I'm sure this is perfectly normal but...

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my pump fitted 2 days ago and it only has saline in it at the moment so that I can get used to it etc. I changed my set this morning for the first time and once the old one was out I started doubting whether I really wanted to be hooked up to something 24/7. I thought that I'd love having a pump (granted I'm still having to inject as well at the moment), but I didn't really want to put another set in and be wired up again. Does everyone have these thoughts to begin with? Do you ever get used to always carrying this thing around? I have put another one in and everything's fine but (and I'm sure this is because it doesn't have insulin in), I'm constantly thinking about disconnecting. Any advice please?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I skipped that step ( with sailine) and couldnt imagine life without the pump (after 3 weeks nearly) I think when you get the insulin in it and you see the difference itll make you wont feel like that. Ive noticed the last couple of days the sore bits on my legs that i didnt even realise were sore arent anymore - not injecting 4+ times a day makes all the difference. when do you get the real stuff?

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Engineer88 said:
I skipped that step ( with sailine) and couldnt imagine life without the pump (after 3 weeks nearly) I think when you get the insulin in it and you see the difference itll make you wont feel like that. Ive noticed the last couple of days the sore bits on my legs that i didnt even realise were sore arent anymore - not injecting 4+ times a day makes all the difference. when do you get the real stuff?

Insulin goes in in 2 weeks. I can't wait, although I know it'll be all I think about once it's in, what with having to get the basal correct and everything. I'm praying it goes relatively smoothly.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
By the sounds of it, most people have their doubts about the pump at first (especially during the saline stage) but once they get in to the swing of things it seems to change a lot of lives for the better!

Let us know how you get on with it, Lucie. All the best!