Advice please...

wilsons888

Was diagnosed with type 2 in January this year and placed on 2 x 500mg Metformin and told to come back in 3 months. Somehow my blood test was lost and it took over another month to organise one and make appointment with GP. This morning I felt really slow and clumsy and did not feel safe enough to drive to work - although I had taken the morning off anyway for my docs appointment.
The GP was not particularly forthcoming with advice and I am concerned about the results. At the point I was first tested in January my hba1c was 90. After 5 months it is still 74 and my GP has doubled my Metformin to 4 x 500mg. Cholesterol is down from 8.5 to 4.1 (atorvastatin 40mg).

Should I be going Low Carb to help ? Would a glucose tester help me at all ? (my GP told me NOT to have one). How abnormally high is a hba1c of 74 ??

I am confused and slightly worried. Just turned 50 am 5.6 and 11st. Up until very recently I was gymming, swimming, doing Karate and generally healthy. Now i can't seem to wake up properly in the morning and feel listless a lot of the time. Is it the metformin, the diabetes , or the combination of both ??

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, an HBa1c of 74 is far too high and doubling the Metformin probably won't make much difference. Yes, you must get hold of a meter and you must reduce your carb intake to a level that the meter shows that your blood sugar is in a good range. It is possible that some of your symptoms are due to the high HBa1c but the meter is the best guide for this as it will show your levels today (rather than the last 3 months average) which may have gone into the 20s or more producing symptoms.

K

Kat100

Hope you start to feel better soon and hope you get better support from gp etc...
Like yourself (I am a newish t2) having a meter is not supported by health practice.....all my symptoms are awful but this feeling tired is the worst ever.....never feel awake....well I do somedays and that is great I love those days but they don't last....I send you my support....

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can normally can get for free from the manufactures. Have a look at the manufactures sites like Bayer, Abbott Medisense, Life Scan, Accu Chek etc, see which meter you like the look off and give them a ring, most will send you a meter or two. Bayer sent me some one as the main meter and a spare that I use when driving or out and about.

Myself I use the Bayer Contour next USB, another good one that's liked are the Bayer Contour XT or the Abbott Medisense Freestyle Lite.

If you have to buy your own strips there are cheaper strip options or buy direct from the manufactures as some may well sell the strips cheaper than a chemist.

Some of the cheaper option are the SD code free, or the supercheck2. The code free has a reputation from posts that it tends to read a bit high.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, pav has given some good info. I have had a Lifescan One Touch for 9 years. You can get cheap strips on eBay but watch the end date. These are often prescribed ones being sold by the user. You have to make up your own mind on the morals of this.

wilsons888

Thanks all !! I am going to sort out a meter and try to take control a bit more. I have been careful about my food - but from reading some of these posts, I think I have not cut down enough on carbs. The fatigue sometimes gets me down though. I had two meetings in different counties over the past two days and this morning I just could not wake up. Had to call the office etc etc. Not good. :-(

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best thing youve done is jion this site .Nine months ago i was in the same position as you now bg levels are down to a acceptable level my cholesterol is the lowest its been in 12 years and my blood pressure is at a normal 80/120 and ive lost 2and a half stone in weight (just by lowering my carbs) take the advice follow low carb and test test test !!!! good luck

Pieter-Jan

The bad and the good news.

You have diabetes as 6.0 is normal and 6,4 already indicated diabetes.

The good news: you have type 2 diabetes and you can reverse it like I did.

I was diagnosed at age 47. When I found out about the doctors lies and
many more, I started looking for a solution elsewhere.

First of all stop taking 'statins'. It's poison and you don't need it as already
900 studies have proven and I have optimal HDL, LDL, and other levels and
two years without this ****!

The ophthalmologist asked if I had glasses? I said, no I do not. Now you do
he said. Which did surprise me as many friends have reading glasses.

Now I do not have reading glasses anymore and I can read the smallest letters
again.. :thumbup: A miracle? For me it was, until I found out by accident what happened.

I have lost faith in most doctors, but the good ones told me what to do.

To find out more how I reversed diabetes, go to www.sugarshiftcoach.com

If you are on Facebook go to 'The Sugar Shift Coach'.

The solution is near!!!

Have a great day!

Pieter :thumbup: