Pump and a spa day?!?!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Chelsea,

What pump are you using? If your pump is not waterproof and you're going to be in a pool / jacuzzi / sauna / steam room, you would need to remove your pump.
I recommend blood testing regularly as some people find saunas and steam rooms lower their BG levels and obviously, if you take off your pump, remember to reattach it within an hour.

Is there anything more specific that you wanted information on?

Other than that. Enjoy!

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

spideog

Probably best to remove it for those hot rooms / pools so that you don't degrade the insulin.
The cannula is meant to be waterproof, but after soaking in a pool for a long time you may find it coming unstuck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ChelseaLee3011

Thanks for you comments everyone!

If I have to take it off every hour does that mean I need to put it back on for an hour before I can take it off again to go back in the pool?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense? I've only had my pump since Monday! Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chelsea,
What i do with mine is have it attached to be on the poolside, sometimes there are nice loungers to lie about on if you don't fancy getting wet. When going into the pool remove it and put it somewhere safe, but close at hand, you can then clip back into it and reattach if you want to sit at the side again. If you are going into the sauna steam room, I would remove it and stick it somewhere safe, then re attach when out of it, I know they reccomend changing the canula but I wouldn't (personal preference). If you are going to be off your pump for more than an hour you can be but you would either have to bolus before hand or afterwards (it depends how active you will be and how much you will be using hot stuff as for me they always seem to drop my Bg slightly) For example, if you will be hoping in and out of the pool for about 4 hours I would take the pump off but come back to it to have a small bolus to cover my basal rate every hour or so. you can bring your tester with you and keep it in a towel with your pump, usually at spa places there is somewhere to set it so you don't have to run off every hour to the changing rooms. This is just what I would do, have fun and enjoy the spa day.