Cramps

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!

I have been suffering from cramps for a long while now but they are not the sort that mostly occur.
By that I mean the sort that usually happen in the side of the leg which most people will try to eliminate by standing and moving the leg up and down. This sort I have happen in any part of my legs, feet or toes and the only thing I have to do is concentrate on trying to relax and allow them to take their course which means the pain gets worse and worse and then will gradually subside and finish. It sometimes takes up to about a minute altogether but once they start to occur, which is usually first thing in the morning, I then have to move very slowly and carefully so that another one doesn't occur. Sometimes I have had three or four happen which is quite exhausting.
My doctor just gave me quinine tablets which really haven't helped very much although I haven't taken them on a regular basis.
I have not read of anyone else suffering this sort of cramps. Any advice would be appreciated.

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.
Hi Foxglove

Cramps seem to be one of the side affects of diabetes, I have had them mostly in my calves...very painful

What I have found as well as the general suggestions of ensuring not deficient in magnesium and taking the key supplements to back up the low vitamin and minerals now in fruit and veg.

Water...Water...Water....are you drinking enough!

It has been suggested that if you are partially de-hydrated you may get the cramps

I drink at least 3 pints of water a day and as long as I do, it seems to keep the cramps away....

Give it a try....it can only do you good and may avoid those painful cramps

Regards

Mr Happy

Tonic water also has quinine so you can get hydrated and the goodness of the q. Compression socks help me though obviously ensure you retain good circulation. Electric blanket, yoga/stretching before bed...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies.
I do drink tonic water. Must up my actual water intake, I know that has been amiss.
Will also look into the magnesium aspect as well.
Never heard of flax oil but if it helps I certainly will be looking into that.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had them and saw the GP a couple of times before I was diagnosed. I tried coming off statins, furosomide and all sorts of other things but calf stretching exercises, and bananas, helped most of all, the stretching exercises especially. The benefit was quick too. Now diet, weight loss and exercise has almost eliminated them. I occasionally get much milder episodes and am very thankfull that I don't get the three of four per night which I used to. As you say, it was exhausting. I hardly dared sleep. Now I get maybe one mild cramps every ten or twelve days. Restoring a chemical balance, postassium or magnesium from bananas will alleviate some symptoms and drinking water will help flush the system out, but stretching exercise opens up the blood vessels.

Have a look at this and click on the thumbnails for more exercises:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... BA&dur=416

You don't have to do many, just make them regular. You're just trying to improve the blood flow.

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been Put on metformin today as my glucose is climbing slowly no matter what I eat its still ranging from 9mol to 14mol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
An update on this subject... I have found that drinking sparkling water has helped immensely as it contains magnesium the lack of this being the reason for cramps. I find that just two small (5ocl) bottles a day is sufficient to offset any attack of cramps... well worth every penny spent on it IMO! .. :clap:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you've found a solution! I imagine the water and magnesium combined is doing you many favours :)

opacity

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Consumerism, waste, modern self-obsession with appearance, animal cruelty, pollution. Lies and liars.
I have suffered from severe cramps for many years. I get them in my legs, my rib cage, my arms, my feet and my hands. At one stage I was getting hardly any sleep, leaping out of bed to put my full weight on the offending leg, and marching round the house several times a night. I would often get cramp in my feet while driving, and have to pull over. Just twisting to the side would bring on rib cramps. Typing on my computer would cause cramps in my hands and arms. It was awful!
Doctors could not offer any help. Quinine is no longer prescribed here in Australia because it has side effects. However, a product called Crampeze, which contains magnesium, feverfew, Vit. B3 and Vit. E has helped alleviate my symptoms remarkably. ( Probably a 70% improvement.) I hope it's available for you in the UK because it gave me back my life!