HBa1c 77 on metformin and glipazide worried

gordie123abc

Hi there my hba1c was 77 despite being on 4 metformin a day and 2 glipazide if I am being really honest I have a bad diet full of high sugar foods. I am seeing the doctor on wednesday I am a bit scared now that my body has really run out of insulin and I will need insulin is 77 really bad?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You really need to get to grips with your diet. Tablets aren't going to help bad habits, but I think you know that now.
Reduce your carbs as in white bread, pasta, rice, cakes, biscuits etc. You really won't feel badly done to on a low carb diet. It now has to be your way of eating.

equipoise

77 is awful! There is no point in talking the pills unless you are also adjusting diet and exercise. It sounds like you haven't really accepted your diagnosis as diabetic and what it entails. Make this the day that you change all that -- you won't regret it. :D

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Agree with others-Oral meds can only make a small difference to your HbA1c-the rest really is down to diet and exercise and when I say diet I mean a whole new way of eating forever which means drastically reducing the high starchy carb food products.

Reactions: giftedbean

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Based on what you say about your diet I suspect you may be overweight and insulin resistant? This means that rather than lacking in insulin your blood may be swimming in it but the muscles being unable to use it. In these circumstances Metformin does help a bit but I suspect the Glipizide is doing very little as it stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. Yup. I'm afraid a low-carb diet is the only way forward. Set yourself a daily target of, perhaps, 150gm/day and see what effect it has after a few weeks.

blackcat79

Well mine is the same but has gone up from June one. Im on low carb n cals but weight wont come off. I have nerve damage in feet n legs n fibromyaglia so hard to work etc yet on 3 different drugs. Im now on insulin for last 6 wks basal and fast acting yet levels still run high on the whole. Who knows whats going on. Do try low carbs best u can. But moving on to insulin isnt as bad as u think n bn type 2 it dosent mean its for ever as once levels controlled some can b dropped off. Diabetes 2 changes faster in some ppl. Im only 34 n yes a little over weight but not to what they say ppl out there much more than me n if i was to loss the 5 stone they say id just b bones! I need to lose some i know but when i did b4 i got ill my levels didnt go down but up! So go figure we r all different. Mayb ur one like me. Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App