Working night shifts

big_daddy

I was wondering if working a night shift would have an effect on my blood sugar levels as I am going to be working in the stock room for HMV from 7:30pm to 4:30am for three nights in a row and I just want to prepare myself for anything that happens.

fractureman

I work nights 9pm-7am is no diff than daytime work apart from we work much harder than day staff. For diabetics is no diff. I inject my lantus at 5pm cos always up at that time. I eat same meals at same time as day workers proper dinner at dinner time sandwiches at work then breakfast just before I go bed in morning

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mchphoto

HI, I have just started a night shift for the royal mail for Christmas and I was worried about my sugar levels. My shift is from 10pm to 6am, so I have my mail meal and a desert of some kind at around 6pm, I snack on some fruit on my way to work. Have a meal break 1-2pm and another tea break at 3.30-4 ish and I am pushing around the cages so I am using a lot of energy compared to other workers who just sort the mail as I am walking a lot, and then have breakfast when I get home 6.30am and I tested before breakfast and found I was 7.2 - I had a feeling it was going to be low. But i drank a lot of water 2 liters with a little juice (no sugar), some tea and coffee during the night. I have little snacks as well as in this department as we are unloading lorries there is some times a mad rush and then periods of nothing for 20 mins so I can as do others do on my shift get a drink / have a rest etc.

Also telling my supervisor about this, he said if I get the need to do something about my low sugars just do it and come back, nothing will be said in fact he was great about this and put me at ease.

I feel quite confident in working with these guys, so the "stress element" is not really there,

So off to sort 22 plus million items in this office over the next 3 weeks - and that is a lot of post and packages. :D

fractureman

My job similar I'm unloading lorries most of night. I have no problems taking break to test always carry a juice carton that's got 20g of carbs in. Can't operate machinery when low

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
apart from we work much harder than day staff.

**** BEEPING STRAIGHT WE DO!!!! i work nights and overnights in mcdonalds i did some opens too to see the difference ummmm closers do all the work we get stock out clean prepare equipment for the next day. Only the delivery person does anything on an open even then we have to rdorganise it because they cant seem to read dates and labels or put things in the right places

But yh sames insulin requirements as normal i found have fun on ur nights

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]