Hypo/Hyper Inducing Medications.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date
C

catherinecherub

When people talk about hypos/hypers they often forget to mention what other non diabetic medications they are on. Something as simple as aspirin, birth control, pills, BP meds, anti-depressants the list is long.

Here is a comprehensive list of meds that can alter your blood sugar readings.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/tools/ ... ose-levels

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A great link; thanks. Probably worth mentioning that as it's a USA sourced list it doesn't include Gliclazide in the hypo list as this generic brand isn't sold in the USA.

desidiabulum

This is really interesting -- thanks. One striking thing is the list of drugs that 'can cause hyper OR hypoglycemia' -- there is rather a lot of difference! I suppose the crucial word is 'CAN' -- as always, individuals respond differently. There's also a more general lesson that as diabetics we should monitor our sugars more carefully whenever there is any change to our medication, regardless of whether it is directly linked to treating diabetes. Since being put on cardio drugs I have found my BGs much more erratic (or is it just my MODY getting more frisky?) -- I'm having to rethink diet and timing of dosage and exercise, but I suppose that's the joy of diabetes -- never a dull moment! :D