How low is too Low for your HBA1C

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can't win, can you? I'm going to keep my HbA1c below 6.5% because I'd rather keep my eyesight, kidneys, feet etc than my driving licence.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good thing I live on a street with excellent bus connections ;)

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
SamJB said:
Can't win, can you? I'm going to keep my HbA1c below 6.5% because I'd rather keep my eyesight, kidneys, feet etc than my driving licence.

Still waiting for the ' like' button.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
qbix said:
I recently had it taken again at the hospital and it was 41. Great. Or so I thought...

The diabetes doctor told me that I had to try and bring it up to about 50. Does this sound right to you? I am now starting to question my diagnosis, is it correct?

It is well within the recommended limit for those considered to be at risk of hypos and whilst high for most people, including type 2 diabetics, 50 is still below the NHS recommended upper limit of 59. It is unfortunately a compromise between having high glucose levels and being in danger of a hypo.

In otherwise healthy people, the recommendations are 20 - 41. In type 2 diabetics, 48 is considered good control, though for the life in me I can't see why they don't encourage type 2's to try to get below 41. Type 1s with their different regime and medication have to play it safe somewhat. The upper limit is 59.

I'm not type 1 but it does strike me as too much of a generalisation because it seems to be an average of different levels of active lifestyles. Retired people, sporty people, HGV drivers etc all surely would require different 'safety' margins?

qbix

Your dead on there yorksman. I am a software developer and as a consequence don't do anything active during the day at all other than sit and type. I guess I'll see what happens once my honeymoon period has ended

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yorksman said:
I'm not type 1 but it does strike me as too much of a generalisation because it seems to be an average of different levels of active lifestyles. Retired people, sporty people, HGV drivers etc all surely would require different 'safety' margins?

That is a good point Yorksman, if someone isn't a driver, works with machinery, has responsibilities for others or isn't particularly sporty then they could aim for lower levels, that is why target bg levels and a1c should be an individual thing.

Anyway I always just see an Hba1c as a rough guide at best, it's the everyday control that is important, the SD feature on most meters gives a good indication how well controlled someone is.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Wouldnt it be wonderful for pharmaceutical companies to have some sort of insulin that couldn't knock us users under the bg of 4.0 parameters!!

I think as we are all so individual that our consultants do set different levels of guidance. What suits one person isn't going to suit another.. Although they still have to try and hit the targets for the NHS and getting us type 1's under the 7.2 hba1c. I actually dont mind my consultant advising me when she says my hba1c's are too low... As I do see more hypo's when they are. I'd rather not lose brain cells through hypo's and risk my licence-and my job and my home from a too low hba1c. Personally I would rather stay at 6.5 to 7.0 .. Especially with the pump because it is a great machine for getting bg's more stable and less fluctuations... And it can be the fluctuations that also contribute to retinopathy..

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just had my results during the DAFNE course, 40 but no hypos this week for me, unlike some of those on the course with much higher HbA1c

qbix

Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. Basically carb counting and adjusting your insulin accordingly. The course is aimed purely at people how are taking insulin. There I'd another course specifically for people with type 2, but I forget its clever acronym

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Main courses for T2 Diabetics
Xpert:suitable for T1 &T2
Xpert Insulin :as Xpert but for Insulin users.
DESMOND (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed)

GeorgieH

Hello all,
Just joined in the hope that someone could help me, as i'm finding this all very confusing.
I have not been diagnosed with diabetes as it stand but was made aware many years ago I was on the verge
I recently had another blood test that ive just got results for online and it seems to have flagged something up,
My results were as follows
DIAGNOSTIC HBA1C
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 31 mmol/mol

I tried to look online and the results seemed within normal range, could someone tell me if it is?
As the reason I'm concerned is a comment has been added to my result stating
"Review the patient's personal risk and treat as 'high diabetes
risk' as clinically indicated."
I will discuss this with my doctor but as its now the weekend I can't do this until next week and was hoping someone could put my mind at rest either way over the weekend.
If it helps I'm a 32 year old female
Many thanks
Georgie

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
Just joined in the hope that someone could help me, as i'm finding this all very confusing.
I have not been diagnosed with diabetes as it stand but was made aware many years ago I was on the verge
I recently had another blood test that ive just got results for online and it seems to have flagged something up,
My results were as follows
DIAGNOSTIC HBA1C
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 31 mmol/mol

I tried to look online and the results seemed within normal range, could someone tell me if it is?
As the reason I'm concerned is a comment has been added to my result stating
"Review the patient's personal risk and treat as 'high diabetes
risk' as clinically indicated."
I will discuss this with my doctor but as its now the weekend I can't do this until next week and was hoping someone could put my mind at rest either way over the weekend.
If it helps I'm a 32 year old female
Many thanks
Georgie
Hi Georgie
yes thats a completely normal HbA1c level. No idea where that comment s coming from unless they have some other data..?
Pre -diabetes is 42-47 mmol/mol
T2 is 48mmol/mol or more