Type 1 first Christmas

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a type one nothing is out of bounds! just be sensible- if your eating more than 20g of carbs inject for it if not just run slightly higher for a couple of days. Make sure you carb count everything you need to (remember the stuffing!) and enjoy the day :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree, nothing out of bounds (have been caught out with the stuffing in the past too lol)
The harder part is trying to match the insulin to the food spike of the food you are consuming. Something like plain choc, no not an healthy option contains alot of suger (high gi) and alot of fat which slows down the absorbtion of the high sugar content effectively making it a medium gi food. so, for me, I can inject 5~10 mins prior to eating, as long as the ratios are correct. Finding the correct amount of time to inject prior to eating is an essential part of type 1 management.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with others, obviously portion size needs to be taken into considerations and you need to dose acoordingly but there's nothing stopping you enjoying yourself and indulging in some treats......after all its only one day :)

Krisjan

Hi, it's my first Xmas as a type 1 as well, just want to know the story with the stuffing, I usually have sausage stuffing, is it something I should be aware of, thanks

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
i have got to ask about the stuffing too, its my second Christmas as a type 1, but last year I was 8 months pregnant so approached everything over cautiously. I always have a small amount of stuffing my Sunday dinner and nothing odd happens, but was thinking of making my own this Christmas so am wondering if that's a good idea?? What's with the stuffing guys?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Krisjan said:
Hi, it's my first Xmas as a type 1 as well, just want to know the story with the stuffing, I usually have sausage stuffing, is it something I should be aware of, thanks

Works out at around 10-12g of carbs per 50g serving, so it would be best to weigh it first before putting on the plate. I do love stuffing with a roast dinner but keep the portion size small as it all adds up.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
Krisjan said:

Works out at around 10-12g of carbs per 50g serving, so it would be best to weigh it first before putting on the plate. I do love stuffing with a roast dinner but keep the portion size small as it all adds up.

Of course that will depend on the type of stuffing, whether you add breadcrumbs etc, or make from scratch.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with Noblehead. I'm going to eat what I want, drink what I want and if I have high BGs for a few days then, we'll, I deserve it for being so good for the rest of the year!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first Christmas as well, DAFNE course this week, practice this weekend with one party out and one dinner for friends at home.

Will be trying to keep within targets at least for the next week, as I still have work right up to Monday 23rd, then a few days off, barman duties at Christmas, then back in training for a race

ShelleyHarris1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism,ignorance,nastiness,selfishness
SamJB - Here! Here! I definitely agree with you. Bring on all the trimmings, and the champers, and the puds.

QuirkyBit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found Christmas to be a pain some years. More recently I've learnt to just test my blood more often than usual. This usually helps in catching any spikes or lows early.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
QuirkyBit said:
I've found Christmas to be a pain some years. More recently I've learnt to just test my blood more often than usual. This usually helps in catching any spikes or lows early.

So what do you do if you catch a spike?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If u notice a spike, take a correct amount of insulin to counter act sooner than later, and.learn from it to take more insulin with that particular meal, snack next time.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
brett said:
If u notice a spike, take a correct amount of insulin to counter act sooner than later, and.learn from it to take more insulin with that particular meal, snack next time.

Oh, as simple as that. What sort of ratio do you use? How often do you test to catch them? I have been testing +2 hours. And I suppose I should ask what is considered a spike.

My DN only seems interested in hba1c, and has said that trying to get +2 down to say 5 will probably push you low later.

I'm definitely seeing the need to double dose with low GI meals, as I often go low after a meal when the insulin beats the BG.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of different ones lol. Breakfast is 1~10, lunch is 1~15, tea is 1~8. For me, happy to be 7~8 2 hours after. If I take any less insulin will be higher. Even then both after breakfast and lunch need a 10~15 carb snack, not so much to prevent a hypo but to be at least 5 to drive after 4 hours of initial dose.
High carb snacks half of my ratios from meal before to allow a double dose. Also further nb reduce for exercise.
Easier for me on a pump to do a multi dose as there is an option on the pump to have as certain percentage initially, with the rest split over the next hour. Only.use for high fat meals though so don't use it much.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What I was really asking is what do you class as a spike, after how long postprandial, and how much insulin to how many mmols?

Simples eh[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol, sorry. For me having tested for different periods after 1 hour and 2 hours +, I always find my 2 hour reading to be the highest, after that I know it will reduce. So, anything 9 plus 2 hours post meal I class as a spike and would need to correct.
Very rarely I'm above 9 tbh, but, when I am, my pump advises me a correction dose, which could be as small as 0.1 units. Generally, people need 1 unit to lower their levels by 3mmol, but again can vary. for most people using insulin, anything 5 or less 2 hours after food would require a snack to avoid a hypo.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking pre-meal BG since diagnosis, with occasional +2 hr if I felt low. I had been thinking of switching to always doing the +2 and forgetting the pre-meal. I figure that if +2 is ok, then the next pre-meal is going to be ok, and if the +2 is bad, then there's time to do something about it. Do you think that sounds sensible?