So... im a type 1 diabetic

littosnowy

Have been for 13 years. At my old doctors I was getting messed around with my medication. Either they were avoiding giving me test strips or just not giving me any medication at all , so I decided to swap. Been fine for the last 4 months was getting stuff every week including 1 box of strips a week ...

Now i went there to be told I'm only allowed 2 boxes of strips a month when I have badly controlled diabetes. I explained this to them and they do not seem to care I've been told i can only test 2 times a day. I usually test 7 times a day and they are telling me this is too much. I test 4 times as i take insulin 4 times a day and i keep 2-3 for hypos or if im high.

I dont know if im in the wrong with this but i seem to feel like im being attacked by any doctor i go to and im starting to get depressed with my illness again. How can i control it if i can not test ??? i went through a rough patch a few years ago where i didn't feel well at all and i tested alot.

Do any of you think i test to much ? cause i have no idea where to turn next. any advice /help on this would be appricated.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately I don't have any advise, but I just wanted to say that I find your doctor telling you to only test 4 times a day ridiculous and I'm quite annoyed by it.

You need to test before meals, before bed and before driving (if you drive) and some people also check post meal. That amounts to more than 4 strips a day!!

I hope someone else can give you some helpful guidance.

Good luck!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm just wondering if you'd be better off under the care of your local hospital diabetes clinic if your control is bad, once they get involved you can ask them to write to your gp and request that you are given enough test strips to control your diabetes effectively. No way is 4 strips a day enough and if your going to get on top of your diabetes you do need to test more frequently.

There is a letter that was sent out to all gp surgeries back in February from the Dept of Health advising them not to restrict test strips for those on insulin, I'll post it later and you can make a copy and give to your gp just to remind them.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Best advice would be speak to your consultant/dsn. explain the situation to them and they will agree with you on how many strips is reasonable, they will then inform your gp of how many to prescribe you and remind your surgery type 1s should not be.limited to set amounts. You ned what you need. Always need to test for driving,pre meal to determine how much insulin to dose based on current level, 2 hours after each meal to make sure you dosed correctly. Add on pre and post exercise as funny things can happen then, and advised to test more regular during illness. your gp is being a bit incompetant here.

Ps, I test daily minimum 7 times a day.

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shout you are entitled to everything that you need and 4 times a day is not enough. Ask them how much a prosthetic limb costs and tell them that could be the result from under testing!!! We as diabetics don't warrant special treatment but we do need the equipment to control our condition. All the best. Pete

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

ExpectSuccess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
idiot advice about cals in and cals out and gms of carbs to eat per day from so-called professionals
if you are type one, you need to test at least 7-8 times a day. I would complain to your area medical authority or go to your MP's surgery.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Contact the practice manager initially and explain your needs and why, be prepared to consider switching meters to one with more cost effective strips. Ask about local testing guidelines. The next step is to ask for a copy of their complaints procedure.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Westie2 said:
be prepared to consider switching meters to one with more cost effective strips.

No do not consider changing Meters - as type one we are allowed to chose the best meter to suit us and there should be no restrictions on what strips you have. It doesnt matter about the cost as the NHS has agreed (i believe its explained more in the letter you have linked above?)

littosnowy

Thank you for all your replys.

I've been told i can not switch meters anyway in my area all diabetics have been stuck on the wave sense jazz meter....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
littosnowy said:

I've been told i can not switch meters anyway in my area all diabetics have been stuck on the wave sense jazz meter....

See a consultant ASAP. this is against NICE regulations as a type one diabetic

"Self-monitoring of blood glucose control

Advise use of self-monitoring as part of an integrated package including:
– appropriate insulin regimens
– other diabetes education.
D

Advise use of meters and strips chosen to suit individual needs (but not use of sites other
than the fingertips for self-monitoring).
D

Advise a frequency of self-monitoring depending on:
– characteristics of an individual’s blood glucose control
– insulin treatment regimen
– personal preference in using the results to achieve the desired lifestyle.
D

Teach self-monitoring skills close to time of diagnosis and initiation of insulin therapy.
D

Interpret results in the light of clinically significant life events.
D

Reassess skills, use of results and equipment used at least annually. "

from NICE http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG ... fguide.pdf

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
littosnowy said:

I've just finished a DAFNE course and they said the meter you use should be able to test for Ketones. I also had the Wavesense Jazz and ketone strips ( urine test ones ). They said they no longer advocate these ketone strips and gave me a Glucomen LX which can test both. Apparently your doc cannot refuse ? This is the info I received anyway. Good luck !
Mo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mo1905 said:
I've just finished a DAFNE course and they said the meter you use should be able to test for Ketones. I also had the Wavesense Jazz and ketone strips ( urine test ones ). They said they no longer advocate these ketone strips and gave me a Glucomen LX which can test both. Apparently your doc cannot refuse ? This is the info I received anyway. Good luck !
Mo

That's interesting that they no longer recommend the Ketostix. I got myself the LX meter last year for the purpose of checking ketones if I'm unwell but gp refused to prescribe the strips, saying that they were far too expensive and unnecessary anyway as the Ketostix work just as well.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The doc said the ketostix will work but it gives a historical reading as the time it takes to get into your urine can be quite long. The test strips give you a more accurate reading and also current. They said your surgery are not allowed to refuse them although they only come in a pot of 10.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
mo1905 said:
littosnowy said:

Mo

Hi Mo, sorry to take the thread slightly off topic, but do you mean the dafne course advised to change from a wave sense jazz meter...? As this is the one I have - is it considered a good / reliable one for blood sugar readings...?
Thanks.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
-Artemis- said:
mo1905 said:
littosnowy said:

Mo

Hi Mo, sorry to take the thread slightly off topic, but do you mean the dafne course advised to change from a wave sense jazz meter...? As this is the one I have - is it considered a good / reliable one for blood sugar readings...?
Thanks.

Well, there's nothing wrong with the meter but it doesn't test for ketones. I had the wavesense jazz but DAFNE nurses said must have a meter that can do this. They gave me a Glucomen LX. She said she will write to my surgery and tell them but they cannot refuse, must be able to test for ketones. You only get 10 strips though. I don't want 2 meters so I told nurse this and she just said they will change prescription for normal test strips too. I would ask your doc to change your meter. You need to be able to test for ketones if you go high or become ill. Urine test strips are no good. Hope this helps.
Mo

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Mo, that's really useful to know... Noone has even mentioned ketones to me, far less tested me / suggested I test - but this is possibly because I'm still in the honeymoon period...?

Anyway, good to know for future ref - and also good to know my current meter is ok for blood sugar testing :)