i hate and this disease

Liz King

Hi viktoria,

well done, youve done something positive and beat the snarling receptionist!! Small victory!!!
Just one question, are you treated by GP or diabetic consultant??? I never go to to GP for diabetic advice, over the years had awful advice - so unrealistic - they work from a textbook scenerio - we are all different and have differing reactions, lifestyles etc etc If not already, get refered to consultant, thats where the good dnurses are, access to dafne, etc etc new insights, others experiences etc etc.

Be strong and get the advice/support you need, dont let the GP railroad you.

Good luck

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Liz, not seen either for a number of years. Poke my head in for scripts that about it. Had fantastic consultant when i lived in England now back in wales and the hospital i originally used is not something i want to revisit. Had appalling time when first diagnosed so am not keen. Will see how i get on later, hubby coming too!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
another welshie :)
Night time/early morning hypos wash me out too. Thankfully few and far between. Well done on getting past receptionist, let us know how you get on. You should be in regular contract with dsn/consultant. If all ok 6 monthly visits, if struggling should be 3 monthly visits if not more. They are the ones who arrange carb counting courses, pumps and are generally more knowledgeable on type 1.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

viktoria

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sut mae Brett?! I bit the bullet, had battery of blood tests and was told need to lose lots of weight. 8 months waiting list for dafne course but have a referral in for consultant, dn, chiropodist, retinopathy the whole caboodle. Bloody exhausted now. Think hubby may now understand that in not intentionally a moody mare and my flat out on the sofa by 9pm may be slightly beyond my control. Glad i have taken a small step to getting this on track.

jeves

viktoria said:
Sut mae Brett?! I bit the bullet, had battery of blood tests and was told need to lose lots of weight. 8 months waiting list for dafne course but have a referral in for consultant, dn, chiropodist, retinopathy the whole caboodle. Bloody exhausted now. Think hubby may now understand that in not intentionally a moody mare and my flat out on the sofa by 9pm may be slightly beyond my control. Glad i have taken a small step to getting this on track.
I wish you luck as I also work in pharmacy and if you remember I'm a type1 take care

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think we have all felt like this and it's hard for others to understand. If it really is getting you down and depressed then talk to your doctor about it. They should be able to offer you some support. Therapy/Counselling has had a positive impact for me.

este

I feel like this a lot of the time too, Diabetes sucks and after twelve years I'm pretty angry with the world about it some days. Well, more than pretty angry. Try taking some vitamins and drinking lots of water for energy and your immune system, and make sure you get to the doctor at some stage because this will help with both health and feeling sad. That doesn't change the fact we have to live with this pain in the **** disease but it will help you to feel better about it! The losing weight thing I've struggled with too but your doctor will be able to refer you to a dietician, the best advice I had was to eat little and often and not to miss out carbs, instead just have healthy carbs like brown bread and wholemeal pasta. On the really rough days when I can't help but hate my life/diabetes, I just find it better to distract yourself short term. Go on a walk/go out for coffee/ read a book or watch a film and it takes a little bit of the sadness away.

Liz King

Hiya,

Just wondering How you were doing??? Feeling any happier, more in control??? Please keep in touch, take care, Liz

LilyH20

Thought I'd share my 20+ years of experience here too.
T1, Insulin Pump, NovoRapid (been on and off lots of types of pens before), Control approx 60s-40s for 5+ years, so good control (but not in the past!!)

-So one time I was vomiting for 6hours (some kinda bug) lived on my own, waited and called NHS 24 who got me a taxi to the hospital at 1am (In my PJs with a plastic jug for the vomit), should of seen the faces of the parent who were sat across from me, prob thought I was a drunk, GP was so very nice and helpful, but I suspect the survey he got me to fill out afterwards may have been an incentive lol, gave me an anti-emetic injection and off I popped home, to work the following day, total brave face!

-Another vomiting episode the morning I went to get my pump! Stopped vomiting at 9am, got a taxi to hospital, no shower, in my night dress, no bra (I forgot) and completed the pump day. Got my pump, 2 years later, doing well lol

-New BF, called an ambulance after a bad hypo (bit of a night seizure, not had one since we broke up-wierd), ambulance men insisted I go to hospital (following protocols), I went reluctantly and was subsequently discharged after a few hours. Had to pay for a taxi back to my accommodation, got my uniform and headed to work, all in the same day!!

-Leaving a friends house, walking to bus stop, could feel my legs going, tongue tingling, sweating and typical signs of hypo, so I went to nearest shop and told shop assistant I was having a hypo and if she knew where the Jelly babies were. She got them for me and I ate them as I was sat on the shop floor cos my legs had given in by this point.

These are just a few of the embarrassing/mortifying things that I have had to endure through this illness, too many to list them all. Though they have challenged me to tears, and thoughts of 'Why me, WHY, dear god, why!!!!!'
I can say that I am a stronger person today and I don't really care what anyone thinks. Life is too short. You can overcome anything when you put your mind to it. Even when the body is not committed the spirit is what matters. You have to keep going. Keep fighting, and keep your chin up. You will overcome this and laugh in its face. Believing is half the battle, You can do Viktoria :)

Reactions: 2 people

BethTwydall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
****** doctors
Hi everyone. I know the original post was a while ago and I really hope you have found the support and strength to get yourself back on track, but just wanted to share a bit of my story!
Diagnosed at 10, and I'm now 23. In that time I really have had my ups and downs. Being a teenager was particularly hard as I was massively into the rave scene and all that entails. I almost ignored my diabetes and did the bare minimum. I think being a teenager you lack the insight into your own future. I had a few episodes in hospital, I had a fit at a massive nightclub and woke up at my friends flat the next morning with no recollection, I had a massive low at Nottinghill carnival and had to fight my way through the crowd to find a shop with a chocolate bar, I've passed out in a hotel room after a festival. The thing that finally broke me was waking up in hospital after a rave and another bad hypo and my dad sitting there crying. Something in me finally snapped and the enormity of the disease really hit me. It took me longer then it should have but I was so caught having 'fun' I didn't see the bigger picture.
After all this I really pushed to get on a daphne course and get a pump. Which took about two years but was worth the constant battling with the hospital. Both these things have helped me massively. The best thing for me was just to research and read as much as possible, about nutrition, diet, sports nutrition, exercise anything and everything I can get my hands on I read. I educate myself and then I make small decisions at a time to help me manage this disease. My last hba1c was 7 which is the lowest it's been in years but definitely room for improvement.
The one thing that really gets me down and makes me feel like giving up is the care I receive! I know we are so blessed with the NHS but I can't help feel that I would rather pay and have care that was constant and supportive. I've grown up in Kent and the team just seem to be so stretched they just don't seem to have time to spend with you. Haven't seen a dietician for years due to them being short staffed and my meetings with the consultant are so short and so uninspiring. They seem to just check off what they need to do and that's all they have time for. I want to ask so many questions but there's no time. So many times I've left the hospital crying with frustration. Even when my control was bad they didn't offer any suggestions just told me to 'increase my insulin' like it's that simple.
So over the years I've learnt that this is my disease and it's something that I have to manage by myself. Doctors and nurses will come and go but this disease will be with me for life. I've completely given in to being frustrated and upset about it, it's a waste of my energy that's better spent on the daily grind of managing my diabetes. I am so determined to have a long and healthy life and that is really what keeps me going. I am so blessed to have a very supportive boyfriend who helps me in any way he can.
I've just moved to Somerset so will get back to you all on how my care is down here, but considering the GP was such a pain about simply referring me to the hospital I'm not holding my breath!
Keep your spirits high and try and enjoy life, diabetes or not :) xxx (sorry for the waffle)

Reactions: 4 people