Checking in

moonbeam

Hi everyone, i have just been diagnosed today and needed a place where others would understand what a shock it is.... and there is so much information to process :?
Thanks for reading and i hope to become a regular here and go from supported to supportive, given time.

MelanieL

Hi Moonbeam - sorry that you've been diagnosed as a diabetic, but congratulations on finding yourself in the right place for a warm welcome and endless support and sound advice,

ChocFish

Oh hello moonbeam, welcome to the forum though it would be better if you didnt have to be here at all.

I think absolutely every single member can identify with you there when you say you are shocked at the diagnosis, so many thoughts go through your head, you dont believe it, the doctor must surely mean someone else, and why me, and oh my goodness this is the end, and I am going blind and losing my legs and all sorts of things and then positive things like I will find a cure, I am going to beat this, etc - totally stressful and confusing.

You will begin first with information overload, there is so much to learn and to read in this forum alone, but fear not, it will begin to make sense and you can pick yourself the bits that appeal to you and devise your own plan on dealing with your diabetes, its sometimes all trial and error, but even if you do make a mistake here and there it doesnt mean that you cause any lasting damage, you have made a good move by joining this forum and it shows that you are willing to deal with the diagnosis, others, like myself for example rebelled against it and paid some price, but even then I was very, very lucky in that I managed to put things right again.

Here is one post, by Diabetic Geek that really should be read by all newbies, you will find his post in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3527&p=18539#p18539
Try and get hold of two very important books, one is Dr Bernstein The Diabetes Solution and Dr Charles Clarke books are good too and they are reduced price at the moment too - http://www.rbooks.co.uk/author.aspx?id=14083

All in all I would say that if you do have to have an illness, then diabetes is not a bad choice at least you can achieve really good control over it and you are going to live a rather healthy lifestyle because of it.

Ask lots of questions and dont despair, there is lots and lots of hope.

All the best to you

Karen x

chocoholic

Hi moonbeam,
Chocfish has pretty much put in a nutshell what most of us would like to say to you. There's not much else I can add to her excellently written message, other than my own 'welcome to the forum' and I look forward to chatting to you.
All the best, Chocoholic.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hope we can be of service
Hana

Thirsty

Moonbeam, it certainly is a shock when you're first diagnosed but don't despair. As the others have said it's perfectly possible to gain good control over the condition and live a happy, healthy and long life. Ask as many questions here as you like; it's a very supportive and friendly forum and everyone's happy to help.

And ChocFish, I'm delighted to see you back!

moonbeam

MelanieL,ChocFish,chocoholic,hanadr and Thirsty, thank you so much for your replies and for the welcome, its really appreciated.
ChocFish your post is excellent, thank you for all the information in it, i will be reading as much as i can when i can get on here, im already on a couple of other forums for different things so i had no hesitation in finding one for diabetes because i know from experience that forums like this one are really the best place to be when there is so much that you have to learn, its members will understand, help and guide you because they have been where you are, i know i choose the right forum to join because already in less than 24 hours everyone has been so friendly and helpfull, well done all of you you are a credit to the place.

:D
Moonbeam x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya moonbeam,
welcome to the forum :D
amanda

dobber

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi moonbeam,

Welcome to the site, i can't add anything as good advice has been given. Follow the rules, look at all the info available, remember diabetes is personal so you will have to find what works for you, but generally info here is top notch. Also try http://www.diabetes.org.uk recommended by my diabetic doctor.
good luck

:)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Welcome, I'm sure you'll find lots of knowledge help and information here as well as the vital support ... lots of smart people, both long term diabetics and newbies, all types and insulin and pump users too ... we have great people all willing to give time to share in their experiences :)

so, I can't really add to what has been said already, except WELCOME!

xxx

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi moonbeam! I'm new around here too. Don't worry - everyone will make you feel very welcome. You'll get all the info you need here. I've been diabetic for nearly 10 years and anly recently found this site. You're well ahead of the game now that you're here - the info here is invaluable...