Lows during exams

JoPotterhead

I get quite nervous when it comes to exams, especially now it is the finals for me and it is my first major IGCSE exams outside school. Now, I usually have lows during exams which is probably because of being nervous, so can anybody instruct me on what to do?
Thanks!
N.B I usually eat a cereal bar before I enter the exam venue but it doesn't always work with me

A

Anonymous

JoPotterhead said:
I get quite nervous when it comes to exams, especially now it is the finals for me and it is my first major IGCSE exams outside school. Now, I usually have lows during exams which is probably because of being nervous, so can anybody instruct me on what to do?
Thanks!
N.B I usually eat a cereal bar before I enter the exam venue but it doesn't always work with me

Maybe you could take a few pieces of 'quiet' fruit in and munch on them during the exam. Or perhaps a bottle of lucodaze? You could even scribble some 'cribs' inside a banana skin. :D

JoPotterhead

Well, during the exams my time is pretty limited and I am too nervous to even drink for fear of losing time, thought the 'quiet' fruit thing can be quite helpful :D Thank you!

donnamum

My daughter is just taking her options. I have been advised to register her to take exams away front main group. So instead of sitting an exam from say 9to 12. She will be in a Room with a stop watch. the envidulator can stop time if she needs to do blood glucose or eat.

She wasn't keen but it's the best way forward, especially incase of hypo.

Good luck

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would say that in any exams, the invigilator need to know if there is a diabetic present. I've invigilated HUNDREDS of exams in a long teaching career and NOT ONCE had any problems with diabetes[or any other health issues :) ]. I did have a scary experience when my co-invigilator and one of the candidates were both 8 1/2 months pregnant! Still nothing untowards happened. I've known of the presence of people with diabetess and of people with epilepsy.
Still everything has always gone smoothly from health points of view.
From the point of view of the candidate, I would say, make sure your emergency precautions are in place. Knowing they are should give you the confidence to avoid problems. Don't pile up on blood glucose, Too high might impair your thinking.
Keep as much as possible to yyour normal routine.
Hana

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
I had an exam today, I'm in college doing horse care, so my exam involved riding, so what i do anyway when I'm on the yard in college, non stop moving around and exercising the horses, i carry the Original lucozade tablets, they are brilliant! So i eat one here and there, today before my exam i ate 3, they're so helpful! You could have them with you during the exam too, there also tasty :D haha, hope this helps :) they really are helpful!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Make sure the persom who is organising the exams knows your situation and supply yourself with glucose in some form or other.
Check your bg a couple of hours before you start. That gives you time to get your level right.
Hana