Carbs and Cals

M

Maybird

Just bought the pocket Counter Book Carbs and Cals. Only had a quick glance through it but looks like it could be a bible for pre and diabetics Tells you everything about food portions cal carbs etc so glad I have bought it. Just as a matter of interest do any of you actually weigh your food to get the portions right for you or do you just judge the size of it on the plate

LaughingHyena

I've found it is much more accurate if I weigh things out, take ages though.

What I tend to do is every so often (usually if I have a few dodgy numbers) is to weigh out a few meals. Mostly to check I haven't changed the portion size without really noticing. Once you've done it a couple of times you get to know how much of something you usually eat.

I do try and stick to using the same plates/bowls/serving spoons for particular foods too.

Carbs and cals is great for eating out when you're not really going to be able to measure anything.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is a good book and I got mine free with the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert. It's great for a quick reference but must admit I weigh my carbs out most of the time just so I can get the insulin dose as accurate as possible. (I'm type 1)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I used to go by a little pocket sized book and look up everything after weighing it meticulously which was very tiresome to say the least. However, I have now found that using a forum called "My Fitness Pal" is really super for doing all that calculating for me and arriving at the total amounts of calories, carbs, protein etc. etc. per day.
As far as the daily grind of weighing food continually I have found that it just becomes second nature to do it and I keep my little scales on my work top permanently.