Blood levels

pipwizard

Could someone please tell me what a blood level be I do have probs at the mo and just been put on glicazide and I'm just wondering what it should be in the morning and at night just before I go to bed as it's 7.4 a lot lower than it's been but I just need to know , thing is I'm worried it go too low

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
Sounds ok to me I was 6.5 last night but then I was 7.6 this morning. Sometimes my diabetes makes no sense to me :D

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pipwizard said:
Could someone please tell me what a blood level be I do have probs at the mo and just been put on glicazide and I'm just wondering what it should be in the morning and at night just before I go to bed as it's 7.4 a lot lower than it's been but I just need to know , thing is I'm worried it go too low

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, as you're T2, I understand it would be difficult to go too low.

A month ago, I was 8-9 on waking and saw one peak of 14 just after I started testing.

Now (after starting meds, weight loss and diet) it's around 6, or just below, first thing in the morning and frequently in the 5s during the day, with the lowest I've recorded being 4.3.

Rightly or wrongly, I've decided it's all going the right way and unless someone tells me otherwise I'm not going to worry about it. The main thing is, I'm starting to feel a whole lot better, (although I have to say that feeling has only just kicked-in over the past few days).

sugarmog

pipwizard said:

7.4 is still higher than normal, so you don't need to worry about being too low. A non diabetic person will usually be somewhere between 4.8 and 6.1 It may feel a bit odd to you if you have previously been running much higher, but you will get used to it. I think it is virtually impossible for a T"2 to go too low unless they are injecting insulin.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not unusual for a T2 to go too low but unlikely. If you are following a lower card diet as advocated by many T2's on this forum then you need to be checking your BG levels particularly if you feel light headed.

T2's on Metformin do not usually have any problems but Gliclazide makes your pancreas produce more insulin so needs checking. I took the latter for about 9 months without any lows but after lowering my carbs and losing over 8kgs in weight I had a couple of hypos. DN took me off the tablets as my BG levels reduced.

pipwizard

Ah right ok thanks all I've just had my glicazide increased so gota be vigilant I'm abit worried in going to low though at night never had a hypo before not sure what to look out for and if I do have one which I'm hoping I don't what should I do

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pip

Glic can give you hypos unfortunately. I've been down to 2.4!! Not nice. Hypo symptoms vary but sweating, wobbly legs, blurred vision can be an indication of blood dropping/hypo. Below 4, on the floor is my DNs mantra. If you test & are below 4, eat some glucose sweets or drink non~diet coke, followed by carby snack, or meal if due. Don't forget that by law you have to test before driving now you are on Glic & mustn't drive below 4 & below 5 must have a snack & re~test blood. One good thing about being on Glic Drs must give you testing strips. (Silver lining lol). Have you notified your insurance company & DVLA too huni?

Hopefully you won't have a hypo & everything will be tickety boo

Smartie xx

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Is that right about testing before driving if you are on Gliclazide. My DSN has put me on 2 x 80mg a day but never said anything about notifying anyone or not driving if low. I've been on these for a fortnight and am getting 3. somethings quite regularly. Should I contact the surgery.

blackcat79

Yes to drive u have to bn 5 n above. If below then you have to treat as hypo n nit drive for 45 mins after ur above 5. Should have bn explained to you when they put u on Glic. Should test every 2 hours on long drives too. Im now on insulin so even more important tho still not been lower than 6.5 yet. Take care on Glic n driving

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
blackcat79 said:
Yes to drive u have to bn 5 n above. If below then you have to treat as hypo n nit drive for 45 mins after ur above 5. Should have bn explained to you when they put u on Glic. Should test every 2 hours on long drives too. Im now on insulin so even more important tho still not been lower than 6.5 yet. Take care on Glic n driving

Here are the official guidelines from DVLA which are not as stringent as suggested https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... F188_2.pdf

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
thanks for the replies.