Healthy BS OR cholesterol....what a choice

L

Luna21

I got my 6 monthly results yesterday and my HbA1c is 40 mmol, which I'm pleased with, however my cholesterol has gone up to 4.9 which obviously I'm not too happy with. That's a rise of 1.6 I think.

I am substituting protein, and some 'healthy' fats, ie more chicken in my diet to compensate for less carbs, so this must be the cause. I use olive oil for cooking, but sparingly. I don't eat much red meat, although I do eat cheese.

I'm rather disappointed about my cholesterol going up as many on here who follow low carb diets seem to be able to eat more fats and still keep their cholesterol low. My weight is well below target now, and I can't afford to lose any more, so what on earth am I supposed to eat? :cry:
Seems like I can either have a healthy BS or a healthy cholesterol level, but not both! Plus I have other conditions which make me more prone to heart problems, so what to do for the best?
Nothing about diabetes is easy, is it? :***:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Do you use coconut oil in your diet? Coconut oil is a good oil by the way.
Remember cholesterol isn't a disease, our body produces it all on its ownsome. When you low carb and add more fats it can go up for a while. Also have you had the results split into HDL and LDL? HDL good LDL bad apparently.
There is also evidence to suggest that cholesterol goes up the older we get, it protects us.

M

Maybird

Luna21 said:
I got my 6 monthly results yesterday and my HbA1c is 40 mmol, which I'm pleased with, however my cholesterol has gone up to 4.9 which obviously I'm not too happy with. That's a rise of 1.6 I think.

I am substituting protein, and some 'healthy' fats, ie more chicken in my diet to compensate for less carbs, so this must be the cause. I use olive oil for cooking, but sparingly. I don't eat much red meat, although I do eat cheese.

I'm rather disappointed about my cholesterol going up as many on here who follow low carb diets seem to be able to eat more fats and still keep their cholesterol low. My weight is well below target now, and I can't afford to lose any more, so what on earth am I supposed to eat? :cry:
Seems like I can either have a healthy BS or a healthy cholesterol level,
but not both! Plus I have other conditions which make me more prone to heart problems, so what to do for the best?
Nothing about diabetes is easy, is it? :***:

Luna I have the same problem with raised cholesterol I take statins and I have been on a low fat diet for the last 8 years
I am now prediabetic but can't really go very low carb as I can't afford to loose any weight either.
Everyone talks about how the low carb diet is good for lowering BG and loosing weight but no one seems to have an answer for us skinnies who do not need the weight loss

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I low carb, and I haven't lost any weight.
And remember statins will reduce cholesterol in the short term, but they don't do anything to prevent heart conditions. Cholesterol has nothing to do with the heart.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
dawnmc said:
And remember statins will reduce cholesterol in the short term, but they don't do anything to prevent heart conditions. Cholesterol has nothing to do with the heart.

Statins reduced my cholesterol long term, and I'd be interested why you don't think if affects the blood supply to the heart?
I'm ok taking them, and intend to continue to keep my cholesterol down.

collectingrocks

Given a choice, I would rather high(er) cholesterol than high BS as cholesteral carries less inflammatory markers.

Just my tuppence worth...

fatbird

Total cholesterol is a meaningless number-statins damage muscles-the heart is a muscle.

FB

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
fatbird said:
Total cholesterol is a meaningless number-statins damage muscles-the heart is a muscle.

FB

Statins damage muscles for some people and a change of statin often resolves the problem. I changed from Simvastatin to Atorvastatin as the former did cause me problems, the latter does not. I run pretty well for my age and considering I chucked beer fags and **** food at my body for al lot of years.

Still make me fart a lot though

L

Luna21

Thanks for the replies.

I'm already on Simvastatin, and am happy to continue it. Unfortunately I was in such a tizz yesterday that I forgot to ask for a breakdown on my cholesterol. I can access my diabetes results through the Scottish My Diabetes network, but the results take ages to be actually put into the system.

I wouldn't be too bothered if I wasn't at a greater risk of heart problems already....I have familial high BP, and high cholesterol, so not much chance of me escaping it unfortunately! My Mum has both, is slim, barely touches alcohol. like myself, and fit as a fiddle - so other causes have to be to blame.

Sometimes I wonder if Purgatory would be easier, as I don't smoke, don't drink, don't eat any cakes, biscuits or sweets! I'm a very good girl! :lolno: Then again, I look at my family, and I'm very glad to still be here and enjoy life. :D

M

Maybird

Good for you to many negative talk about statins on this forum.Yes the heart is a muscle as someone said but would the British Heart Foundation recommend them if they thought they caused heart problems I don't think so

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Luna21 said:
I wouldn't be too bothered if I wasn't at a greater risk of heart problems already....I have familial high BP, and high cholesterol, so not much chance of me escaping it unfortunately!

And there lies the problem....FH.

A couple of years back my TC went slightly above the recommended target cholesterol level of 4 and the consultant brought up the subject of statins, after asking here on the forum and doing a bit of research I found an article that said the drug Artovastatin is as effective in a low dose (20mg) than what Simvastatin is in a higher dose (40mg), so perhaps a change of statin might see your cholesterol levels rduce, anyway no harm in asking Luna!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I was on 40mg of Simvastatin. 20mg Atorvastatin now instead with the same results last time I checked

My GP is flexible and tweeks the meds when I ask.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they gave me 4 targets when I was diagnosed, 1) Lose Weight, 2) get my BP down, 3) Get my HbA1c down & 4) Get my cholesterol down

I've achieved the first three, but my cholesterol went up... anyone would think it was the end of the world the way I was being hectored to take statins...

They were most upset with my diet (LCHF) and basically told me to start eating more carbs and healthy wholegrains and cut down on the sat fats.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mongoose39uk said:
I was on 40mg of Simvastatin. 20mg Atorvastatin now instead with the same results last time I checked

It would appear there's some truth in the article Mongoose :thumbup:

Wish I'd saved it to my favourites :(

M

Maybird

douglas99 said:
dawnmc said:

Statins reduced my cholesterol long term, and I'd be interested why you don't think if affects the blood supply to the heart?
I'm ok taking them, and intend to continue to keep my cholesterol down.

Yes statins are supposed to help your heart not harm it

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
noblehead said:
Luna21 said:
I wouldn't be too bothered if I wasn't at a greater risk of heart problems already....I have familial high BP, and high cholesterol, so not much chance of me escaping it unfortunately!

And there lies the problem....FH.

!
We are not all the same in the way out body deals with dietary fat.
There is a known gene (ApoE) that is involved with the way the body deals with fat. It comes in three different versions (alleles) Since we inherit one allele from our father and one from our mother, there are 6 different combinations. Around 61% (in the UK) have a combination which seems to very good/neutral at dealing with fat clearance. There are 2 combinations which seem to be protective against heart disease.(particularly in women)
There are 25%, so a quarter of us in the UK that have one of 3 combinations which are thought to predispose to slower fat clearance and raised cholesterol. These people may be particularly susceptible to problems from high levels of saturated fat in the diet. They also may be even more susceptible if they smoke. on the other hand, lots of fruit and veg however may help to counteract some of these problems.

Most of us don't know our genetic heritage and so we have to deal with how our own body responds; and because our genes differ, then what works for one, won't work for another person

C

catherinecherub

Hi Luna,

It is difficult when you have FH.

Has anyone ever discussed the Portfolio diet with you. Obviously you will have to test your blood sugars but some of the recommended foods may help to lower you cholesterol.

http://heartuk.org.uk/images/uploads/he ... _portD.pdf

Atorvastatin is off patent now and Drs are more willing to prescribe it.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/th ... qCVxSgx-FI

It works differently that simvastatin and this article explains that it is more potent thus you need a smaller dose.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-di ... tments.htm

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
It works differently that simvastatin and this article explains that it is more potent thus you need a smaller dose.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-di ... tments.htm

That's not the same article I found but says the same thing.......thanks Catherine I'll save it to my favourites for future reference :thumbup:

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:

4.9 is below the UK average. What was your HDL ? the ratio total/HDL is what drives the heart risk charts, if your HDL was say 1.7 then the ratio would be 2.9 and not even on the risk graph.