can I heal type 1???

Moreno

I think she means, try her best to not eat and always giving insulin. NOT CARE IT. I haven't tried a diet but i should really stop. I really like soccer. I think i might need to diet myself and start taking as less insulin as time goes on. im only 18.

Claire

Moreno...

To be honest, I wasn't too clear what you meant in your post, so forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick....but were you saying I am trying not to eat???!!! Have you actually read my posts???!!! I love my food (a little TOO much actually) and I think you would realise if you read what I have been posting that I am eating very well indeed. Yes, I am trying not to eat certain foods, but I cannot imagine trying not to eat at all!

Claire

Claire

Sorry, didn't get time to post yesterday so have two days to enter today...

Day 20

am <b>BS 5.1</b>

Decided to bike into school today (10 miles), drank a glass of orange juice to fuel the journey. <b>No insulin</b>. Stopped halfway as I felt like I was getting a bit low and wanted to check it out...<b>4.5</b>. Had a couple of sugar tablets to keep me going.

8:30am Breakfast: very large chunk of watermelon, DELICIOUS!!! <b>No insulin</b>

No time for a mid-morning snack today...too busy!!!

12:30pm <b>BS 4.5</b> Large salad with bean sprouts, mixed seeds, romaine lettuce, two oranges. <b>No insulin</b>

3pm <b>BS 5.7</b> half a pineapple to fuel the journey home. <b>No insulin</b>

4pm realised as I tried to set off home that my knee was quite painful :evil: Decided to get the bus home instead. BAD decision. Took me two and a half hours to get home (10 miles), could have cycled in just over an hour [:0] Good old London transport. And we're all supposed to be leaving our car at home to get the bus???

Was very grouchy all evening due to bad journey home and didn't feel much like eating, so made a green veggie juice instead. <b>No insulin</b>

8pm <b>4 units levemir</b>

Made a RAW APPLE PIE. Looks so delicious, will have a big slice tomorrow. I made a crust of dates and almonds, all whizzed up in the food processor to make a "dough", which I pressed onto a baking tray. Then I cut some apples thinly and tossed them with orange and lemon juice, cinnamon and raisins and put that mixture on top of the crust. Will let you know tomorrow how that tasted!

Bedtime <b>BS 6.5</b>

Claire

Day 21...

am <b>BS 4.2</b>

Had time this morning to do some exercise, so ate a banana (no insulin), went for a quick walk (30 mins) and tried a little bit of running in with it. First time in over a year due to injured calf! Seemed OK, hooray! I miss my running. Will try to do a little bit a few times a week and start to build it back up again. Insoles should be ready soon, which will help. Got back home and did some weights in the garage.

Went to the hospital today for carbohydrate counting group (similar to one-off DAFNE for those people who can't do a proper DAFNE course yet) and had to get the bus there, so was in a mad rush to get out of the house. Didn't have time to make my veggie juice for breakfast, so grabbed a large piece of my apple pie to have on the bus. Felt really naughty, eating pie for breakfast...then I remembered it was only fruits and nuts so nothing to feel bad about! <b>3 units NR</b>

Got to the hospital 20 minutes late :evil:I hate public transport. Carb-counting was quite fun, can't say I honestly learned anything new but was nice all the same to meet some other people with diabetes and get a morning off work :D. The nurse did everyone's HbA1c! Was not prepared for that, was expecting to get mine done next month at the consultant. Felt a bit cheated as my control has been much better lately and I know I will have a better HbA1c next month, but was still pleased as mine came out at <b>5.9%</b> That's 0.9 lower than last time and I was the only one in the group under 7.

11am <b>BS 4.4</b> ate a banana, <b>no insulin</b>.

1pm lunch <b>BS 3.7</b> ate a sugar tablet to correct. Didn't feel that hungry after the big slice of pie for breakfast, so just had a nectarine and some green salad. <b>No insulin</b>

4pm Picked up my bike from school and rode home (10 miles). Drank a carton of orange juice for fuel. <b>No insulin</b>. Journey nearly killed me, it was so windy I felt like my legs were going round and round and I wasn't getting anywhere!!! Knackered!

6pm dinner <b>BS 4.9</b> Big salad with vine tomatoes, walnuts, romaine lettuce and red pepper. 2 nectarines. <b>No insulin</b>.

8pm <b>3 units levemir</b>

bedtime <b>BS 6.7</b>

Raw chocolate parcel came today but was taken hostage by the post office as no-one was in to collect it....will be able to pick it up tomorrow morning, yum.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Claire

Did anyone in the group have any comments to make on your raw food diet?

Regards Val

Claire

Hi Val

Thanks for your post!

No, we didn't discuss individual eating styles at all as it was only 9:30-12:30 and the dietician had a very long lesson plan...ran over by half an hour as it was!

It was nice, though, that the dietician running the group has seen all of us individually and so knew what our food preferences were. She gave me all the vegetarian dishes to look at when estimating the carb content of meals etc. As I posted a while back, she is OK with my eating style as long as I take care to include enough calories and protein from pulses.

How are things going for you?

Claire

Lady J

Hi Claire

Well done on the HBa1c. I'm terrified mine will have gone up instead of down (was 6.7 last time) because I've been ill with this chest infection and running high for a couple of weeks now :(

Do you mind me asking which hosp you're at? I live in south london, too, and am at King's College. Was just wondering whether you might be at the same one!

LJ

Claire

Hi LadyJ

I'm not that far into London, I'm at Queen Mary's Sidcup. Studied at King's College, though!

Hope you're feeling better

Claire

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Claire

I hope everything is ok with me. I go for my next checkup 21st March. It is rather frustrating that in between times I have no idea how things are going and I just keep telling myself that if I feel ok then hopefully I am keeping everything in check.

I have quite a few questions to ask the DN - one of which is why can't they prescribe me with test strips. Expect the reply will be the same as the other times I have asked.

I am amazed at your diet. I honestly could not do it but you seem to be happy and enjoying it.

Regards Val

Claire

Hi Val

I can't imagine not having test strips and not knowing what is going on with my blood sugar. It must be very frustrating. As you will know if you have been reading my posts, I am testing every couple hours as I hate the thought of being too low or too high. I hope this kind of obsessive stage passes as I get the hang of things more.

Could you get strips on the internet? I think I have read that other type 2s are doing that. It's not ideal but at least then you would be able to have more control over what's happening!

Finding this raw food way of eating has been amazing for me. I feel so much better. When I come off it and eat something "normal" I certainly feel my body reacting to it. Whether it helps me to reduce my insulin or not I will definitely be sticking to it, maybe not 100% but certainly as my preferred way of eating.

Good luck with the DN!

Claire

Claire

Day 22...

What a day! :(

Must be coming down with something. Woke up with BS at 10.4 and despite pumping insulin in all day stayed between 10 and 19 [:0] Also threw up a few times. Have never had anything like this since being diagnosed, but then again have not been ill yet as a diabetic...quite surprising really given that I work in three different schools and the kids are always ill with something or the other.

Didn't eat much today as my tummy wasn't too happy. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow.

See you later...

Day 23...

Woke up feeling a bit rough still, and BS was still too high...<b>8.8</b> :(

Didn't fancy any breakfast and anyway didn't have time to be juicing due to getting up late and having to be out of the house by 7am!

10am BS had come back down with bump, <b>2.3</b> [:0] and I was STARVING. It was like my body suddenly wanted all those calories it missed out on yesterday! Ate a couple of sugar tablets for the hypo, then a banana, half a pineapple and three nectarines! Didn't even feel stuffed afterwards, weird. <b>4 units NR</b>

1pm lunch <b>BS 5.4</b> two nectarines and a big salad (which my partner made for me, wow!) with lettuce, cuspamber, pepper, bean sprouts and walnuts and a mustard/orange/lemon/lime/olive oil dressing. Very nice...should get my lunch made for me more often! No <b>insulin</b>.

4pm <b>BS 5.0</b> two bananas. <b>1 unit NR</b>

Went shopping after work and bought a HUGE amount of fruits and veggies :D Decided I am fed up with going to the shops to get more supplies every two minutes so am buying in bulk now! Gots loads of melon and oranges, seem to have a real craving for them at the moment, wonder why? Will have to see what nutrients they have in them.

6pm dinner <b>BS 4.2</b> Didn't actually feel too hungry, tummy a bit dodgy again. Had a banana and didn't really want anything else. :( Don't like it when I'm not hungry because I like eating so much lol

8pm 4 units levemir

bedtime <b>BS 5.5</b>

Day 24 already tomorrow!

Lady J

I meant I'm at King's College Hospital, as opposed to the yooni!

Sorry to hear you're not well, it's a nightmare on the BGs!

LJ

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Claire,

Not sure if you may already be aware of this organisation, but I thought you might be interested. They run courses in raw food diets.

http://www.therawfoodschool.com/

ChocFish

Hi Claire - have you seen any of these sites at all, I have been to Karen Knowlers seminars and receive her newsletters too.
I do this raw food thing too, but not for very long, I do this usually 2 months and have just finshed a stint after the Christmas/New Years excesses.
http://www.karenknowler.typepad.com/

http://www.totalrawfood.com/products/&c ... product=73

http://www.fresh-network.com/

http://www.rawfor30days.com/Site/Home.html (this is a video)

Ok, hope all goes well for you.

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Claire

Hi Chocfish

Thanks for the links...all very interesting :)

Didn't realise there was another raw foodie on here, nice to know that I am not a freak lol

come to think of it, I do remember reading about how you used diet to improve your diabetes.

So what do you think about raw food?

How were the seminars? I have seen so many advertised, and some quite local to me, but they are so expensive and I'm not sure what I would learn that I can't learn off the raw food forum...would be interested to hear about your experience.

Nice to hear from you, hope you are doing well :D

Claire

Claire

Day 24...

am <b>BS 4.7</b>

Was going to bike into work today but decided to have a lie in instead as I haven't been feeling too good the past couple of days. Regretted not getting my exercise until I got in the car to go and the heavens opened...good decision!

Drank my veggie juice in the car...few handfuls of spring greens, some green beans, cuspamber, celery, ginger, red pepper, half a lime. <b>No insulin</b>

10:30am <b>BS 6.2</b> Half a honeydew melon. Yum! <b>2 units NR</b>.

12:30pm lunch <b>BS 4.3</b> One nectarine and a salad with little gem lettuce, mushrooms (not so keen on raw mushrooms but they have lots of nutrients), pine nuts, sugar snap peas and alfafa sprouts. Squeezed over half a lime and half an orange as a dressing. Very nice but not enough! Problem with this school is they only have half an hour for lunch...well these days that isn't really enough for me because I have a lot of chewing to do :D Wanted more but couldn't have it because my student had shown up. <b>No insulin</b>.

3pm <b>BS 5.0</b> STARVING! Had a fruit feast..two bananas and four oranges. Certainly felt full after that lol. <b>5 units NR</b>.

4:15pm had a bit of an adventure that I have to tell you about. I work in the school library in this particular school. At 4pm all the librarians went home, but I still had some work to finish so I stayed on. When I went to leave, I realised they had locked the door and I was locked in [:0] Usually I have my own keys to the door, but I realised they were in the rucksack I use for biking. Now, just to put you in the picture let me describe where this library is. It is right on the corner of the building on the top floor. It is up three flights of stairs and it is the only room these stairs lead to. There is a room at the very bottom of the stairs, but that is a conference room which only gets used for meetings and so is generally empty. Hmm. I tried ringing reception, but no-one picked up. I tried again and again, probably every two minutes or so...no answer. Digging around, I managed to find an internal phone list and started ringing random extensions. I phoned the caretaker, got voicemail. Left a pathetic little message about wanting someone to LET ME OUT. Tried phoning the staffrooms, no reply, even tried reception again in case they were just avoiding external calls which at this time on a Friday are likely to be parents giving them aggro...but still no reply. Well, time was getting on, and I have to say I was starting to panic a bit. You don't find many people in a school at nearly 5pm on a Friday night - everyone is out the door by 4pm latest. Phoned my partner who was already home (I rest my case about teachers being out the door quickly on a Friday [:p]) and he suggested setting off the fire alarm. Seemed a bit drastic, but I needed the loo as well, so I was considering it....when I heard the sound of a hoover. Cleaners!!!! I banged and banged on that door, but no-one came, then I realised that was because the hoover was ON and so I was being a bit thick. The minute it stopped I banged again, and after a few attempts this shocked cleaner came running up to let me out at about 5pm. I was SO embarrassed, but also very relieved :D

Anyway, this does have some relevance to the diabetes forum. I have found before that when I get really stressed I hypo - totally the opposite from the people who say their blood sugar goes up with stress. Thought I'd do a quick test, and yep...<b>2.8</b>. Very interesting. Ate three sugar tablets to correct.

7pm dinner <b>BS 4.2</b> Couldn't be bothered with making much of a dinner after my exertions in the school library, so did a veggie juice (kale, celery, cuspamber, ginger, carrot, half a lime)..instant food, the equivalent of when I would get a tin of soup before. And then ate a slice of raw carrot cake. <b>1 unit NR</b>.

8pm had a bit of a weak moment here. My partner went out to get fish and chips for his dinner..and I had a bit of a chip feast. I have to say they still tasted good to me, but boy did I regret it about half an hour later when I got indigestion and a huge headache. My energy also went totally, ended up just vegetating on the sofa. I still don't learn that when I eat junk I pay for it :evil:And I'll be puffy and bloated tomorrow, I bet. Oh well. <b>3 units NR</b>.

8pm <b>4 units levemir</b>

bedtime <b>BS 12.6</b> [:0] got that one wrong! Gave <b>two units NR </b> to correct.

Day 25 tomorrow....

Claire

Day 25 and 26...

Have got a bit behind with my posting, so two days in one go here!

Well, there's actually not a lot to write...let's just say I fell quite spectacularly off the raw food wagon this weekend and ate probably about 50% cooked. Had a meal at my favourite restaurant, which started up cravings big time for other things...:x. BS went all over the place, so did motivation to exercise. Diet is really important with me. If I'm not eating well everything else goes to pot.

Then this morning my period started, which would probably explain quite a lot :oops:

Well, I feel so rough now that I am very motivated to get raw again, and I have decided for the last five days (I had planned to post every day for a month) to really go for 99.9% raw. Eating a little bit of cooked/junk doesn't work for me. I have an addictive personality and I actually think I'll do a lot better with cravings etc if I'm strict with myself.

Will be back later for the next stage...