Diabetic 1 and 2

I think when somebody is diabetic 1 or 2 it is the manufactures fault by adding, sugar, salt etc in our foods and drinks, i was not brought up on microwave rubbish everything was hand made, the good old hearty foods, surely they can let us have that back, this would save us from getting ill, sometimes they add too much and who wants salt in a sparkling water that is stupid and also when they say low fat or fat free it cant be if they add a lot of sugar and salt.The medtreanean people like the Spanish, Italians eat there food taste better than english foods, also chemicals we have far too many of them spraying on our foods.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you except for the "surely they can let us have that back" part. Good old hearty foods have not been taken away. You can buy basic food components and cook a hearty meal yourself.

All that has gone wrong is that customers sometimes buy convenience foods in the belief they are hearty when in fact many of them are made with flour and sugar with any fat that might have been present taken out.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your also very wrong in applying this to type 1's. We are diabetic from genetics not lifestyle choices.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes existed a couple of thousand years before convenience foods and there are several different ways one can become diabetic.

The sort of thing you refer to, damage to the metabolic system by over reliance on highly processed convenience foods is something which has been observed in places like Nauru where a very heathy and active population changed their eating habits and became more sedentary when they became wealthy, after the discovery of mineral deposits. Within two generations over 40% of the inhabitants of this island became diabetic, the highest frequency in the world.

As the Squire has pointed out, type 2 diabetics can do a lot for themselves by learning to cook starting with raw ingredients and avoiding those packs and pots of 'easy sauces'. Fortunately, there is a ressurgent interest in farm foods and quality markets and I don't think there have ever been as many cook books or TV programmes around. Unfortunately, old habits die hard and those who were brought up on ready meals do find it difficult to ween themselves off them. Even worse are our long working days and hours lost commuting to and from work. No wonder that when many people finally do get home, maybe 12 hours after they left in the morning, their first reaction is to take a frozen lasagne out of the freezer and put it in the microwave. You need to be organised to get out of that rut and if you have kiddies, it is going to be very difficult indeed.

cathie51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I am type 2 and I have always eaten fresh foods no packaged or quick foods. I was brought up in the country where everything was made from fresh ingredients and have continued to cook this way.

I didn't find it difficult or too expensive to cook this way as my sons were growing and they are all strong and healthy.

I am insulin dependent and have several other problems as well as my diabetes I am overweight because of Hypothyoidism but I am slowly getting this under control and losing the extra weight.

It really annoys me to be told that I have done this to myself with my life style, I am sure there are many type 2s who feel the same.

Sorry to rant but it is upsetting

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Engineer88 said:
Your also very wrong in applying this to type 1's. We are diabetic from genetics not lifestyle choices.

And you're being smug.

Type 2 diabetics are also predisposed to diabetes because of genetics. The jury's still out on the whole 'T2 diabetes lifestyle choices thing' as portrayed in the gutter press being the cause.

However, I would agree with the OP- what has been happening to our food (for decades) is contributing to increasing numbers of people (diabetics and non-diabetics alike) with poor health. The low-fat, low salt, substitute lots of starchy carbohydrates for protein and fat bandwagon/train is heading for the buffers, and not a moment too soon. This health advice, coupled with manufacturers putting more and more salt and sugar into what the laughingly call their 'healthy low-fat range' of convenience foods is certainly increasingly the cause of obesity in this country. It's not that we've all turned into voracious eaters, it's that the advice we have been given for years that lots of carbohydrates are good for us that's wrong. It's no coincidence that heart disease has risen in the same period despite the increased dispensing of statins (to counter all those carbs?).

btw ...I'm not a low-carb evangelist - but because of the way the body works, it's a no-brainer once you have this disease, regardless of which flavour of diabetes you have, to reduce your carbs to a level where you can balance your blood sugar.

It's a sad fact, that the pace of life nowadays means that people have less time, and inclination to cook from scratch, and to grab the ready meals to save time. Unfortunately doing so on a regular basis, may credibly endanger their long-term health - and I'm talking about all the salt, sugar and carbohydrates etc that's unnecessary. I've always cooked from scratch, always will. But despite my best efforts following the low-fat mantra, I am unfortunate to have a family history of diabetes (genetics anyone?).

So I defy anyone to say it was a lifestyle "choice" to follow the accepted healthy advice and still get diabetes.. Instead of being smug, shouldn't you consider having some empathy with those in the same boat? .. .rant over.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weens12 said:
Engineer88 said:

And you're being smug.

No he's not. The OP stated "I think when somebody is diabetic 1 or 2 it is the manufactures fault by adding, sugar, salt etc in our foods and drinks," and Engineer88 is just pointing out that Type 1 diabetes is a genetically mediated autoimmune disorder where the autoimmune system sees the beta cells as 'foreign', attacks them and destroys them. It is nothing to do with food consumption which, in type 2 diabetics, can metabolically inhibit the beta cell function, ultimately leading to beta cell death.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cathie51 said:
It really annoys me to be told that I have done this to myself with my life style, I am sure there are many type 2s who feel the same.

Sorry to rant but it is upsetting

Well that's typical of uninformed soundbites I'm afraid. They can be unfair but this type of ignorance will always be with us. You just have to ignore it. Something like 80% of obese americans don't have diabetes whereas there are a fair number of slim ones who do. Everyone has heard of fashion concious people say, 'if I eat that, it goes straight onto my hips' or something similar. Unfortunately for some people it goes straight into their liver but they don't have any warning signs and so don't know until it happens.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Engineer88 said:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Stereotyping other forms of diabetes as simply down to lifestyle choice is pure ignorance at best and insulting at worst. :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
paul-1976 said:
Engineer88 said:

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: Stereotyping other forms of diabetes as simply down to lifestyle choice is pure ignorance at best and insulting at worst. :(

Engineer88 wasn't being ignorant, simply stating that type 1 was not due to lifestyle decision. No where does it say that all other types of diabetics are!

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yorksman said:
Weens12 said:
Engineer88 said:

And you're being smug.

No he's not. The OP stated "I think when somebody is diabetic 1 or 2 it is the manufactures fault by adding, sugar, salt etc in our foods and drinks," and Engineer88 is just pointing out that Type 1 diabetes is a genetically mediated autoimmune disorder where the autoimmune system sees the beta cells as 'foreign', attacks them and destroys them. It is nothing to do with food consumption which, in type 2 diabetics, can metabolically inhibit the beta cell function, ultimately leading to beta cell death.

Whilst the OP did say "I think when somebody is diabetic 1 or 2 it is the manufactures fault by adding, sugar, salt etc in our foods and drinks" In my post, I didn't agree.

Where I agreed with the OP was that add salt, sugar etc to food is contributing to ill health both in diabetics and non-diabetics. I said that this practice is "certainly increasingly the cause of obesity in this country.

I am well aware that Type 1 diabetes is regarded as an autoimmune disorder.

I think I'm justified in thinking that Engineer88 was being a smug and dismissive Type 1 because of the mention of "lifestyle choices" which as you well know, is a reference to the popular myth that Type 2 diabetes is caused by people sitting on the sofa, gorging themselves on doughnuts, and that genetics plays no part in it. i.e. they brought it on themselves. IF that was the case, why don't all fat people have Type 2 diabetes? The mechanism for Type 2 may be different (i.e. not autoimmune), but I believe that genetics has a part to play.

I'm also aware of the theory that "food consumption which, in type 2 diabetics, can metabolically inhibit the beta cell function, ultimately leading to beta cell death" but don't accept that is the whole story. You seem very certain that it is. We'll have to disagree on that.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hale710 said:
paul-1976 said:
Engineer88 said:

Engineer88 wasn't being ignorant, simply stating that type 1 was not due to lifestyle decision. No where does it say that all other types of diabetics are!

"Your also very wrong in applying this to type 1's. We are diabetic from genetics not lifestyle choices."

Of course T1 is not due to a lifestyle decision BUT that statement implies in my mind that the other forms of diabetes such as T2 are caused by lifestyle choice or why would the statement highlight only T1 diabetics as not being being at fault for their condition and not other forms of the condition?

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Your also very wrong in applying this to type 1's. We are diabetic from genetics not lifestyle choices."

Of course T1 is not due to a lifestyle decision BUT that statement implies in my mind that the other forms of diabetes such as T2 are caused by lifestyle choice or why would the statement highlight only T1 diabetics as not being being at fault for their condition and not other forms of the condition?[/quote]

Exactly... otherwise, why even mention "lifestyle choice"?

K

Kat100

I am getting really frustrated that people fail to recognise the physcial symptoms that can cause t2 I am really ashamed of the the media and NHS in some cases, refering to the cause being a lifestyle choice....shows ignorance....
I believe that t1 and t2 should be both understood more and both deserve equal support...

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Kat100 said:
I believe that t1 and t2 should be both understood more and both deserve equal support...

Agreed! :thumbup:

K

Kat100

Always good to support each other.....this is such a complex subject which affects so many with many individual health problems

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We have never not supported anyone! I believe all diabetics should stick together. But I do think many people are a but touchy about the "lifestyle choice" stigma.

Just look at Steve Redgrave and everyone will know it's not just lifestyle, but that IS one cause. No one can deny that. And the OP was clearly going on about lifestyle choice factors

K

Kat100

Good to know that everyone feels supported ....
The more t1 and t2 do support each other, then perhaps attitudes in some instances will change, the body and our health is such a big subject I can see why anyone can get "touchy'
We all deserve the best advise care and support possible, I am refering to our health care providers here.
I don't like telling people I am t2 because there is a lot to explain, I am in my first year and still find it a new world of experience....
In my life experiences, I assisted with t1 and t2 people who where hypo and hyper, but did not understand the complex lives they had to live...big subject

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Weens12 said:
And you're being smug.

First of all Weens I am NOT being Smug. I am ****** off at having been yet again lumped into the unhealthily fast food eating stereotype of diabetes. Im 9st and have been diabetic since 2 and a half. I was only ever fed home reared produce as my dad was a farmer and wasn't allowed any sweets because he is diabetic type 1 also. I never said genetics plays no part in type 2 only that lifestyle choices don't play ANY part in type 1.

Why meantion lifestyle choice? because thats what the OP was talking about! I wasn't thinking about any other type other than defending my own. one which I've heard every stereotypical comment for in the last 23 years.

Yorksman (ps I'm female ;)) and Hale710 thanks for seeing it from the perspective I was actually coming from.

I would like to point out I have never not supported anyone because of their type, and would always support people making the right choice for themselves wether that be low carb or medication changes.

I'm sorry its taken so long to reply, Ive been running a youth club.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weens12 said:
I'm also aware of the theory that "food consumption which, in type 2 diabetics, can metabolically inhibit the beta cell function, ultimately leading to beta cell death" but don't accept that is the whole story. You seem very certain that it is.

"can metabolically inhibit the beta cell function"

Can infers neither certainty nor exclusivitity and if you know your way around the published literature you would realise that such a thing would not be possible, for virtually all studies into beta cell apoptosis are on rodents and those few which have been undertaken on humans have been post mortem and are by definition, already dead.

Nor is the statement mine which you seem to think it is. You will find the dead versus metabolically inhibited beta cell state in Dr Roy Taylor's Twin Cycle Hypothesis.