ESA and JSA

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and was taken off JSA and told to claim ESA.

As a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic will I stay on ESA or once any medical certificates I am given expire will I have to go onto JSA?

I feel I need the support of ESA.

Thanks

Imperial

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
No idea ref JSA or ESA however, being diagnosed as a type 1 is not a reasonto claim either, not even diabetic amputees can claim nowadays...

Reactions: 2 people

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was not entitled to ESA when I went onto insulin despite DVLA saying I wasn't allowed to work for 5 months as a coach driver....apparently I was fit for work and scored 0 points in the medical assessment so was not entitled.

Angie

pomanda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are not fit for work you should in theory get put into the support group of Employment support allowance. This means that you don't have to look for work or give Drs certificates in any more. You will have to re apply every one or two years.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetes and was taken off JSA and told to claim ESA.

As a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic will I stay on ESA or once any medical certificates I am given expire will I have to go onto JSA?

I feel I need the support of ESA.

Thanks

Imperial[/quote

Why do you need to claim ESA just because your diabetic?

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having to take so many medications, having little energy.
My best friend living so far away in scotland.
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
I was diagnosed with chronic neuropathic pain 9 years ago and put on incapacity benifit, my company fired me because i was long term sick. But due to the new changes i was given a medical assesment for an invisable painfull desease, they told me i would get esa for a year at which point i would have to start looking for work. They give u this for 365 days then stop it and tell that ur no longer entitled to anything and that ur partner will have to support u. I get £84 a month dla to live on and am very stuborn and independant and hate having to ask my husband for help. I dont know if now having type 1 will make any difference to me or weather or not i should re apply. I dont want to be seen as a scrounger and would love to work if anyone will even think about giving me a job!

Ani xx

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bloody go government benifit changes that help scroungers and not those who really need help.
If you are not fit for work you should in theory get put into the support group of Employment support allowance. This means that you don't have to look for work or give Drs certificates in any more. You will have to re apply every one or two years.

Yes true but it is made almost impossible to pass the medical unless ur head is hanging off too!!

bopeep12300

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes true but it is made almost impossible to pass the medical unless ur head is hanging off too!!

I agree. I was also on ESA, in the support group for a year due to various medical problems that required surgery. I was "invited" along for medical. Scored zero points & got my money stopped & was forced to sign on the dole for jsa. I felt very humiliated having to go in that place & felt as though I was being looked down on.
Luckily I now have a job. I didn't want to sign on for one second longer than necessary.

ani010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah i thought of that but by signing on ur declaring that ur fit for work and im not, so if they forced me to take on a job i wouldnt last long because i would get the sack because i would be off sick all the time.

I am looking for some data entry type work that i can do from home but no luck so far :'( . If anyone knows of anything i would be more than gratefull.

Ani xx