How long did it take for people to get the pump?

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told back in July that I would now be offered the pump as my bloodsugars are being all over the place :/

I went to a pump talk and then saw the diabetic consultant in October who told me that I would hear back from the diabetic team 'soon'.

I just want to know how long did it take for people to get their diabetic pumps as I am unfortunately getting a tad fed up of having to wait so long. I was hoping to get my pump before the start of the New Year but I don't see that happening -_- typical NHS!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't remember exactly but was about 6 months approx from being told I could have one to the time I got one. half the battle is getting approved for one.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ssmith20125

Hi, I have been a diabetic for 30 years and was approved for pump in June 13 and had now since Sept 13. I had to do DAFNE course first before I could be approved.

Nimster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think i have the most confusing diabetic team in the whole of the UK as well...I was told that a doctor would be organising for me to be entitled to the pump, then got told it was the nurses who sorted it out, then doctors, nurses etc...

I did ask my GP if I could change hospitals but they didn't listen to me. Next year I shall be moving away from London so hopefully i'll find a better diabetic team.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Sounds like my hospital.. I was approved in february.. theyve just ..ie 3 weeks agfo actually applied for funding from the CCG. Ive been hanging on by my fingernails waiting for info. I have had to keep on asking whats going on for near on 9 months now and I have still not even been given a start date.
My DSN is great as a person but I dont think the hospital trust gives her and her team the support she deserves and I will be changing clinics once everything is finally up and running.
Your GP cannot refuse to refer you to another clinic and you do not have to give him.'her your reasons for doing so.
Have a word with the people at INPUT if you need more help and detail ( http://www.input.me.uk/ )
It will all get sorted for you but it can be a long and frustrating journey for some of us it would seem :(

simking

I was approved in July '13' but wanted to have a think about my decision to proceed. I decided to go ahead with the pump in oct and will be gettin my medtronic pump on 9/12/13. I would hounding your diabetic team. I hope you get a positive response soon. [PERSON WITH FOLDED HANDS]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump[ was first mentioned to me about 5 years ago but I didn't really follow it through, not sure that it was for me etc. Then I ran into trouble control wise and my dsn mentioned the pump again and wouldn't let it drop. That was during the summer this year - I'm getting mine fitted today. Although it shouldn't, where you live definitely has an impact. For instance, there are no clinics that run DAFNE courses near me so I don't have to attend one until there's one set up in my area, but I was approved for a pump without this.

Keep pushing for one but also check the NICE guidelines to make sure you are eligible.

Good luck!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I asked my consultant for a pump in mid-March 2013, met with the pump clinic in mid-April 2013. Received funding approval at the start of June and had the pump fitted at the next available clinic, which was 4 weeks later at the start of July.

From asking to receiving... 3.5 months.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App