Super highs urgent!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you do your basal test tonight and post your results?

trevorfather

My daughter (now 23) had numbers in the range you are describing for YEARS - her local team were unable to resolve the problems. After MUCH fighting with the PCT etc we got her refered to KCH in South London, (MANY MILES FROM YOUR HOME BUT HEY!).
The Team a KCH sorted her out very quickly and she is now on a pump with HBA1c of under 8. (a VAST improvement in just a few months).
My advice is Push your local PCT for a second or even third opinion. there are people who will go the extra mile to help you just have to find them!
Good Luck.

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
Can someone explain to me why a prolonged spell of highs happens?
I know illness is a reason, maybe stress (or whatever the new in word is nowadays).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There can be so many reasons for long bouts of highs..

1) illness or infection
2) as said... Stress
3) not making changes to basal or bolus if winter affects your levels
4) in case of being a pump user, faulty equipment, sets blocked by muscle or blood
5) using bad injection sites and not trying other places
6) insulin being stored at wrong temperature
7) guestimating carbs
8) changing diet
9) not having confidence to adjust doses
10) newly diagnosed and treatment not assessed fully to lifestyle
11) rebellion against diabetes
12) slow colonic transit
13) not making sure meter is calibrated and working properly
14) eating foods that have high spike levels
15) faulty insulin pens (should be checked regularly)

These are just a few

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh and changing medicines ie having anti depressants or anti biotics etc and not realising they can affect bgs

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You sure weren't injecting water instead of 110 units of novorapid per day? cos i'd be dead if I injected that and not had a mountain of sugar to eat. Either that or the insulin isn't working for you or you built up some super resistance to it because 110 units is a hell of alot, enough to put you in a diabetic coma 10x over, or maybe a little less.

Morganator

nmr1991 said:
You sure weren't injecting water instead of 110 units of novorapid per day? cos i'd be dead if I injected that and not had a mountain of sugar to eat. Either that or the insulin isn't working for you or you built up some super resistance to it because 110 units is a hell of alot, enough to put you in a diabetic coma 10x over, or maybe a little less.
It's not that unusual, I inject at least 120 units of Humulin S and 120 of Insulatard a day. The current thinking is that I am allergic to insulin so my immune system is destroying a large part of that. I am underweight so can't really blame resistance.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App