How do young people grow taller?

tomersn

My younger brother, 18-year-old, but the height was 170, I think it is not high enough, you can eat what drugs or doing exercise let him grow taller?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I take it you mean he is 170cm tall.

By my calculations that makes him 68 inches tall or 5 foot 8 inches (5'8"). That is a perfectly acceptable height for a mature man. I know several men who are around this height or a little smaller. Anyway, he may not have stopped growing yet. Don't worry about it, and don't make him self-conscious about it.

A good diet and normal activity levels will help him achieve his natural height, which is controlled by his genes. Drug therapy etc is only available for extreme cases, and can be very dangerous.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
As far as I know, it's genetics first and then childhood nutrition that are mainly responsible for an adult's height. Severe illness in childhood can also play a part, I think.

My parents were born in 1914 (dad; adult height 5'6") and 1916 (mum; 5'3"). I'm 5'6" and my brother is 6'2". Obviously the genes for height are in there somewhere, but I think my generation (post WWII) was better fed.

You need someone with more knowledge than me to explain it in more detail.

Viv 8)

Morganator

I agree genes play a big part and it all depends which get the upper hand. I am 5'10" (tall for a woman) I have 3 brothers 5'6", 5'10" and 6'2". I have 2 sons one fully grown at 6' and the youngest is currently 6'4" and still growing.
So my point is a lot of it is potluck and your brother is a perfectly normal height and could still grow taller. There is no need to worry or start thinking of pills and potions.
Enjoy your brothers company for who he is, we are all different, that's what makes family interesting. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App