Daughter 8 diagnosed this week...........

Debx

Hi, I have just found this site whilst searching online for answers. My daughter was just diagnosed on Monday this week and it has turned our world upside down :( .
I feel sooooo anxious & stressed whilst still trying to put on a brave face for her. One of the many things im struggling with is what to let her eat. We are on 4 insulin injections a day at the moment while they try to sort out her blood sugar levels. We have been as high as 30.5 & the lowest at 14 so far.
In hospital they said if she's hungry let her eat, at the moment she seems contantly hungry.
Last week before diagnosis she would have grazed between the fruit bowl & the biscuit tin. Now I am looking at everything with a different eye. She's only 8 so hasn't fully comprehended whats going on.
Basically inbetween meals what do you normally opt for & how strict do I need to be regarding her selections.
Thank you for any help you may be able to give & im sure this will be the 1st of very many questions

MrsDMiles

Hello
My little boy was diagnosed in Feb I was completely heartbroken it does get easier from someone who thought it never would.. The hunger will soon carb down. Oscar ate lots of cheese sugar free jelly meats vegetables eggs.. Low carb crisps wotsits quavers etc.
Lovely group on Facebook called diabetic Mums. Come join us xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will soon learn to carb count, and anything under 10g carb is generally ok. So half an apple, or some cheese (0g), sliced meats (0g), 2 rich tea biscuits (5g each), 1 digestive (10g), a frubes tube (6g)

I hope that's a start for you. Read packets, browse the site, take some deep breaths. You'll cope, we all do :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You have my sympathy as it must be so difficult with a child. There are many discussions about foods and diet on this forum. Whilst I would let your daughter satisfy her hunger I would not let her go overboard on carbs as these are the problem for most of us. Carbs are converted to glucose in the stomach and as diabetics can't metabolise glucose properly (unless on insulin or enough tablets etc) they need to be kept under control. The meter you are using will help guide you on which foods are a problem. Whilst insulin can be adjusted to match carb intake (carb counting) it is preferable to avoid weight gain to keep things sensible. Keep any carbs low-GI where you can to smooth absorption and fat can be a help as it slows absorption and isn't a problem. So go for veg, protein, fat and sensible amounts of carbs. We've all become addicted to snacking over the last 50 years or so with TV adverts helping (!). If possible try to avoid too much snacking and where your daughter does, nuts and berries are a good suggestion.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Debx and welcome to the forum!

Prior to diagnosis the body starts to breaks down fat and muscle as it cannot utilise the food we consume due to lack of insulin, this is why sudden weight loss and extreme thirst is the first sign of diabetes, once we get started on insulin the body wants to build up its reserves again and this is why we are starving hungry post-diagnosis.

So hopefully once they get her insulin doses right and you get the hang of carb counting there's less of a chance of her being hungry between meals, in the mean-time for snacks between meals try to get her to eat foods that are low in carbs such as cheese, ham slices or carrot/celery sticks with a dip. The suggestion by MrsDMiles to join other Mum's on Facebook is an excellent idea!