Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw11bloke

Im not saying segregation.
Perhaps an easy reference next to the profile name saying 'Type 1, or Type 2 or 1.5' and perhaps a quick ref stating if you on a pump, MDI or tablets.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
sw11bloke said:
Im not saying segregation.
Perhaps an easy reference next to the profile name saying 'Type 1, or Type 2 or 1.5' and perhaps a quick ref stating if you on a pump, MDI or tablets.

That's how it used to be I think. To be honest, I think the principle behind you idea is good, to be able to recognise who you are getting info from. I still would give/accept advice from anyone but I do understand where you're coming from.
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dont think we should divide the forum into type 1 or 2 as we share a lot (especially when it comes to food/exercise/motivation). I think though that it should be easier to recognise in what section the question was posted (maybe different colours for sections would work well). When I joined the forum I advised someone wrongly as i didnt realised that the question was in type 2 section

sw11bloke

thats exactly it ewelina, you advised wrongly without realising it was a type 2. Easily done and happened to me and Ive been wrongly advised. A quick reference to see if the person is a type 1 or type 2 on every posting would be helpfull to all. :) :) :)

desidiabulum

sw11bloke said:
thats exactly it ewelina, you advised wrongly without realising it was a type 2. Easily done and happened to me and Ive been wrongly advised. A quick reference to see if the person is a type 1 or type 2 on every posting would be helpfull to all. :) :) :)

This sounds reasonable to me. Couldn't the profile summary in the right hand corner include the profile info on diabetes type, given that the forum is being revamped anyway? In the meantime, I don't see why people don't put their diabetes type in their signature, if they are already putting it in their profile. No segregation, no divisiveness -- just means making pertinent info more easily available.

hornplayer

Sounds an awful lot like the makings of a two tier system to me.

If the forum is changed so that our "status" has to be displayed alongside our names, I for one will be leaving the forum.

- Why would anyone want to offer their opinion if they are going to be dismissed because of their designation? It's another way of establishing a Them and Us culture, but this time by stealth.

If you want to know what type someone is, look up their profile. If the "advice" sounds a bit off, ignore it and move on. There are some incredibly knowledgable people on this forum. Doesn't matter what type they are. - As one particularly wise one said to me recently, - there are as many different ways of handling diabetes as there are people with diabetes. - I took that to mean that we should listen to everything and then forge our own path.

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think that a split in the forum is necessary. I think many of the problems with people posting in the wrong place are people using the app. I have used the app, but prefer the desktop version. I always look at new posts first and never go into individual sections. I sometimes look in the unanswered posts to see if I can help, to make sure that newcomers are not overlooked or ignored.

I'm a Type 2 and would never give advice to a Type 1 on insulin, the only knowledge of it is from reading posts on this forum (I've learnt quite a lot though). I was borderline gestational in two out of my three pregnancies in the 80s and 90s, so if I have any knowledge of the question asked and nobody else is answering, then I will. My other area that I will comment on, no matter what section it is, is people suffering from extreme tiredness. It is not always high blood sugars or rebounds from hypos that cause this, there are physical causes too that GPs often overlook. I know this because I was mis-diagnosed with chronic fatigue when it was Vitamin D deficiency.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't want divisions or a 2-tier system. I like hearing advice from anyone but obviously you weigh up that advice depending on your circumstances. It can be a steep learning curve, but it's so valuable to hear the ideas of others with diabetes, whatever their 'type' or whatever their degree of knowledge about the topic.
So I hope the forum remains as free of demarcation as possible. I find it helpful to read some info about the type of diabetes, the meds regime, etc, added in the signature or elsewhere - and I can't agree with one poster that giving this info is divisive - but correct me if I'm wrong.

Unbeliever

I think we should remember that some posters may have knowledge of different types of diabetes from different sources.
I have known quite a few with T1 and T2 in the immediate family and I think that , for example, a T2 parent of a T1 child would have a great deal of useful experience .
There may be HCPs who do not wish to advertise their status. There is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater here.

I suppose that those who would dismiss advice from anyone of a different diabetic 'type' will do so in any case but any advice needs to be considered on its merits.
Perhaps having profil le information more easily visible would make it easier for Mods to intervene to prevent misunderstandings.

C

catherinecherub

A challenge to the assumption that it is best for a Type1 to answer a Type1 post.

This genuine post from a Type1 was answered by several people and the only help offered was from a Type2 and a person whose profile says that they are related to a diabetic.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49551#p446207

I wonder how the OP is feeling after some callous posts contained in the thread?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To be fair, nobody has said it was "best" for a T1 to answer a T1 question. I think OP just wanted to be able to recognize who was giving advice. I am of the same thought as most others here and would readily look at advice given by anyone but there are certain occasions when a T1 on MDI would possibly struggle to offer good advice on a pump or a T2 on diet/exercise only without knowing. I have had to ask before what treatment someone is on before giving advice. I have suggested to T2's for instance to increase basal insulin only to find out they were not on insulin. I think we should all help & support each other but there are occasions where it would be quicker/easier to see straight away what sort of diabetes/treatment you are dealing with.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting point, catherinecherub. It's the same old story: this kind of messaging doesn't give you such a good chance of picking up well-meant humour and understanding as you would get if you were actually sitting talking to someone. It's the hazard of a forum like this, so we join it with eyes open!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
mo1905 said:
To be fair, nobody has said it was "best" for a T1 to answer a T1 question. I think OP just wanted to be able to recognize who was giving advice. I am of the same thought as most others here and would readily look at advice given by anyone but there are certain occasions when a T1 on MDI would possibly struggle to offer good advice on a pump or a T2 on diet/exercise only without knowing. I have had to ask before what treatment someone is on before giving advice. I have suggested to T2's for instance to increase basal insulin only to find out they were not on insulin. I think we should all help & support each other but there are occasions where it would be quicker/easier to see straight away what sort of diabetes/treatment you are dealing with.

mo thats exactly what the op said

Is there no way this forum can seperate the 2 somehow? I find I and many type 1's would post a topic but then type 2's would reply which then makes the posting completely irrelevant

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I personally hate 'Type' segregation as I've been helped massively by type 2 members who showed me the low carb method of good control that as a late onset type 1,has improved my life 100 fold and kept my insulin dose low-with segregation I wouldn't have got the great advice that I did do and god knows what my HbA1c would have been like now without the help I received...Having said that I've always stayed out of forum topics such as pumps,MDI etc as I don't feel comfortable or knowledgeable enough to post there out of respect so in the spirit of this-wouldn't it be fairer if people who have no interest in following a low carb diet or disapprove of it as a method of control stayed away from the low carb forum and left us to get on with things too without being derailed and risking thread locks? It works both ways :wink:

sw11bloke

To make myself (the OP) clear...especially to the likes of Andy1234, I have said a few times that Im not looking to segregate. I am asking for a system that can easily recognise who is posting a reply. A system that would quickly ID whether its a t1, t2, t1.5 and whether they on MDI or a pump.
Its got nothing to do with a 2 tier system or equality.

I was once told to eat some cheese when i felt hypo. When I looked at the persons profile, it was a type 2. If that is how a type 2 deals with a hypo, I dont know but certainly not correct information for a type 1.
I also read advice given to a T2 from a T1 advising them to do DAFNE. DAFNE was developed for people with Type 1 diabetes and as such is not appropriate for people with Type 2 diabetes. A T2 would be more suited to DESMOND.

The other day there was a T2 saying that her GP would not give her test strips for free on the NHS and that she had to pay for it. She never mentioned she was a T2 and the thread worked so many diabetics up.... telling her to go to her MP etc. T2's do not get the same presciptions as a T1.

All that could have been avoided if at the top of the thread, we saw her profile name and whether she was a T1, T2 or a T1.5... etc.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Type 1 & Type 2 and this Forum

Even having the persons type easily identified, think the above things would still of happened.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some good points raised sw11bloke but even in the 'Active Topics' section you can see what section someone (the OP) has posted in, even when you reply if you glance above it says which section you are replying in.

They'll always be some confusion no matter how well constructed the forum is, if you see something that shouldn't be there or is irrelevant then bring it to the attention to one of the forum Mods, hopefully they'll remove it or add a comment to rectify the situation.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Sw11bloke not true I'm type 2 and get exactly the same prescription as my type 1 brother so I think some of the replies on this thread are a little biased I can see a lot of ppl leaving this forum because of a few narrow minded on it

Status
Not open for further replies.