Low carbs do not always work

M

Maybird

noblehead said:
I think (although Maybird may elaborate further later on) that she's saying her diet has been low(ish)-carb for years yet she is in the pre-diabetes stage.

Yes that is exactly what I was saying that having a fairly low carb diet... hardly any starchy carbs... and low fat because of raised cholesterol has not stopped me being prediabetic so if I became type 2 which my doctor says I will at some point how much lower could I go on carbs. I know you can go to low and then feel ill. I am very slim and can't really afford to loose any weight and going lower on the carbs would probably do that
I have been monitoring my glucose levels and on average they in the 6's in the morning.. occasionally over 7.. which usually goes down to the 5's 2 hours after breakfast, it is the same with my evening meal after 2 hours in the 5's and 6's

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Maybird said:
Someone on here recently said a low carb diet is the only way to control BG levels I did object to him saying that as he was more or less saying because it works for him everyone should do it
I am pre-diabetic and have had what would probably be considered a low carb diet for years and don't eat much in the way of starchy foods
This is not because of my prediabetes but something that is normal for me I simply don't like them bread is usually just two slices of toast with whatever I have for breakfast, I hardy ever eat sandwiches and I don't like pasta rice cakes and biscuits I do eat plenty of vegetables and fruit yet I still have above what is considered normal GB levels
I have had a glucose intolerance for years and each year at my yearly blood test my levels go up a bit more hence now prediabetic

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

My highlighting in red

That is nothing like the low carb diets myself and many others follow-apart from berries most fruits are high in fructose and carbs and most shop bought bread is around 20 grams of carb per slice and us low carbers wouldn't entertain eating it.

M

Maybird

Andy12345 said:
chemotherapy dosent always work in curing cancer, that dosent mean that for the vast majority it is extremely effective, i dont think there has ever been a single treatment for anything that has worked for absolutely everyone, i am an advocate of low carbing but if someone tried it and it wasnt effective then they should seek a different route, i believe for the vast vast majority it would be effective, what i dont understand is people damning it before they have tried it

No I am not knocking low carbs seeing as I practically do that anyway, yes obviously it does work for many people.
My point is how could I lower my BG as I do low carbs in not eating starchy foods already. I am on the edge of T2 so I don't know how if I do develope T2 I could go any lower certainly not without loosing weight which I certainly do not need to do.

M

Maybird

paul-1976 said:
Maybird said:
Someone on here recently said a low carb diet is the only way to control BG levels I did object to him saying that as he was more or less saying because it works for him everyone should do it
I am pre-diabetic and have had what would probably be considered a low carb diet for years and don't eat much in the way of starchy foods
This is not because of my prediabetes but something that is normal for me I simply don't like them bread is usually just two slices of toast with whatever I have for breakfast, I hardy ever eat sandwiches and I don't like pasta rice cakes and biscuits I do eat plenty of vegetables and fruit yet I still have above what is considered normal GB levels
I have had a glucose intolerance for years and each year at my yearly blood test my levels go up a bit more hence now prediabetic

My highlighting in red

That is nothing like the low carb diets myself and many others follow-apart from berries most fruits are high in fructose and carbs and most shop bought bread is around 20 grams of carb per slice and us low carbers wouldn't entertain eating it.

So what then is a low carb diet as most of what I have read on the forum it is mostly cutting out starchy carbs The bread I eat is Bergens linseed and soya

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
2 slices of Bergen bread is near enough 25 grams of carbs in itself-near enough what I consume in a whole day so far from low carb.

M

Maybird

))Denise(( said:
The OP was talking about two slices of toast. What in two slices of toast is low carb? Personally I can't eat wheat so don't eat bread. Even if I could, I would rather use my daily allowance of carbs on some blueberries.

The toast I have is is Bergens bread recommended by people on this forum. I did not say I am totally low carb just that I hardly eat any starchy ones which I understand are the really bad ones which most of you do not eat

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That's the problem. A low carb diet is open to individual interpretation. My low carb will be different to many others low carb. I think the trick is just to try to reduce carbs to a sustainable amount where you can still enjoy eating and occasional treats. I do admire those who manage to get by on 30g a day but I would find this impossible to sustain.
Mo

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i always wonder what i would have done had i not started from such an unhealthy place and extremely high carb high everything diet, i think its easy for folks like me with such a huge room for improvement, when your thin and healthy it must be much harder, not that this helps any, sorry

best of luck

M

Maybird

Andy12345 said:
i always wonder what i would have done had i not started from such an unhealthy place and extremely high carb high everything diet, i think its easy for folks like me with such a huge room for improvement, when your thin and healthy it must be much harder, not that this helps any, sorry

best of luck
Thanks you it is rare for anyone to mention skinnies on this forum most of what we hear is from people just diagnosed who need to loose weight so low carbs must be great for them but we don't hear much about the skinny people and what diet would suit them. A very low carbs diet could lead to weight loss that they don't need so how can they control their BG but no one seems to have an answer to that.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2, 70 years old, 5 foot tall ,weigh 43.5 K
To put things very simply if you want to lose weight eat less ,if you want to gain weight eat more Oh if only it was all so simple !
I try to eat lots of calories but reduced carbs because my HbA1C is around 7 I would like it lower but trying to get the balance right is very difficult .We are all complex beings and what works for some will not always work for others .If we keep testing and weighing maybe we will keep ourselves as fit as possible with this crazy DB
CAROL

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybird said:
Yes that is exactly what I was saying that having a fairly low carb diet... hardly any starchy carbs... and low fat because of raised cholesterol has not stopped me being prediabetic so if I became type 2 which my doctor says I will at some point how much lower could I go on carbs.

You could lose the bread and fruit and increase oils and fats to maintain calorie intake.

If you're eating low carb the fat you eat is used to provide energy and in general the blood lipid profile improve.

You say low carb and low fat, which leaves high protein and the excess protein may be part of your BG issue.

fatbird

PhilT said:
Maybird said:
Yes that is exactly what I was saying that having a fairly low carb diet... hardly any starchy carbs... and low fat because of raised cholesterol has not stopped me being prediabetic so if I became type 2 which my doctor says I will at some point how much lower could I go on carbs.

You could lose the bread and fruit and increase oils and fats to maintain calorie intake.

If you're eating low carb the fat you eat is used to provide energy and in general the blood lipid profile improve.

You say low carb and low fat, which leaves high protein and the excess protein may be part of your BG issue.

:thumbup:

FB

M

Maybird

carty said:
I am a skinny type 2, 70 years old, 5 foot tall ,weigh 43.5 K
To put things very simply if you want to lose weight eat less ,if you want to gain weight eat more Oh if only it was all so simple !
I try to eat lots of calories but reduced carbs because my HbA1C is around 7 I would like it lower but trying to get the balance right is very difficult .We are all complex beings and what works for some will not always work for others .If we keep testing and weighing maybe we will keep ourselves as fit as possible with this crazy DB
CAROL

Yes I agree if only it was that easy. I would love to put on a bit of weight but I think that would mean eating far bigger portions of fats and carbs than I do now. I am sure that would put on some weight but would would be really bad for my BG and put my cholesterol through the roof..I already take statins for that

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the GP told me that high cholesterol and high bs often go together. If your bs was lowered maybe your cholesterol would too. that's what I am hoping when I have my restest.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what I meant to say is that even if you increase your fat intake maybe the cholesterol will lower with the bs which will be reduced with the low carbs - does that make sense!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
on low carb and high fat diet my chol went down dramatically before and after statins, it definatly lowered mine

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience is that going lchf halved my cholesterol levels, reduced my BG to near non diabetic levels and helped me get my weight back down to where it needed to be. Currently eating under 35g carbs per day and very happy with the lifestyle, no problem with sustainability at all.

Sent from a melting iceberg. help!!!

fatbird

What about cholesterol?

Diabetics are right to be fearful of the risks of heart disease, since rates are many times higher than those of non-diabetics.
Since around 80% of the cholesterol in the body is actually manufactured by the liver and the cells, relatively little comes directly from the diet. Total cholesterol is however now widely recognised as a very poor indicator of heart disease risk.

Far more meaningful are the individual components of total cholesterol, known as high density lipoprotein (HDL) and triglycerides. Trig. / HDL ratio is perhaps the single most significant measure of heart disease risk.
The lower the triglycerides and the higher the HDL, the better.

Insulin and glucose combine to raise triglycerides and lower HDL, which is why a low fat, high carbohydrate diet may actually increase heart disease risk. It’s commonly reported that those on low carb diets have lower cholesterol levels and certainly much improved trig. / HDL ratios.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9427

FB

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat reduced carbs and high fat and my chol has come down from 7.9 at diagnosis of DB to 4.9 and my GP is happy with that
CAROL

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mo1905 said:
That's the problem. A low carb diet is open to individual interpretation. My low carb will be different to many others low carb. I think the trick is just to try to reduce carbs to a sustainable amount where you can still enjoy eating and occasional treats. I do admire those who manage to get by on 30g a day but I would find this impossible to sustain.
Mo

I bought my own meter and strips and found out just what I can safely tolerate in any meal. For me (and I stress this is for me) I cannot eat more than 25 grams of carbs in any meal and still be below 6 two hours after the meal.

You have to eat to your meter...