Look after my child

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Really upset today my sister had my daughter yesterday over night,my sister is a stAr and been a massive help.when she brought Chloe home she was eating McDonald a cake and a really sugary yoghurt and I'm ashamed to say I went crazy.she thought that as long as she injected for the carbs Chloe can eat what she wants.to some extent she can but all that sugar was just too much in my opinion .then I found out she let her have 4 crackers before bed with no injections resulting in bloods of 17! I just went mad and I'm still mad and upset but do I have the right to feel like this .im so worried about Chloe's future and I expect everyone to be on the ball like me but I suppose that's unfair I even went as far to say "do you want to see her with no legs " !! I was really upset but now feel ashamed I could put this burden on my sister and speak to her like that when all she does is help me out and try give me a break .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Look after my child

You just panicked and took out your feelings on your sister - a pretty normal reaction when you're so worried and scared. You've quickly realised your mistake and are now kicking yourself.

Why not contact your sister to have a talk, which starts with an apology. Then you can go on to helping her to understand the practicalities of your daughter's situation and maybe writing down the basic rules. Don't let this panic ruin what sounds like a great relationship.

I'm sure you're a good mother and a good sister - be sorry, but go forward!

Best wishes,

Jane.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ditto what Jane said, you had a panic. A one off is ok, she will be fine. Your sister though she was doing the right thing and got confused.

Apologise to her, then explain why you were so upset. She'll understand :)

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

I had a good cry and apologised when I felt calmer.i just get stressed sometimes and took it out on the one person who mean the world to me an goes out her way to help me in everything she can concerning the kids she takes time off work in the school holidays to help look after the girls as I have cancelled childminder just because I worry about other people minding Chloe and her being safe .normally I take things in my stride but this once just went a bit nutty things build up I suppose .i need really to drum things more into Chloe?she knows she has to inject for more than 2 crackers she ,as her diabetic nurse said ,has to be the expert and tell people there wrong .i was very impressed the other week when one of the teacher told her she wasn't having a hypo at 4.1 and not to treat it Chloe told her the machine can be a bit out and she knew she was having one as she knows the symptoms and went ahead to treat it. She's nine and its a big responsibility .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's a lot on little shoulders. I can't imagine anyone telling me I can't treat a hypo. If you're not experiencing it yourself how can a teacher tell her how she's feeling!

Morganator

My son has a rare genetic condition and looking back I was like you in a state of panic about what might go wrong instead of looking for the good.
My family understood as I'm sure your sister does that I needed time to educate myself about his health then I could deal with things in a calmer manner.
Your daughter seems to have a wise head on young shoulders and this will stand you both in good stead.
As a Mum you always worry and it's good you've made up with your sister as you will both no doubt need each other in the future. TC xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Pleased you did the right thing and apologised Shell. In your shoes I would sit down with your sister over coffee and explain to her what Chloe can and cannot eat and when she must inject, it's all a big learning curve understanding the complexities of living with type 1 diabetes and I'm sure your sister meant well.

Impressed that Chloe knew that a reading of 4.1 was borderline hypo :thumbup: