iBG Star blood glucose monitor-any advice pls?

Misty1

Hi,
My son, T1, is a bit of a gadget fan and would like to try the iBG Star. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share, pls- good or bad! Many thanks

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great, but you will need an adapter if you have an iPhone 5 or above.

Misty1

Thanks Robert.
He is currently on iPhone 4s but upgrading - Xmas pressie- to 5s, So, does that mean an extra 'widget' is needed? It all looks very small and easy to lose !! I'm guessing the strips are not NHS funded, so £20 for 50 sounds a bit steep.Thanks, tips much appreciated!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, little white adapter that connects between the iBGStar and the phone. It was much neater with the iPhone 4. The adaptor is £25 from Apple :shock: although I think some other members have found cheaper ones but I can't advise which.

The strips are available on prescription - I believe they are pretty much the same costs to the NHS as most other meter's strips. My GP didn't bat an eyelid when I asked for them.

Misty1

Thank you Robert for your advice - great to know I have a personal adviser on this technical stiff, much appreciated!! I will check with our DN at Southampton tomorrow whether it's available on NHS or order from Boots and let him give it a go- anything to make it less hassle for a newly diagnosed teenage lad! Thanks again

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - sorry I think you have to buy the meter yourself but the strips are on the NHS.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I bought the meter in boots for £12 I also got a bgstar which I use as my main meter also connects to the iphone for download

I'm in southampton area and my strips are on prescription

If you have excel on your computer search the internet for 'bg star smart file' it's on the Australian website it produces some very good reports

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you might find your DSN has a ibgstar they can give you. I would recommend getting the official apple connector though as Ive used cheep alternatives for charging and they are rubbish and *can* cause damage to the phone.

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
I got an iBGStar last year to use with my iPhone 4 and I really love it. I thought about upgrading my phone but Sanofi Aventis who make the meter said they couldn't guarantee the meter would work with the adaptor for the iPhone 5 so it might be an ide to check with them. The meters are quit expensive so do what I did and ask your DSN for one. I get test strips on prescription no problem.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Dalekkiller said:
I got an iBGStar last year to use with my iPhone 4 and I really love it. I thought about upgrading my phone but Sanofi Aventis who make the meter said they couldn't guarantee the meter would work with the adaptor for the iPhone 5 so it might be an ide to check with them. The meters are quit expensive so do what I did and ask your DSN for one. I get test strips on prescription no problem.

£12 at boots works ok on iphone 5, 5s and 5c on iOS 6&7 so long as you use the genuine apple adapter

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
Oh ok things have obviously changed since I looked into getting one. When I first looked on the Boots website they were £48 :crazy:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using the ibg star on my ipad works fantastically. When I had to go on to insulin for my type 2 my partner wrote an email to the company and with in an hour they rang and asked for address and they sent out the meter free of charge and I'm in South Wales and get srips and lancets on prescription