Hypo Onset Speed

sw11bloke

hmm Hale
i cant but help think that you should get a second opinion from another consultant. If it was me, Id get a 2nd opinion.
Ive researched diabetes for more than 10 years and I must say... im not understanding your situation and treatment. A Cpeptide test would tell you if you LADA which by the sound of things.... maybe you are.

Hope you get sorted fella

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a consultant, a registrar, my GP and 2 separate DSNs. We're all in agreement with my care so far. I know many on here have little respect for the hcps they've seen and the advice they're given, but I think mine are fantastic and I've always felt fully supported by them.

I know the c peptide test would tell me of I'm LADA, but it wouldn't really affect my treatment or care. So I'm not sure I see a benefit in the test!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hale710 said:
10.00pm, bed time. Tested BG and 4.8, a touch low so I had a Jaffacake (9g). Brushed teeth, sorted dog, Usual things.
10.20pm, getting into bed. Felt extremely anxious which is a common hypo symptom for me. Thought there's no way I'm hypo as I just tested and was fine. Retested anyway, BG 2.6!

The trouble is if you were on your way to a hypo (as you obviously were) the Jaffacake would have been too slow-acting due to the chocolate content.

I think if it's a one-off then there's no need to make adjustments to your insulin, if it happens again then go ahead. There's so many variables we have to take into consideration when we inject insulin and you still being in the honeymoon period Hale only complicates matters further.

I occasionally forget to check my bg before brushing my teeth only to find that I'm in the low 4's, flaming annoying as you have to brush them all over again after eating a snack :roll:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't think I was on the way to hypo at 4.8, I felt fine and was just doing the standard pre bed check!

I hate that feeling as you're brushing your teeth! Although I had the dentist on Monday and have maintained my no filling record! 24 years now! So no dental issues yet :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wish I could say the same about fillings :roll:

Not saying it happens all the time but sometimes you get a feeling when bg is dropping too fast, hard to explain but I get a sudden hunger feeling even though my bg can be in the low 5's/high 4's, this morning two and half hours post-breakfast I had this feeling and checked bg and it was 4.4 so had a ripe fun-size banana, I was 5.6 pre-prandial so needed that snack.

Frustrating as you can eat and inject the same for weeks and have no problems then low and behold....

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep just catches you out when you least expect it!

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I remember during my honeymoon period I needed tiny amounts of basal insulin and was having hypos left right and centre due to novorapid...my gp suggested I stop taking my basal but the idea freaked me out so I checked with my hospital team (much more knowledgeable about T1D in my opinion) and they said it was worst possible thing for me to do. It was a while ago now but I think I just took slightly less at meal times which stopped most of hypos. I knew v. quickly when honeymoon was over as my insulin need increased rapidly. Best of luck with it all.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hale, did you take a basal dose just before you dropped? I had a similar experience last night and I think I might have hit a blood vessel with my basal dose, my BG dropped like a stone from 7.8 to 2.1 within 10 mins of taking my basal insulin.