Advice ASAP

LittleFragge

I need some advice, I don't like causing a problem, I have been ill since monday with a very bad cold and being very chesty. My sugars are reading HI on the meter, I have large amounts of ketones in my urine and no matter how much insulin I have, I can't get it down. I have drunk so much, and had a few tummy pains but not constant. What advice would you give me?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get to A&E pronto. This needs to be under control fast!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, HI levels, keytones and stomach pains mean you are ill, get to A&E.

Best wishes
Angie

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if it's normal or not, but this isn't something you want to muck around with

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have keytones things can deteriorate quite quickly as many on here could tell you. What level are your keytones at, do you know?

Please call 111 if you don't want to go to A&E and ask their advice, but personally I would head off and get sorted rather than wait it out and maybe end up calling an ambulance and being admitted.

Please seek assistance, we are not medical folks on here and can't diagnose anything.

Angie

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes that can be the case.. Still feeling ok but I really would advise either doubling up your correction bolus's or going to A&E... Trouble is we are now on weekend... Even if you are admitted you are unlikely to receive dedicated, good treatment.

Hi means you are so off the scale with your bg's that you need medical assistance....

Drink plenty of water.. And I would be doubling my correction boluses too!! And my basal injection...

LittleFragge

The ketones are are the furthest end +++, so I have took extra insulin, I am drinking lots anyway, I will monitor through the night, if symptoms get worse or its no better I will go to A and E, thank you for all your advice x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seriously, if they hasn't come down after your correction within 2~3 hours, get to a and e. Hi levels with ketones can lead to a diabetic coma, get well soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, go to A&E quickly if no improvement. Meanwhile drinks lots of water and keep the carbs way down.

Michelle995

Hi LittleFragge,

Just hoping you are ok this morning and that you made it to A and E. Seriously, all of the symptoms you were showing meant you needed urgent treatment. Hope you managed to sort it out. :wave:

LittleFragge

Thank you for all your support and concern, I have managed to get my ketones down to one +, my sugars are staying in the 20's and I haven't really had any tummy pains, so I am still monitoring as I think I might be sorting it x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad the ketones have reduced, but you're not out of the woods yet. I would still suggest a trip to a&e as they've been present for some time now

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you still in your 20's despite doubling corrections and increasing basals then you are still way, way to high for a long while now.....

You need to get an emergency appt with somebody...

LittleFragge

Hi All, just to let you know, I ended up in A and E on.sunday, had an infection, ao went on a sliding scale, iv anyibiots etc, its all coming under control now. Thank you for all you advice and aupport x

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad you're on the mend and decided a and e was best :)