Should I stop taking diamicron

colrow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been home in Ireland for Xmas, and I've been to see my doc and got 4 packets of glucose test strips, tho maybe that will change in the current economic climate. I also had my blood tests and will get my results on the 20th, so if my hba1c is 6 ish I was thinking of stopping the diamicron and closely monitoring my bs, to see if it rises, and trying to be tighter on my bad carb intake.

I've put on 12 lbs since June, whilst I've been working away in Glasgow and I have been guilty of a bit of comfort eating, using the excuse that I need that apple slice or danish for the energy to carry on working.

What do you think ?

colrow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
vecause when I was put on it 3 years ago some people on a.s.d.u.k reckoned it would kill some cells in my pancreas and its allways in the back of my mind wandering about it.

Trinkwasser

It's a judgement call, there's some evidence that sulphs push the beta cells which *may* lead to earlier burnout but on the other hand there's a lot of evidence that BG control severely improves your chances of reducing beta cell loss

With your current numbers it might be worth dropping it as an experiment and seeing if you can maintain control.

colrow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Trink.

I did stop it for a while last year when the practise nurse in Scotland said she wanted to see my Hba1c upto 7 but it went up, tho I wasn't being as strict with myself as I can be.

I'll wait till i get my current results back and see what they are then I'll give it a try if I'm below 6