Diabetes is serious take control now

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you suggesting then that all diabetics have been addicted to carbs? I certainly was unhappy when I was monitoring and worrying about my bg's too much and at last appt with consultant.... Since relaxing and moderating how much I was doing this I was told I was their best patient.....but smokers, drinkers and gamblers etc are all addicts.....

How can diabetics that care for their health by being living moderately the vast majority of their D life's (mine nigh on 30 years) be compared to an addict? I am not saying to stop everything for a day.....and go back to drugs, alchohol etc, but just relax for a day.... Or for any special occasion..

But mostly my concern is the ever increasing statistics of more diabetics, and of course the inxreasing qty of persons that are dying from diabetes, but I am pretty much certain that if the percentages were worked out that the actual percentages are lowering.

We all die of something... At some point.. Thats living..i'd rather die happy knowing that I've had a few excesses in my moderate living life.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Carbdodger said:
*sighs*
Would you suggest to an ex-smoker they have aday off from not smoking? Or that a recovering drug addict has a break from being clean for a day?
Cd

If you and Andy think you are comparable to a smoker, or drug addict because you were addicted to carbs, I certainly wouldn't class every diabetic as the same.
I don't know what you used to eat, maybe you personally were, in which case cold turkey may be the best option for you.
I personally wasn't, but I certainly ate excesses of all food types. And carbs where high on the list, bread, doughnuts, biscuits.....
I improved by reducing all the food types I ate, and changing the way I ate, as well as which carbs I ate.
So now I eat a reasonable amount of carbs that don't upset my bs, and no, I am not terrified that I'll eat one mouthful of dreaded carb, then rush out and buy a bag of jam doughnuts and a packet of chocolate digestives.

Christmas, yes, it'll be another normal day, not a day off.
But it'll be a normal Christmas day, not a normal wet Wednesday in December.
Will I eat more, yes, of course I will.
Will I drink, yes, of course I will.
I'll have very small amounts of the Xmas pud, the cake, more if it's the low GI alternatives I'll be making, I'll still have Xmas dinner, but it won't have the potatoes, or the Yorkshire puddings, like I normally don't now, and life will carry on.
I'll check with my meter, but I'm going to enjoy myself first, and worry second either way.
And I'm certain I won't become re-addicted to anything at the end of it.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Carbdodger said:
*sighs*
Would you suggest to an ex-smoker they have aday off from not smoking? Or that a recovering drug addict has a break from being clean for a day?
Cd

I don't know if the sigh is intended as patronising and holier than thou. It is the way it comes across and I have to go away for an hour and edit out all the expletives before I can give the rest of the post time of day. :silent:

However. As an ex smoker I wouldn't smoke a ciggie. As an ex heavy drinker I will be having a drink on Christmas day (notice the "a"). So that will be one I stay clean from and one I don't

I will also be eating a little more than I normally do (notice the "little"). I will also be of for an extra parkrun to work a little of the lard off. So the food addiction will be rewarded for a day but so will the exercise addiction.

Wanders off to wallow in the detritus of his life caused by becoming re addicted to excess for a day :lol:

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fatbird said:
Dillinger said:
I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch yesterday, but I still remember what the doctor who oversaw my admittance to hospital said when I was diagnosed over 30 years ago; you have a choice - either you control diabetes or it will control you.

Those increases are pretty amazing; what has happened since 2006 to cause that?

Best

Dillinger

Diabetes never sleeps-it never has a day off. It is our enemy-but we can beat our enemy-with constant vigilance. A diabetic can live with the condition for 50-60-70 and more years-this has been proved. The key is running blood glucose numbers as close to non diabetic as possible. This has also been proved.

For every percentage point drop in A1C blood test results (from 8.0 percent to 7.0 percent, for example), the risk of diabetic eye, nerve, and kidney disease is reduced by 40 percent. Lowering blood sugar reduces these microvascular complications in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Intensive blood sugar control in people with type 1 diabetes (average A1C of 7.4%) reduces the risk of any CVD event by 42 percent and the risk of heart attack, stroke, or death from CVD by 57 percent.

Source: DCCT/EDIC, reported in December 22, 2005, issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

FB

and yet they won't give me a meter and strips on prescription to control my blood glucose levels with... :***: :thumbdown: :cry:

all they gave me was a diet sheet pushing the NHS Heart-Healthy Low-Fat Eatwell Plate and a day on a DESMOND course...

All my success in my control has been since I took matters into my OWN hands and got my own meter and started working out what I could get away with and still be under 6.0 two hours afterwards... It was the low carbing advice in this forum and also the advice on Jenny Ruhl's Diabetes 101 website that gave me the toolkit to control my diabetes.

When I had my annual check up back in April, some 12 months after diangosis, I was lauded for my weight loss and my HbA1C but my diet was condemned as being dangerous and not a good long term diet. Doctor still wouldn't give me a meter and strips under prescription either even though it was obviously working and I knew what to do with the results.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TuTusweet said:
<<<So why is it that so many on here want to take a break from looking after themselves because it is Xmas, a birthday, a bad day, name another reason.>>>
[...]

Life kills you eventually. I am taking the business seriously but at my age I am Bu**ered if I intend to become a raving hypochondriac. Sorry.

I'm taking it seriously because I want to dance with my granddaughter at her wedding and also to be able to see my first great grandchild...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I believe If you take diabetes too serious you end up having high blood pressure, stress, worry and irritable bowel possibly as well and could end up with imbalances in your stomach and bowel..
We are constantly being told about different diets etc.... BUT THERE HAS NOT BEEN ENOUGH RESEARCH into the outcomes of these diets on a longterm basis (30 years plus) on our bodies, stomachs, immune systems etc...

I too will continue on my moderstion lifestyle... As that is not a diet.... Its sustainable and I can moderate my excessess and certainly not a carb addict or restricter and always been slim..

Carbdodger

There is an assumption that I was addicted to carbs! Not so the reason I believe they are best avoided in high doses (for me that is no more than 30g a day) is that they are no more than glucose in disguise and will elevate blood sugars when over consumed. It is rather presumptuous for folks here to decide what my addictions are/were I think.
My point is not that eating carbs will trigger an onset of addiction but rather high BS levels will trigger all sorts of complications so best to low carb.
Cd

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was first diagnosed, I was scared to change my fixed diet composition as prescribed by my doctor. I refused to visit my family and stayed at home. I had a thoroughly miserable Christmas, and missed an opportunity to see my grandchildren at that stage in their lives. I'll never get that Christmas back. As it is, this will be my 9th Christmas since my official diagnosis, I still have all my faculties, still have a good HbA1c . I think that sharing festivities with others is an important part of mental well being. Loneliness can be as deadly as diabetes! http://www.livescience.com/18800-loneli ... blems.html

Diabetes UK was quite rightly drawing to the publics or more importantly policy makers attention that diabetes can have serious consequences.
The data (from the diabetes audit) show that some areas have many people who don't get the care they need and these people develop complications at far higher rates than others. Take amputations as an example: People living in the most deprived fifth of areas were over 80 per cent more likely to have had an amputation than those in the least deprived fifth of areas. It says something about health inequalities in the UK but the statistic shouldn't be waved like a big stick at people who are already being proactive.

When looking at the data, you also need to be aware of the increase in diagnosed diabetes over the period. It actually increased from 1,900,000 to 2,500,000 an increase of almost a third.
The report suggests that 50% of newly diagnosed T2s already have complications .

The EDIC/DCCT report mentioned earlier is really only relevant to T1 but It shows very clearly that a reduction in HbA1c to below 7% reduces complication risks but that below that point the benefits from further reductions are much smaller.
The study also showed that for people with T1 that levels below this were associated with a higher risk of severe hypoglycaemia.
(and since, surprise, surprise, diet has come up again; subsequent analyses in that study have also looked at diet and complications in that cohort; carbohydrate doesn't seem to be the villain here, indeed fat was positively associated with higher HbA1c and retinopathy in this trial)
retinopathy
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/496168_4
edit to add another link for those that aren't registered on Medscape
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1681380/

Attachments

• dcct risk+ hypo.JPG
    dcct risk+ hypo.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 490

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Was that study written on April the 1st? Carbs not the villain in increased HbA1c and complications but fat IS??? :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Paul, the data was from the DCCT. It was retrospective so can only suggest not prove. The results were similar for the HbA1c study. It is certainly no joke.
Take it as you will.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just cause people don't low carb, doesn't automatically mean people have higher hba1c, post prandual spikes, or eat what they want/enjoy to excess. Simply eat a healthy diet. Alongside with good cholesterol levels, healthy bmi etc etc.
anyway, starting to cover the same old ground now.
Whatever your diets, hope you all have a merry christmas , not long now :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
douglas99 said:
Carbdodger said:
*sighs*
Cd

If you and Andy think you are comparable to a smoker, or drug addict because you were addicted to carbs, I certainly wouldn't class every diabetic as the same.
I don't know what you used to eat, maybe you personally were, in which case cold turkey may be the best option for you.
I personally wasn't, but I certainly ate excesses of all food types. And carbs where high on the list, bread, doughnuts, biscuits.....
I improved by reducing all the food types I ate, and changing the way I ate, as well as which carbs I ate.
So now I eat a reasonable amount of carbs that don't upset my bs, and no, I am not terrified that I'll eat one mouthful of dreaded carb, then rush out and buy a bag of jam doughnuts and a packet of chocolate digestives.

Christmas, yes, it'll be another normal day, not a day off.
But it'll be a normal Christmas day, not a normal wet Wednesday in December.
Will I eat more, yes, of course I will.
Will I drink, yes, of course I will.
I'll have very small amounts of the Xmas pud, the cake, more if it's the low GI alternatives I'll be making, I'll still have Xmas dinner, but it won't have the potatoes, or the Yorkshire puddings, like I normally don't now, and life will carry on.
I'll check with my meter, but I'm going to enjoy myself first, and worry second either way.
And I'm certain I won't become re-addicted to anything at the end of it.

i know nothing about anyone else and this isnt meant to be offensive, i have been addicted to cigarettes, drugs and gambling in my life (i left the alcohol addiction to every one else in my family) and i can say that in my opinion the feelings of wanting to eat bread as i walk past the bread isle in asda or driving past mcdonalds at 6am on a cold morning imagining that mcmuffin is a similar feeling, so in my humble opinion i have been addicted to bad food my whole life and im now cold turkey or carb sober if you like, addiction dosent have to be physical (gambling for instance) i may not have been medically dependant but was very much dependant in my mind, i must have been, i knew the takeaways were bad for me and i still ate them, same goes for the copius amounts of chocolate etc. it is the reason i dont cheat very much because i feel i could slip back into it easily, and i now believe carbs to be far more dangerous to my health than the cigarettes and drugs ever were, (this is my opinion, right or wrong) i suppose it depends on your definition of addiction, i am not being judgemental about other peoples dietary choices, im in no position to do so (obviously after this post) i agree with the OP and i am trying to take control the best way i know how

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Nothing offensive there Andy, it is about you. You're not trying to impose that on others just stating what works for you.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The study also showed that for people with T1 that levels below this(7%) were associated with a higher risk of severe hypoglycaemia.

Lets not confuse this with a low carb diet were the opposite has been shown, Ron Raab is a type one who low carbs you can read the story about his conversion to LC.

In summary, less carbohydrate requires less insulin, and the result is more predictability and less variation in blood glucose levels

http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/articl ... depth.html

(and since, surprise, surprise, diet has come up again; subsequent analyses in that study have also looked at diet and complications in that cohort; carbohydrate doesn't seem to be the villain here, indeed fat was positively associated with higher HbA1c and retinopathy in this trial)

Even those on the higher fat diet were on around 45% carbs so can't be compared to LCHF diet, I'm a type two but despite the fat I lowered my HbA1c and got off the glic since changing to LC.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
tonyS54 said:
Even those on the higher fat diet were on around 45% carbs so can't be compared to LCHF diet

Exactly Tony! :thumbup: I don't know of ANY true low carbers that consume 45% of carbs as part of their daily dietary intake(Unless they're on a starvation diet :thumbdown: ) and whatever the source or study-less carbs=less insulin required(Natural or injected)...Simples! Any more than 30 grams of carbs a day and I'd have to add a Bolus insulin to my regime which would mean at least 3 extra injections a day just to eat more starch! :shock: Study or no study those extra carbs aint worth it to me!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diet aside the one thing that unites us all on the forum is that we strive to control our diabetes to the best we can, in other words we are all pro-active in our diabetes management and certainly take it seriously.

So it's fair to say we all want longevity with minimal health problems, hopefully by staying pro-active some of us will achieve that. Therefore, whether someone eats 10, 20, 30, 50, 100, 150, 200 or 300g of carbs a day is irrelevant, wants more important is that they are controlling their diabetes and keeping bp, weight and cholesterol under control....end of :thumbup:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For accuracy only,
quintiles carbs in DCCT .
Total available carbohydrate (% of energy) 34 (0.2) 38 (0.2) 41 (0.2) 44 (0.2) 49 (0.2) http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/2/518.full#T1
This is the only long term evidence that covers more than 10 years it is not some trivial study.
Paul,
I'm very clear on what you do but others may wish to find out more to make their own decisions, just as you I did, and as I did. That's why I give references.
I also have very good results so far (almost 9 years). However as I said, you have to decide for yourself. Just as you have done in the past.
What I don't do though is to laugh, distort and make fun at what others say as you seemed to do here and I would also say are complicit of as an active 'member' of another blog. I find it both hurtful and hateful.
(and no I won't read the latest instalment but it concerns what I wrote on this thread and unfortunately another person made me aware of it, I've no doubt there will be hilarity and more derision at my response here)
And I apologise to others for this outburst, I was just so upset.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
phoenix said:
For accuracy only,
quintiles carbs in DCCT .
Total available carbohydrate (% of energy) 34 (0.2) 38 (0.2) 41 (0.2) 44 (0.2) 49 (0.2) http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/2/518.full#T1
This is the only long term evidence that covers more than 10 years it is not some trivial study.
Paul,
I'm very clear on what you do but others may wish to find out more to make their own decisions, just as you I did, and as I did. That's why I give references.
I also have very good results so far (almost 9 years). However as I said, you have to decide for yourself. Just as you have done in the past.
What I don't do though is to laugh, distort and make fun at what others say as you seemed to do here and I would also say are complicit of as an active 'member' of another blog. I find it both hurtful and hateful.
(and no I won't read the latest instalment but it concerns what I wrote on this thread and unfortunately another person made me aware of it, I've no doubt there will be hilarity and more derision at my response here)
And I apologise to others for this outburst, I was just so upset.

Phoenix,I've NEVER once made a comment about you anywhere else so I'm REALLY confused by what you are implying here-Right or wrong I've ALWAYS posted on the web as Paul1976 or Paul or Tubsolard and even then I never made no secret of my identity and earlier on this thread-yeah I didn't agree with the conclusions of the study you posted-My right to disagree with you in a forum surely? I have the right to be a member of any forum or blog I choose or are you saying that I can't be a member of anywhere that has history with you despite it being before my time-I live in the present and treat as I find...as for hatred...well I've seen plenty of that aimed at me on blogs by people to cowardly to even give a forum name. :thumbdown: