How long before eating to take insulin

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't even get me started on my spreadsheet.... Standard deviations all the way ;)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it seems to be working out for you, Andrea. Just a little bit of tweaking needed by the sound of it. I'm a scientist too - PhD astrophysics, but work in pharma currently! What do you do for work?

And my numbers have been aweful the past two days! I'm moving house, it was never going to be pretty! Glad I got my HbA1c done a few days before, 6.1% again, very happy with that :D

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I'm getting there a few more tweaks I think. Low carbing clearly works for you, great result.
I just moved too another thing to adjust for. I keep giving myself mild hypos by over zealous painting so a good excuse not to do any!
I did a PhD in phys chem and work for an agrochemical co. Lots of data analysis so I can't help myself scrutinising my numbers.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While we are talking science, have either of you, or anyone else, used JMP? It's a data visualisation programme that we use at work a lot to analyse data for things like processing conditions, effect of temp and pressure on reaction yields. I was going to attempt to use it to look at my carb/sugar data. Just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this that diabetics use?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
drahawkins_1973 said:
Just a quick update and to say thanks for the suggestions.
The last 2 mornings I've given myself a little bit more insulin than I would normally ( just half a unit). My levels have been much better at the 2 hour mark, around 9-10 so at least a couple of mmol lower than previously. Having a very small snack (~ 5 carbs) and by lunch levels have been back to around 6.
Not perfect but much better.

Definitely much better Andrea :thumbup:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, a unit of Novorapid will lower your BGs by 2-3mmol/l so you'll need a correction shot or two.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
drahawkins_1973 said:
While we are talking science, have either of you, or anyone else, used JMP? It's a data visualisation programme that we use at work a lot to analyse data for things like processing conditions, effect of temp and pressure on reaction yields. I was going to attempt to use it to look at my carb/sugar data. Just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this that diabetics use?

No never used it, will be interested in your results though!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope, me neither. We use Spotfire or Matlab for analysis.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Endo clinic this morning they had me eat 1 slice of toast brown bread and coffee no sugar my bg before eating was 14.6 took 6 units novo rapid now 5 hours later my bg is 13.4 ????

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That does seem a lot of novarapid for one slice of toast and your levels are still high.
Are you newly diagnosed and have you been given any advice about carb counting and checking your basal dose?
I'm still pretty new to all this so not sure what experienced advice I can give.
Your question is hidden in a stream of another discussion so I think if you re-post giving a bit more detail you'll probably get much more helpful answers than I've just given!
Andrea

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Thanks Andrea they diagnosed me almost a year ago as type 2 but none of the medication brought my blood sugars down the hba1 readings also kept rising so ended up in endo I take 12 units lantus solostar at night and 8 units novorapid 3 times a day along with metformin I was initially worried my bs was going to crash but not yet.Very confused atm I thought the insulin would have kept me right still time though thanks again Andrea keep well :)

spats

Adjustments for me are not so much as to just what is eaten. I have a very low BS after having to concentrate!!! much lower than a couple of hours in the garden. So have given up being 'picky about the 2hr reading, I just make sure I am not hypo before driving, If I feel I need to test other than before meals, and miss out the test if I am pretty sure I will read high because of meal time changes, or inter meal snacking.
I am type 2 - no metmorfin as I hated the gut problems - so on Lantus x1 and Nova-rapid x3 - only by request. Main stabilising problems have been with the introduction of other drugs which both say 'discuss with doctor if Diabetic ' BUT do not saying WHY!! I have had to increase both insulins with the introduction of Nortriptyline (for nerve pain) and Levothyroxine (for the beginnings of thyroid problems)
So far I have not had any problems in getting test strips, but I am mindful of the costs!