pear cider

matt28781

hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum location or not so forgive me if I'm wrong :wink:

so..a few days ago i tried some Bulmers pear cider that my friend gave me and i LOVED it normally hate cider, anyway after a few bottles it suddenly dawned on me WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING totally didn't realise that this was probably full of sugar so i went straight to my tester and did a quick finger prick 10.2 :shock: . highest its been for almost 2 months now. i guess cider is just about the worst drink for a diabetic? shame really because i don't like many alcoholic drinks :( .

how about rose is that ok to drink?

C

catherinecherub

Hi matt28781,
I watched a tv programme and cider had the highest sugar content of all beers. I don't know what rose is so cannot help you with that one.
A lot of the forum members don't seem to have any difficulty with red wine. Whatever you drink has to be in moderation.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

matt28781

hiya thanx for the reply.

i don't drink much at all really maybe 3 or 4 bottles every 2 to 3 weeks but i don't like anything i hate the taste of lager.... rose isn't bad but i have to have that with lemonade, and i also like Guinness but that's high in Carbs so i cant win lol.

Jenny

Aint it odd.

Beer is made from malted Barley (in some cases with other additives such as wheat, rice flakes, which alter flavour or reduce production costs).

Cider is made from fermented apple juice.

Alcohol made from fermented pear juice used to be called Peri - remember Babycham (do they still make it).

Cider is not a beer.

When is a pear an apple?

Rose (can't seem to get the accent on the 'e' in) is a wine.

Stick to spirits or red wine or very dry whites.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Yeap, unfortunately they still sell Babycham, Mrs. Tubs' favourite Christmas drink.

Unfortunately ( :?: ) for me, I live just outside a large cider apple/pear growing area - apple days used to be such fun, drinking immoderately watching Morris dancers and generally having loadsa fun. Alas, Alack, no longer :(

stevied

Tried that pear cider..made me gag.If I want a little treat I have Scrumpy Jack.It tastes bone dry even though its probably full of carbs.The bonus is that its full of alcohol. 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't drink much myself, just an occasional glass of wine with Sunday Lunch, but I did come across a good idea. Get some urine sugar dip sticks from the pharmacy and dip the drink ( with a FREASH STICK) you then know how much sugar it contains.

saz1

I have ditched beer and cider now and last weekend had a LOT to drink, mainly whisky, some red wine and I think a pint of lager got in there too and in the morning my sugars were 7.1 which is still quite normal for me. So I drew a conclusion that those drinks didn't really affect my sugars. I have only been diagnosed for three weeks so the sugars aren't as low as I will want them but hugely improved from my initial 16.3... :mrgreen:

Thirsty

Most Rosé wines are fairly dry, so they shouldn't cause too many problems. Be careful though; in Britain anything that's pink is known as Rosé, and some, particularly from California, are really Blush wines. This means that the yeast involved in producing them dies before all the sugar content has been turned into alcohol, so they can be quite sweet.

As a rule, the higher the alcohol content, the lower the amount of residual sugar after the fermentation process. Any wine with an alcohol content of 11% or more shouldn't bother your BG levels too much.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I'm fairly certain that cider and perry are two of the (sadly) worst drinks for diabetics. Doesn't help that I'm married to a cider maker!!!!!

Mine's a red wine or a gin with slimline. :angel: