Tears of happiness

WhitbyJet

There cant be many more people happier than I am.

1. My poorly Dad is getting better, he is eating and this morning managed to take a few steps to the bathroom and back.

2. I lost one of my best friends in August, she was widowed, Mum to two beautiful children, a girl 10yrs and a boy 4yrs old. Only family are elderly grandparents, my husband and I applied to become foster parents with a view towards adoption. Things have been difficult, the children were going through all the stages of the grieving process, the girl suffered panic attacks, the boy started to wet the bed. Lots of talking, reassurance, cuddles and hugs, lots of contact with their ever so loving grandparents, frequent spot checks by Social Services, things have finally settled.
A couple of weeks ago the children came home from school fearfully asking what is going to happen to the boy when his sister is 17. Turns out a rather insensitive woman at the school told them that fostering finishes when a child reaches 17th birthday. We assured the children that we will be there for them for as long as they want us to be there, more tears and cuddles. Then came the best news of all, we have passed all the tests, an adoption hearing has been set for end of January, we had a little celebration. Next day the boy was practically skipping into school, telling everyone that he is going to have a 'forever Mummy and Daddy and that he and his sister are not going to be thrown away when they are 17', there wasn't a dry eye around anywhere.

3. With all that stress and things, my latest Hb1ac result = 32.

I wish you all happiness in your lives
Merry Chrstmas
x x

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
As they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

All the best ♥

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
That is so wonderful

My children would have no family if anything happened to us. (2 only children shouldn't get married!) My husbands parents are 75 and 92.
My parents are both dead (although I like to pretend my mother is lost in Marks and Spencers)

We fostered for a while and all social workers are mad, so well done to you for jumping through the hoops.

I can only hope one of our friends would do the same for us.

Your post brought a genuine lump to my throat and that was without me even thinking about your Dad so great news all round.

Cara x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What a hesrtwarming post to read. So pleased and happy for all.:D

RRB

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
That is fantastic. I always thought you were pretty amazing with all your fab low carb receipes and advice, now I just think your wonderwoman! My friends went through all the hoop jumping to become foster parents, I think anyone that manages to get through that process without being put off is amazing.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

:)

K

Kat100

That is really lovely whitbyjet and very touching, wishing you all a very happy Christmas and many happy forever futures together with your lovely family .....Kat x

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Brilliant news. I wish you all the best.

And only some Social Workers are mad. My partner is one, we fostered for a while too.

C

catherinecherub

So pleased with your news WJ
I had a pact with my best friend after my husband died and she was going to take on my children if anything happened to me. Sadly she died but her husband has been coping very well with the help of his sister..

Some grown ups do not stop and think before they say hurtful things to kids. :thumbdown:

You might like to let the children know that foster children may stay with carers until aged 21.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25201336

I hope everything works out well with the adoption as you are doing a marvellous job.

CC.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very glad to hear your news, congratulations! Best wishes for a very happy Christmas :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is good news :thumbup:

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so pleased for you Whitbyjet and I wish you and your little family all the very best for the future. You are a very special person to have done that for a good friend and now these two dear children have a wonderful future.

I also appreciate all of your lovely recipes too and all the hard work you must put in.

Good luck!

WhitbyJet

Thank you all so much for your nice comments.
I was worried that my diabetes status would ban me from fostering or adopting, but this is not the case, we had to provide medical reports and spot checks, but kind of got used to all that, I am not the most organised person, but SWs dont worry about a pile of ironing, etc. Another thing in our favour is that the children genuinely want to be with us, we have also kind of adopted the grandparents, they live in sheltered housing, we have made room for them in our home, they often come to stay, they are lovely, kind people.
I heard on the news today that children can stay with foster carers until they are 21, but hopefully all goes straight forward at the adoption hearing, we want to be 'forever Mummy and Daddy', one day 'forever grandma and grandad'.

Each night we look up to see stars because we know that Roz is looking down on us through one of the stars, they are windows to heaven arent they......she was such a good friend to me, I had to try and help those children, I will give it my best to be a good 'forever Mummy'.

Just in case anyone is worried, the children dont eat low carb, they eat a balanced diet :)

imalittlefishy

That's great news WhitbyJet and put a smile on my face :) When I was a kid, my parents ended up fostering the daughter of one of their closest friends - dad and daughter lived with us for several years, but he often went off travelling and when she got to a certain age she wanted to stay at home. My mum to this day still isn't sure if she should have been flattered or offended by the social worker who told her "Well it's all very chaotic around here, but it's easy to see that all five of them are loved." Absolutely hats off to you, the benefits the children will get from being in a stable and loving home even after everything that has happened to them is priceless.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the midst of so much bad news, it's really good to hear of something like this and I wish you and your family nothing but the best for the years to come.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is fantastic news. I'm very very happy for you all. You are an astounding person and I wish you and your family all of the very best.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
WhitbyJet, that is one of the most heart warming stories
I've read in a while, thank you for sharing it with us all.

In this world with such horrible events going on,
your story, is a timely reminder that goodness
and love is still happening around us.

Amen to that.

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

God bless.

willie. x