing her life....

It is hard work for a parent and school and dsns will have to be involved too, but having seen two extremes, I know that my advice would be to take the option of a pump...

Sarah1980

Really appreciate all your thoughts. I will sit her down and watch the videos hopefully in the next couple of days. I'm trying not to push too much too soon. The pump we have been offered has a remote, our diabetic nurse showed us how it worked etc but she completely refused to even look or listen. As all she saw was tubing and cannula. Obviously after the dka, she hates any wires, tubes etc. she had it really bad, they almost had her airlifted to Cardiff as they couldn't get any viens as they had collapsed. The doc stayed most of the night with her even though he had finished his shift at 8pm, he told me the next day she probably only had another half hour or so left til they couldn't help her. I was totally against the pump at first, but I am really seriously considering trying to get her to agree to one now as I feel she needs to grow and have independence from me esp at her age.

Thank you all

Sarah x