I'm getting a pump!!!!

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been given the go ahead to go on to pump therapy - while I couldn't be happier I'm also scared to death. I know it will be a lot of hard work to get things right but to be honest I really need this. I've become complacent with my control and having to do something new with a completely different regime will kick start me. One question though - is there anything you know now that you wish you'd known before going onto a pump?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news Lucy :thumbup:

Sabantha

Had pump 4 weeks now, wish I'd known how great I'd feel having it, I'd of accepted the first time It was offered Haha all the best, I'm still tweaking things but like you did become very complacent. This gives me flexibility and as long you give pump the right info it's fixes everything haha trust the pump x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

emmaclaire06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people
I've had my pump 7 weeks now it shocked me to feel so well not tired all the time I love my little bionic box the only bad thing is living on it in bed the first few nights was bad as I don't think I slept properly but now it's fine I'm on the accu-check combo and love it ..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, this is great news! I have a question though. I have had bad control for quite a few years now, through no fault of my own. I have gone from a healthy fit 35 year old to one who suffers pain and feeling useless. I was diagnosed with the dawn phenomenom over a year ago now, they told me I need a pump. I was put on a waiting list I am on the top 4 and have been for over a year. So how come I still don't have one? My health is getting worse due to this and have had to give up work, fitness and basically my life atm. No joy! I haven't heard anything and It appears that I am not of importance when I have been looking after myself and been on the Dafne course no exactly what I am doing with my levels. Yet I see others just get given the pump?. I'm confused. I hope I will hear soon, I would very much like my life back before I get to old x

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I am working towards pump therapy and it is the kick up the back side I have been needing for a very long time to get things back in order and can't wait my understanding was that they were not allowed to have waiting lists for pumps if you were eligible I would look at INPUT for some advise

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carla Holbrough said:
Hi, this is great news! I have a question though. I have had bad control for quite a few years now, through no fault of my own. I have gone from a healthy fit 35 year old to one who suffers pain and feeling useless. I was diagnosed with the dawn phenomenom over a year ago now, they told me I need a pump. I was put on a waiting list I am on the top 4 and have been for over a year. So how come I still don't have one? My health is getting worse due to this and have had to give up work, fitness and basically my life atm. No joy! I haven't heard anything and It appears that I am not of importance when I have been looking after myself and been on the Dafne course no exactly what I am doing with my levels. Yet I see others just get given the pump?. I'm confused. I hope I will hear soon, I would very much like my life back before I get to old x

I haven't 'just got given' the pump Carla, I've been fighting for it for the last 5 years and have been knocked back several times. I've been working closely with my local diabetes unit and it was they who suggested I reapply to the panel. All I can suggest to you is that you read the NICE guidelines very carefully to make sure you qualify and then fight as hard as you can for it.

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congrats Lucie,
If I had of known something would have been that you are supposed to be able to pick any pump you want, whatever fits your lifestyle best. I would have gone for the waterproof one far quicker, would have made life much easier. Also if you are getting a choice research the different ones and see that it fits in with your life style. For instance if you don't want anyone to see it or ask quetions about then maybe one with the remote would be more suitable. Also there are many differnt types of sets make sure you have a good try of them before you settle on one that you prefer and try putting it into different areas not just your tummy. Either ask your DSN or reps for demos or spares to play with. Feel free to ask anything your unsure about good luck.

Carla,
As others have said there aren't supposed to be waiting lists, but of course there are. Ask your team why you havn't got your pump yet even though they have said one would benefit you. They can't respond with there aren't enough funds. If this is all you get out of them contact input, then if needs be your MP. This is what it took for me. I waited 4 years but within 5 months of kicking up a huge stink I had a pump. Good luck with it.
Laura

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your advice pumppimp. I had to make a quick decision about which pump to have - I chose the animas vibe (which is waterproof as I swim a fair bit). I'm getting it fitted with saline next Weds - I can't wait! I'll definitely ask for some spares as you mentioned - thanks!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, thank you for the advice, I will look into it straight away. I'm feeling so lost, when doing everything you can for yourself but it doesn't make any difference. My levels are 20-over 30s every morning and the continuous glucose monitoring proved it was dawn phenomenom. I feel so awful.
Seeing that a lot of people's lives have improved after receiving the pump has given me much hope.
Many thanks
Fingers crossed
Carla

jrodbrown58

I'm too getting a pump and I'm anxious and nervous at the same time. I know its the Medtronic minimed not sure of the model # tho as its used from a distant family member of a family member that I have. I'm worried about getting my supplies and training since I have no insurance or income what so ever since my diabetes has been so bad that I haven't been able to hold down a job the last couple years due to the fact that I dka so easily when I get sick in the slightest form and end up in ICU about 4+ times a year. I'm crossing my fingers that this pump changes my life :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
Im getting the medtronic in the new year im gonna say excited is not the word i am over the f ***in moon been asking and nagging for 4 years now and im finally getting one

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mel24

I get my animas vibe insulin pump on the 30th.... Christmas can't be over with fast enough so u can have my pump

iHs

jrodbrown58 said:
I'm too getting a pump and I'm anxious and nervous at the same time. I know its the Medtronic minimed not sure of the model # tho as its used from a distant family member of a family member that I have. I'm worried about getting my supplies and training since I have no insurance or income what so ever since my diabetes has been so bad that I haven't been able to hold down a job the last couple years due to the fact that I dka so easily when I get sick in the slightest form and end up in ICU about 4+ times a year. I'm crossing my fingers that this pump changes my life :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Hi

Ive just seen your post....... Its really lovely that you are getting a pump although not so lovely that you are getting it through the back door and not the front.......

Do for goodness sake get hold of a copy of the book - Pumping Insulin by John Walsh as that explains how to go about setting up your hourly basal rates and loads of other stuff as well. Also, you will need to test your bg levels about 10 times a day to begin with, as doing this will enable you to work out whether your insulin to carb ratio is working with the basal rates ok.

Your main major problem is getting hold of the cartridges and infusion sets which might be able to be supplied from the person who gives you the pump but if not, buying them might be impossible because of all the 'red tape' involved and will also cost you an awful lot of money so please be aware of that. Seriously, your best bet would be to get a brand new pump through the NHS and the infusion sets etc will also be taken care of free of charge. Look carefully at the NICETA51 criteria for funding a pump as you most likely meet it and even if your hospital doesn't have staff to support the training for pumps, a referral to another hospital that does, is possible....... so good luck with what you decide to do....

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like you Lucie I am getting a pump after MDI for 23 years, I am so nervous to be starting a completely new regime and not know all the ins and outs of my insulin. I have my appointment Thursday to have the pump fitted so I'm hoping it runs smoothly and I'm in a routine quickly. Luckily I am an experienced carb counter so I'm hoping this gives me some help in getting started. Hope you get your pump soon x

Hi, thank you for the advice, I will look into it straight away. I'm feeling so lost, when doing everything you can for yourself but it doesn't make any difference. My levels are 20-over 30s every morning and the continuous glucose monitoring proved it was dawn phenomenom. I feel so awful.
Seeing that a lot of people's lives have improved after receiving the pump has given me much hope.
Many thanks
Fingers crossed
Carla
I also suffered with the dawn phenomen but after adjusting my levels I seem to have got on top of it, do you carb count and what are your insulins that you are taking? If you would like any help in terms of my experience with the same problem I'd be happy to help as I think even without the pump I have been able to sort the Dawn phenomen for me x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi k8tie, yes I carb count. I have completed the dafne course an tried many different tactics to try bring the levels down from 20-30 in the morning. Although they are 6-8 before I sleep. I have had a year an half of getting up at 3-4am and checking also and no hypos are occurring, but GREAT NEWS after a lot of help and battling from my local diabetic team. I have been accepted for a pump in a different area (no educators in our area).. So I am excited to see changes if any. Good luck with the pump, as I'm finding its quite a lot to take in but I'm sure it will all become clear soon :) x