Incorrect Insulin Storage

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Just went to the Boots chemist to collect my prescription of Insulin , the assistant gave me the package as I usually do I checked all my items that I requested were there before I left so I could put a repeat in if needed. What I found was my insulin and thus question where she got it from , the shelf ,I showed her it was insulin we both checked the date it was owning from 18 November ( been in hospital for a good week) and asked why it was not stored in the fridge, she did not know but it had been checked.it is apparent that my insulin certainly was stored wrongly and had I not seen her take it from the shelf I would happily taken it home and at the worst case used insulin that has been sitting on a shelf 2 weeks , does this sort of thing happens a lot feel very anxious ,

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes take it back and raise your concerns, usually when I collect my prescription the bag with my needles, lancets and bg sticks will have a sticker on to say there's fridge items also, I'm always careful to note they they get my insulin from the fridge as I don't trust them.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told when changing onto the pump that the insulin needs to be stored in a cool place, if stored in the fridge remove 48hrs before use to restrict the amount of air bubbles. My chemist always got it from the fridge and there was all ways the fridge sticker on it.
When on mdi i used it straight from the fridge so I'm now really confused.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RichardJ said:
I was told when changing onto the pump that the insulin needs to be stored in a cool place, if stored in the fridge remove 48hrs before use to restrict the amount of air bubbles. My chemist always got it from the fridge and there was all ways the fridge sticker on it.
When on mdi i used it straight from the fridge so I'm now really confused.

It should be stored in a fridge until use, once the cartridge / pen has been started it can be stored at room temperature but it must be used within a month. The OP would therefore have to use all the contents within a month from when they were placed on the shelf.

Boots should know better than that, take it back and complain to the pharmacist on duty.

Angie

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I opened the bag saw that it contained Insulin in front of the assistant, pointed out that it should have come from the fridge as stated on my name/ and instructions , and as I said in post it has been checked then put on the shelf with my other meds since October / November, she is going to raise this as it should not have happen and also to ensure that if will not happen again,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they give you a replacement batch from the fridge?

Glad they are going to look into it.

Angie

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Thankful I have enough but have put in a repeat x scrip for insulin, so was not urgent, will ask what the out come was when I pick up next meds

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya alohanicky!

Complain to Boots Head Office - there is a contact email address on their website. Although you noticed it and was therefore able to avoid that batch of insulin, many others might end up with ineffective insulin. The staff and pharmicist need training and this will not happen unless you report it to Head Office. I had a similar situation in Boots a few months ago, but luckily the Pharmicist himself realised as he went to give me my prescription and he cleared the shelf and ordered new stock.

I have previously used a batch of levemir that was not effetive and I spent a month with higher than normal levels and kept altering my dose etc worrying about what was going on. Eventually I tried a different batch and all went back to normal. I strongly suspect the insulin had been stored incorrectly at Boots but have no evidence of it.

I think we should always report incidence of incorrectly-handled insulin to make sure that staff in chemists get proper training. Our health is at risk from ignorance among chemist staff.

Smidge

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Something very similar happened to me a few months ago when the pharmacist noticed the Apidra she was dispensing for me had been left on a shelf and was at room temperature. She was cautious about dispensing it even though I was more than happy to take it as insulin has an 'out of fridge' shelf life of 28 days. In the end she gave me one vial and I had to go back for another, when I used the vial which had been left out of the fridge at the pharmacy, the insulin worked perfectly well and my control was excellent.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Complained to the manager of the store who will be investigating, but what was interesting was just completed a DAFNE course 6 people participating and 3 have experienced insulin problems with, storage, and the wrong insulin given, that is 50% , rather worrying ,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, my Lloyds pharmacy always gets it from the fridge when I pickup the main prescription