Diabetes and employment

connela

Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice. I have had an ulcer on the bottom of my foot for the last 2 and a half years. My employer i feel has been less than understanding. I asked if i could work part-time they refused me, when i go to the hospital i have to make the time up and they have not provided with any equipment to make it more comfortable at work. Due to the stress this has bought on and my foot getting infected again i have been signed off work. Has anyone else had problems with employees because of their diabetes and would be good to hear from anyone else dealing with foot problems.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Majority of emploers will ask their staff to make hospital appts in own time or make time up, DIsibility Act does not as far as I am aware make them pay a diabetic for appointment times.

Employers should make reasonable adjustments, and as standard should provide proper chairs, desks at correct heights, foot resting equipment, hand rest equipment etc. is there something specific that you were wanting them to provide?

jeves

You aloud to go to your appointments I know I've fought this with a big company

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Section 20 of the Equality Act 2010 imposes a duty on all employers to make reasonable adjustments to any provision, criterion or practice applied by them, or physical feature of their premises, that places a disabled person at a substantial disadvantage. The Equality Act 2010: employment statutory code of practice (PDF format, 1.09MB) (on the EHRC website) lists examples of steps that an employer may have to take in order to comply with this duty. The examples given include "allowing the person to be absent during working or training hours for rehabilitation, assessment or treatment". However, the code says nothing about payment for such time off. What is reasonable for the employer to do will depend on the circumstances of the particular case.

Relevant factors to consider will be the employer's size and financial resources, the terms of the employee's contract, whether or not the employer normally pays employees for time off work to attend medical appointments (and for time off for other reasons such as sickness absence), the amount of time off that the disabled employee requires and the cost of paying for the time off. In essence, unless there is some tangible and concrete reason why it would not be reasonable to pay the disabled employee for time off to attend medical appointments, payment should be made. Even if it is not the employer's normal practice to pay employees who take time off to attend medical appointments, it may be reasonable to make payment in the case of an employee with a disability. Section 13(3) of the Equality Act 2010 makes it clear that it is not discriminatory against other employees to give special treatment to a disabled employee.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Good evening to you,

I am extremely concerned, I don't want to make a drama out of a crisis but my brother lost his foot after an ulcer on his foot for two years won the battle. You must take a firm stance with your doctors more than your employers, I'm very worried you may well end up in serious trouble, please demand attention, do it Monday.

I've been in senior management for many years, it isn't a requirement to volunteer information such as you being diabetic unless you're specifically asked to reveal medical conditions in, say, a medical questionnaire. Your employer cannot and should not discriminate against you for your medical ailments unless it is "reasonable" to do so. We once turned down a person who was completely deaf with his application for warehouse work, this was on health and safety grounds as he could not hear mechanical handling equipment such as a fork lift approaching especially from behind. In general terms, don't volunteer information such as you being diabetic at interview stage but a while after you've joined, a manager may not understand diabetes or not know what it is so to be on the safe side turn down an application. This is just my opinion based on what I've witnessed over the years.

Personally, my deep concern is for your wound. Get that fixed and it also knocks the 'unsympathetic employer' issue out the air too. Good luck then,

Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shayanjameel

People with diabetes sometimes face discrimination in the workplace but it was once common practice to restrict individuals with diabetes from jobs or classes of employment ...!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If an Employer has two people applying for a job... Same qualifications etc... One puts downdiabetic on their application form and the other person doesnt. Its pretty much still guaranteed that the non diabetic will get tbe job.

Trouble is the world is marred by people that use any chronic disease as an excuse. My sparky thought that all type 1 diabetics were like his sister (at 50, has only claimed benefits, never worked-solely using diabetes T1 as the reason). He was thoroughly shocked to see me working, fit and not on benefits!! And 50 too!!
If he was to take on an apprentice, he admitted that prior to meeting me, he would never have considered a young type 1 adolescent....

We all ought to consider what impact our diabetes lifes have on other people around us.. Even what impression we give to Employers.. As we can give them reasons to never want to employ another diabetic... Or give them reasons to employ as many diabetics as possible!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Are you seeing the podiatrists? Is your ulcer being treated? There are several techniques which are usually successful at healing foot ulcers.One of the most effective, but not often used, is to put the foot in plaster and immobilise it. the plaster needs to be removed, the ulcer treated and a new plaster put on weekly. Most ulcers will heal in about 6 weeks with this treatment.
It's not usually enough to have a practice nurse dress a diabetic ulcer on the sole of a foot.
#It also isn't necessary to have an ulcer that long. GOOD Bg control helps too.
Hana

candiloo

Hi - I had issues at work and I, through my union representative, asked for reduced hours and they did me a 4 day week. I also asked for a different job as the one I was doing gave me hypos every night and it was unacceptable when they suggested I ran my levels higher, as this mean that I was risking damage to my nerves. I applied for and got a job that I can do and they have supported me, but I could not have done this without the help of Unite and their rep, and the lovely people at the
Equalities place, who I phoned and got advice from and who kept a file and advised me at each step of the way. I found all the information through Diabetes UK. If the job, the hours and the ulcer are all affecting your work due to your disability (diabetes) you can request changes in your workplace, and I also get paid an hour twice a year if I need to take time off for consultants appointments as they are aware that you cannot always choose the times you have the appointment. Use all the legal information you can and write officially asking them for the things and help you need, explain the effect that their refusal is having and join Unite so that you have support. It is hard to do it on your own, you need someone who is on your side. Candi Fellows

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

Youre covered by the law for discrimination and your employer HAS to supply you with an ergonomic workplace suited to your situation. I am not sure whether you are a member of a union. If so speak to your union rep about this.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Connela, Please get your ulcer seen to ASAP. What has your consultant/Diabetes Team said??/ After 2 1/2 years, that's a long time for it not healing..wow..I hope your BGs readings are under control..Sorry to hear about employers treating you terribly.