Diabetone

Geocacher

I've seen them and when I read the label I didn't find they were in any way different than any cheaper multivitamin and mineral supplement. Don't waste your money when you can get a store brand product for a third of the price.

If you're concerned you may have a deficiency, ask your GP to test you for it. Some deficiencies can complicate diabetes, but there is an equal if not greater risk from taking too much of any supplement or taking something that is unnecessary.

B12 deficiency is common among people who have taken metformin for more than four years. People who don't eat enough fresh fruit and veg may be low in Vitamin C. Women who have heavy periods may become low in iron. Vitamin D deficiency is sometimes found among those with dark skin, or who overuse sunscreen, or don't spend at least 15 minutes outside in daylight each day. Some trace minerals are thought to affect BG control, like chromium and magnesium, but best that you discuss that with your GP because they can alter the effects of your prescribed medications.

Most people don't need supplements because they get the nutrients they need from a sensible and varied diet.

A

Anonymous

Hilary52 said:
Apparently these are vitamins specifically targeted at diabetics. Anyone know anything about them?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I think the clue is in the name 'Diabetone'. I'd be surprised if they weren't labelled 'PRO-DIABETIC'. Just about every other health- related product on the market uses the term 'PRO' now, as if it gives some kind of legitimacy ... just getting it off my chest! Cynic? Moi?

JoBrodie

They may well be 'targeted at' people with diabetes but it's not at all obvious to me how they'd really help. As others have said it's best to speak to your GP if you're concerned about deficiencies (possibly a dietitian too if there are obvious improvements that can be made in your diet). Some of the B vitamin-type deficiencies would require an injection rather than eating the vitamin as the problem is with the absorption (take-up into the bloodstream so that it can be sent around the body and put to good use) of the vitamin across the gut lining.

Vitabiotics, the makers of Diabetone, have been subject to an Advertising Standards Authority ruling on previous advertising for this particular product (they've had a few ASA rulings against advertising for some of their other products too). They are just about able to refer to it as being of general wellbeing for people with diabetes because the small research study they conducted seemed to suggest that people preferred the Diabetone pills to other pills, however the ASA was particularly unimpressed with this claim and asked them not to do that. The pills had no effect on blood glucose levels, pretty sure it didn't do anything for blood fats or anything else either.

"We considered that Vitabiotics had not substantiated that the product could maintain either physiological or psychological well-being and furthermore could discourage essential treatment. We concluded that the ad was likely to mislead."

ASA ruling on Diabetone
http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2010/6/Vitabiotics-Ltd/TF_ADJ_48676.aspx

There is nothing wrong with this product, in that it contains vitamins which are perfectly OK, my concern is that it is being targeted towards people with diabetes unnecessarily.

Jo
(I am not medically trained and do not have diabetes. I used to work at Diabetes UK as a Science Information Officer).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The term 'snake oil' comes to mind.... There are many sources of vitamins for everyone including non-diabetics.

andydry100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Diabetone +omega3

I have been reading a few comments about diabetone and about how thy dont work , i have been type 1 for 21 years and my diabetes has been always all over the place :thumbup: :thumbup: i could never get my blood sugar levels stable at all, a few weeks ago i was at the end of my wits with my diabetes loseing weight and feeling of no energy and i found diabetone+omega3 i was only on them a couple of days when i started to see a major difference to my blood suger levels i was hitting 5.6 in the mid mornings and 6.0 in the after noons something i had never been doing i was always in the teens i even feel more energetic and a good feeling of well being i would recommend them to anyone i wish thy had of been out years ago. :thumbup:

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They don't work nearly as well as the company (and nice salesperson at the health store would have you think): The pilot study the maker cites for their claims (Marakis et al, Enhanced Wellbeing of Adults with Type 2 Diabetes...) found:
Results: There were no signifi cant changes of multinutrient treatment compared with placebo in HbA1c, fasting or postprandial
plasma glucose and insulin concentrations and fasting plasma lipid concentrations.
Not adjusting for multiple comparisions, they then found
Using a validated wellbeing
questionnaire (W-BQ 22) designed for diabetic subjects, the multinutrient supplement resulted in improvements in the
secondary outcome of wellbeing of the volunteers in terms of anxiety (p = 0.020), vitality (p = 0.013) and general wellbeing
(p = 0.021), relative to placebo.

@ [email protected]: This is your first post.

andydry100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
all i can say is thy have helped me thats got to be a good thing if it helps to stabalize my diabetes i will be attending my clinic on tuesday and see what my consultent has to say about it and if he is happy with me to stay on it then great.

Sabantha

They sell them in shop I work, we are not allowed to suggest anything for diabetes to help ect as it's a red flag condition in my store. I do however believe that they have no effect on blood sugar levels, where as some other multi vits can raise the bg level.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andydry100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thy have brought my blood sugar levels down and i have done nothing else different how do you explain that?

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the chromium helped you, it does in some studies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DCUK Forum mobile app

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well thy have brought my blood sugar levels down and i have done nothing else different how do you explain that?
Since we don't have time machines to compare the outcome to what would have happened if you hadn't taken them we'll have to make do with clinical trials.
Again: Even the manufacturer does not claim that Diabetone has any effect on BG.