Socks....!!!

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I know this is a bizarre question but hope someone might know the answer.

I have always had cold feet (even before diagnosis) and am struggling to keep feet warm at moment given low temperatures.

I've been wearing socks/tights during day but wondered if it's a good idea to wear (fresh) socks overnight? I know how important it is to look after your feet and am mindful of circulation issues but I'd rather wear socks than have a hot water bottle as think that's more risky.

Last thing I want is to damage my feet.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SewK8

Hello

I have the same problem!

I have some soft fluffy socks to wear in bed as if my feet are cold I can't sleep. They are a few sizes too big so nothing pinches or problems with the tight elastic, they just help them stabilise a bit! It's odd as my feet are warm to touch but I think they are like blocks of ice!
Good luck!
Kat

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I wear these around the house, not overly glamorous but they do keep my feet warm and protected. I have found a number of free knitting patterns online and plan to knit some up myself. Btw, this is a site in NZ but it gives an idea of what I mean :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =662841117

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mariposa84 said:
I've been wearing socks/tights during day but wondered if it's a good idea to wear (fresh) socks overnight? I know how important it is to look after your feet and am mindful of circulation issues but I'd rather wear socks than have a hot water bottle as think that's more risky.

I can't see a problem with wishing to have warm feet and I think you are right not to use a hot water bottle. A pair of those long woolly socks sound ideal but you must make sure that they do not have any stretchy or elasticated bits in them. Things like that can get tighter at night and leave marks.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive always had cold feet and normally hands too. Its a running joke and my partner refers to them as zombie feet and hands. Ive always worn thick socks both day and night and Ive got to say my favs are football socks although im sure they arent any good for me!

Denisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been sleeping in socks for years, long before I was diagnosed. I have a very loose ones, so they sometimes come off at night. I have always had cold feet, hands and nose. Back in my country (Slovakia) we have a saying - 'cold feet, hot heart'. :D

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I do realise that they are a bit more expensive, but I have invested in some socks with "silver weave" They are for us with diabetes, some are in the foot care section of the shop here, I got mine from M&S. I can honestly say they are worth every penny :D there is also a lot of good advice on here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/results.asp?q ... j2061297j5.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this might sound daft coming from a "man" but why not try to knit or crochi a pair of bed shoes, for one thing exercise for your fingers topped by self satisfaction.

Sorry for being so stupid but I thought bed shoes was not such a bad idea. I also found this photo on Google.
images

Ok back to the garage for me.

Roy :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I suffer terribly with cold feet. I wear heat holders. But if my feet are cold when I go to bed I have to use a hot water bottle in a cover with my socks. Its the only way I can get my feet to warm up. If they are cold I just cant get to sleep.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
HJ Halls do a cotton non-elasticated sock that would be ideal for wearing in bed, there not cheap but should you last a long time.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi said:
I know this might sound daft coming from a "man" but why not try to knit or crochi a pair of bed shoes, for one thing exercise for your fingers topped by self satisfaction.

Nålebinding is a sort of cross between knitting and crochet. Here someone has made some shoes but I think like Pan, they must have had goats feet.

220px-BLW_Pair_of_socks.jpg

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for all of your replies....I might ask for some knitting needles from Father Christmas this year ...;-) although doubt my basic knitting skills will let me make a pair of the orange wonders above!!!

sweet-kitten

Hi I also suffer with cold feet during the night so i invested in an electric heat pad its just a bit bigger than a A4 sheet of paper and i swear by it as it saves me having to wear socks that kept coming of in the bight and its also a god send as it helps to keep the night cramps at bay to as i also suffer with nocturnal cramps, i saw that either aldi or lidl were selling the heat pads last week maybe woth looking in one of them to see if they still have any, :)