Cold weather - like blood from a stone

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone else having trouble getting blood in this cold weather?

Anyone have any tips?

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If washing hands thoroughly in warm water does not work try increasing the depth of the lancet.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given a tip years ago to squeeze firmly but gently On the first finger joint for a few seconds. It works well for me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

M

Maybird

ElyDave said:
Anyone else having trouble getting blood in this cold weather?

Anyone have any tips?

I would also say hold your fingers in some warm water for about a minute or so heat should bring the blood to the surface

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hands are always cold, even in the summer. But I'm a gusher anyway ;)

Not helpful at all I know haha

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I just need to go for a run first, normally end up dripping everywhere then.

iHs

In the winter, I always get very cold hands when outside even with gloves on. I tend to use hand warmers inside my pockets and can vouch for Little Hotties as they work a treat and last for about 8-12hrs. They also keep my bg meter ok as it doesn't like the cold

michelereid2002

I have this problem also I'm squeezing the. Living daylights out of my fingers until. They. Hurt but find my fingers have a wee trick its spurts out of the resealed hole like a rocket or u have other sights on your hands you can use good blood hunting

nannyani1

I squeezed my finger the other day and it spurted in my face. My nurse laughed and said to alter my lancet. It could be because i use steroid creams and the skin is thinner. Xx

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
on DAFNE thsi week, they've shamed me into daily lancet changes, seems better so far.

Must admit the other one that work for me is a double penetration :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ElyDave said:
on DAFNE thsi week, they've shamed me into daily lancet changes, seems better so far.

Must admit the other one that work for me is a double penetration :D

Haha! I change mine daily, I get less bruising that way

With Reynolds disease (white fingers) it's even more fun...

My finger tips are too sensitive and i use my third (bottom) phalange to test. It's fatter and easier to squeeze. Although lik others when it's too cold i also use the deeper settings and double puncture hen desperate.

I find the bottom of the finger is a lot less painful, but have never seen it mentioned anywhere as test site.

We share your pain(s)