Metformin + Gliclazide + Exercise Seems to be working

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,

I've had high blood sugars for a while now, initially on Metformin, which did nothing to reduce sugars, but has allowed me to lose weight (from 18.7 stone to just under 16 stone now). Cutting carbs did not help that much either.

So Doctor put me on Gliclazide 80mg once a day....initially no difference. Recently I've started swimming and biking again and doubled the 80mg Gliclazide and last night before dinner my reading was 4.5 !!!! I could not beleive it...took anther test with another meter and it was 5.4....still lower than the usual 10+.....

So for me I think a mix of the 2 medications and exercise seem to be working...however now I need to watch for Hypos....might have to forse the off chock bar down my neck !

My recent visit to the Diabetes Nurse and she said readings of under 10 were fine...but other sources say even a slight high level is not good for the body...it's a mare having this condition as so much conflicting info out there.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Metformin + Gliclazide + Excercise Seems to be working

James,

Your scenario sounds very much like mine. Meds exactly the same and weight down from over 16 stone to 14 stone. My BG levels now down to levels I feel comfortable with and I try to keep them between 4 to 8. Some exercise but keep trying to do more. I have found an app called myfitnesspal very helpful in tracking my calories and carbs.

However a couple of times in the last few weeks I have started to experience signs of a hypo mid morning. Dealt with it quickly but think it is the Glic which was causing the problem. You may want to keep an eye out for this and discuss with you GP or nurse if it happens.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, I will do, because I'm on Glic, I finally got prescribed a meter and test strips as they need to give you them if on Glic as it carries with it the Hypo risk. Been told Hypos can be experienced if the number hits 4 and below. I now carry sweets with me just in case. I have plenty test stips now, so will keep close eye on sugars as I adjust to the Glic....

The good news is my pancreas must still be capable of releasing insulin if my understanding of Clic is correct in that it stimultes the pancreas to produce more insulin.

I am getting used to the idea of having diabetes....just glad that my stats are impoving, but still to early to judge long term control, certainly I've been less grumpt and short termpered....so another positive of getting bloods under control.

lifeboat62

Hi James i too am on the same as you although my sugar is up and down like a yo yo. William

james_1d

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

lifeboat62 said:
Hi James i too am on the same as you although my sugar is up and down like a yo yo. William

What are the numbers are each side of the yo yo....mine now seems to be around 5 to 10.

jason32

I used to be on insulin, glic and metformin all high doses but then I controlled my carbs, all types of foods with fat and oil, started gym and now I am off of insulin, half of glic and half of metformin. My doctor said I could try a few days without Glic and see how things go. My goal is to completely get off of all medication.

Intensive cardio works wonders on your blood sugar levels.

desidiabulum

james_1d said:
Hi Folks,

I've had high blood sugars for a while now, initially on Metformin, which did nothing to reduce sugars, but has allowed me to lose weight (from 18.7 stone to just under 16 stone now). Cutting carbs did not help that much either.

So Doctor put me on Gliclazide 80mg once a day....initially no difference. Recently I've started swimming and biking again and doubled the 80mg Gliclazide and last night before dinner my reading was 4.5 !!!! I could not beleive it...took anther test with another meter and it was 5.4....still lower than the usual 10+.....

So for me I think a mix of the 2 medications and exercise seem to be working...however now I need to watch for Hypos....might have to forse the off chock bar down my neck !

My recent visit to the Diabetes Nurse and she said readings of under 10 were fine...but other sources say even a slight high level is not good for the body...it's a mare having this condition as so much conflicting info out there.

That's really great news -- well done. But if you find your levels are consistently low don't fall into the trap of hitting the chocolate to stave off potential hypos -- better to gradually reduce the gliclazide dosage instead (which will also help to keep your pancreas functioning for longer).

On levels, ignore 'under 10 is fine' -- it isn't. The forum guide for newbies notes the NICE recommendations of fasting levels of between 4 and 7, and levels under 8.5 2 hours after (though 7.8 is max for a non-diabetic, and most of us would want to be well under that). See how far under 7 and 8.5 you can get -- the lower the better. Good luck!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

When you say you doubled the dose of gliclazide, do you mean the doctor or nurse changed it?
Do you take it as one dose in the morning?

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats

Been on same regime for years and yes as long as you can keep the regular excercise going, you are on to a winner.