Question about my GP Referred GTT Patient Information Sheet

calumcco

There is a section where it says "Providing the above results indicate a Glucose Tolerance Test according to guidelines agreed by the laboratory you would be given an appointment for the test.

So what does this mean? My 2 blood glucose levels were 7.9 and 6.7 respectively so why has my GP sent me for a GTT only for me to possibly get to the hospital, tell them my results and for them to tell me a GTT will not be necessary???

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Question about my GP Referred GTT Patient Information Sh

Dear Calumcco,
I must admit that I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. I am assuming that the two figures that you mention for recent B/G tests were conducted after having 'Fasted' for 12 hours previously. If that was the case then the 7.9 mmol/L fasting B/G reading would indicate diabetes where as the other reading dosent, though it does show raised or elevated B/G levels.

For diabetes to be confirmed your Dr would need to record both your B/G levels at 7.0 mmol/L or higher, so he/she might under your present circumstances decide to have you undertake a GTT test just to see how well or otherwise your body is able to deal with processing Glucouse within your bloodstream. It will then help establish just how close you may be to going on to develope diabetes in the conventional sence and mayby possibly with careful ammendments to you diet and lifestyle, avoid it all together.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. The quote you provide isn't in English as I know it (not your fault)!. I would ask your GP to translate it into meaning-full English so you can understand what your next move is. If it's to do a GTT then that can be done at the surgery or possibly the local hospital. The results can then be discussed by you with the GP. Yes, your readings give hint of diabetes but fasting or random blood tests are not the best indicator so a GTT is often the next test to be offered

calumcco

Thanks guys, 2 brilliant answers which have helped me to understand a bit more!!!

However the main question remains unanswered. It states that when I go for the OGTT they will take a pin prick sample of blood from a finger, this will then be analysed to see if carrying on with the test is necessary. In what circumstances would it not be necessary to continue with the test?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

One example could be if someone had a high blood glucose level when they got there meaning that a OGTT would be totally inappropriate.
Random readings over 11mmol/l are indicative of diabetes in any case so a finger prick reading giving a reading this high would be a reason to abandon a test designed to send the glucose even higher.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Hi

As I understand it. The oral glucose test means you drink a measured amount of glucose drink on an empty stomach and wait ( no activity, like walking around) to see your blood levels respond. They will often measure every 30 minutes with a final test after 2 hours.

Hope this helps. Please let us know your results!

Cara

calumcco

I believe the normal blood glucose readings are from 3.0-5.5mmol/l... Is that correct?
And I am very nervous about the test, I cant stand blood being taken, let alone from a finger prick and then another 3 samples over 2 hours :shock:
Can anybody on here tell me how scary the procedure is please?
Thanks

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Hi

They may only do 1 hr and 2 hrs. It does seem to vary.

I didnt find it scary at all but then I'm a blood donor so I am used to needles etc

You may find the taste of the drink is the worst thing.

Did you get a welcome message from Daisy when you joined? There is good info in that on blood sugar levels.

Cara

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

phoenix said:
One example could be if someone had a high blood glucose level when they got there meaning that a OGTT would be totally inappropriate.
Random readings over 11mmol/l are indicative of diabetes in any case so a finger prick reading giving a reading this high would be a reason to abandon a test designed to send the glucose even higher.

When I was sent for my OGTT, I had been experiencing slow weight gain and my annual FBG had been slowly rising.

On the day of the OGTT, the nurse administered a fingerprick test before I took the glucose dose. I believe this was a safety check that it was safe to procede with the procedure.

calumcco

Hi Cara, I have heard that the drink can make people fee dizzy or even faint, can you confirm this? Does it taste very unpleasant then?
If I went for the glucose tolerance test and my blood sugar level was say 6.0 would they proceed?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had several gtt tests while I was prediabetic, in my case they only took bloods before the glucose drink and then again two hours later. I'm not keen on needles much either - for some reason they can only ever get blood out of my left elbow, right arm seems to be devoid of blood, so I was a bit twitchy about having blood taken from the same vein two hours apart, but it was really not scary or painful at all. They didnt do any finger prick tests before.

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

mcdonagh47

yes. your 7.9 indicates a test needs to be done.
It won't just diagnose T2 diabetes an OGTT can suggest ...

--"normal" under 7 at the start and under 7 at 2 hours

-- IFG -- Impaired fasting Glucose ("pre-diabetes") - over 7 at start under 7 at 2 hours

-- IGT - Impaired Glucose Tolerance ( a can of worms in its own right but not Type 2) between 7 and 11.1 at 2 hours

-- Type 2 Diabetes - over 11.1 at the 2 hour mark.

So get the get the OGTT done because you definitely need to know which of those conditions applies to you.

And no an OGTT is not scary - its just very boring. So take a book/ipad/kindle etc.

calumcco

Is it possible I could sit in my car in the grounds of the hospital for the 2 hours as I am claustrophobic in hospitals? My level dropped to 6.7, is that any more promising?

M

Maybird

calumcco said:
There is a section where it says "Providing the above results indicate a Glucose Tolerance Test according to guidelines agreed by the laboratory you would be given an appointment for the test.

So what does this mean? My 2 blood glucose levels were 7.9 and 6.7 respectively so why has my GP sent me for a GTT only for me to possibly get to the hospital, tell them my results and for them to tell me a GTT will not be necessary???

When I had my GTT it was when it was found I had high blood pressure so GP ordered a routine blood test which showed my glucose level was a bit raised..in the 6's. Had it done at the hospital blood test first then the drink... only thing that worried me was the sweetness of the glucose drink they give you can't stand really sweet but not as bad as I expected as it was lemon flavoured so did take the sweetness off a bit then waited 2 hours for the second blood test then finished Mine did show I had a glucose intolerance

calumcco

Hello Maybird :D
Can you tell me what happened next as a result of your diagnosis as a Glucose Intolerant?
Were you put on medication, did you need further blood tests, did you have to adjust your diet, do you require regular check-ups?
Thanks
Calum :)

P.S. What were your symptoms prior to getting your diagnosis?

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The drink is not unpleasant, just thick and sweet... I didn't feel well within 1/2 hour and actually fell asleep from the glucose overload... I had to be woken up for my 1 1/2 hour sample.

calumcco

How do you know how many times you will be called for blood? Some people have just 2 blood tests at the 0 and 2 hour mark and others have another one at the 1 1/2 hour mark. Why is this? :D

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

calumcco said:
How do you know how many times you will be called for blood? Some people have just 2 blood tests at the 0 and 2 hour mark and others have another one at the 1 1/2 hour mark. Why is this? :D
Basically the more plots you plot on the graph,the more accurately we can see of how your body copes with the glucose dose. In my case my first phase insulin response is shot but my second phase insulin response is quite good and at T+2hr I am back to my pre-dose BGs, having peaked at T+40 min @ ~ 10mmol/L.I would not be detected by the 2 test OGTT but my first phase is definately that of a diabetic!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Each time I've had the ogtt its just been two samples, one before the drink and the other two hours after. It just depends on what your HPC's test policy is.

The OGTT tells them much more about your insulin response than the fasting glucose test. I had similar fasting test results as you for quite a while and had an annual OGTT to monitor the progression from pre to full T2, my fasting test results were pretty similar all the way through but the OGTT kept going up gradually over the 7 years I had the tests done, eventually I hit the magic 11.2 OGTT result and won the star prize.

Once diagnosed as T2 in my area you don't have any more OGTT tests, just the Hba1c tests and if they think necessary, the gad test.

The OGTT is no worse than the fasting test.

calumcco

Thommothebear said:
Each time I've had the ogtt its just been two samples, one before the drink and the other two hours after. It just depends on what your HPC's test policy is.

The OGTT tells them much more about your insulin response than the fasting glucose test. I had similar fasting test results as you for quite a while and had an annual OGTT to monitor the progression from pre to full T2, my fasting test results were pretty similar all the way through but the OGTT kept going up gradually over the 7 years I had the tests done, eventually I hit the magic 11.2 OGTT result and won the star prize.

Once diagnosed as T2 in my area you don't have any more OGTT tests, just the Hba1c tests and if they think necessary, the gad test.

The OGTT is no worse than the fasting test.

Hi Thommo, what are Hba1c tests and a gad test?
Thanks